Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on vacation this past week, and was able to get out detecting on a few occasions. It had been a productive week, with two intact buckles recovered, along with assorted other goodies. All great vacations must come to a close, and today was my last day. So...decided to get out digging one last time. Apparently the expression " Good things come in threes" also applies to buckles. I found #3 for me this week just as I was finishing up my hunt. What are the odds of finding three buckles in one week? I'm sure I will never be able to re-create that streak of good fortune. Thanks for looking. Third intact buckle 6 27 16 012.JPG Third intact buckle 6 27 16 008.JPG Third intact buckle 6 27 16 013.JPG

Upvote 19

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing buckle collection. Those are some early buckles. The silver one is banner material, and the collection as well.

My vote is going in

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 complete buckles is an amazing accomplishment. It's tough to tell but if that silver one is what's referred to as a stud chape it's likely 1660-1720. A solid silver buckle is super high on my list. You just found a lifetime of buckles for a lot of people. I'm really interested in knowing more about the silver buckle. I will do some research and get back to you. If it's what I think it may be it's an easy BANNER in my opinion. Those damn things are SUPER hard to find. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible! That's my kinda vacation. I'm drooling over the silver one. Are there any makers marks or hallmarks on the back of it? They should be on the back of the frame near the pin or at the end. A lot of silver ones have makers marks and I've even found a brass frame piece with them. Just one amazing week man.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and I believe the silver one is a belt or harness buckle. The stud would have attached it to a leather strap... so I just read!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! A bucket lister for me, Awesome finds!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
3 complete buckles is an amazing accomplishment. It's tough to tell but if that silver one is what's referred to as a stud chape it's likely 1660-1720. A solid silver buckle is super high on my list. You just found a lifetime of buckles for a lot of people. I'm really interested in knowing more about the silver buckle. I will do some research and get back to you. If it's what I think it may be it's an easy BANNER in my opinion. Those damn things are SUPER hard to find. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment

That buckle was from someone of wealth and status. I would put this in the super rare category. I've not seen anything this nice, and it looks ready to use. Agreed Abe - an amazing accomplishment

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Simply awesome buckles. Congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of buckles! If you are digging those, surely you found some other 18th century relics and coins? We would love to see what else you unearthed.
I would also like to see the other side of the silver buckle.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of these buckles is unbelievable! I've never even found one completely intact, much less in this fine condition. Banner material!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really appreciate everyone's feedback! It means a great deal coming from fellow T-NET'ers. In response to some of your questions...
-I can not locate anything that resembles a hallmark or maker's mark on the silver buckle. In a previous thread ( 6/19) I posted some additional pictures
-I have found some other items from roughly the same time period as these buckles...but not many. One button, a KGII half penny (very rough condition), multiple oxen shoes, and a variety of square nails and other odd bits of iron. The three buckles were found scattered across a large wooded area (about 4 square miles) that border a lake.
HH to all!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how I missed your post to this point but, WOW! Congrat-U-Freaking-Lations! :occasion14:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I agree it's time for some buckles on the banner, these ones deserve it. Wow, big congrats they are gorgeous. I don't have the chance to dig colonial buckles (or anything colonial), and I always like seeing them posted. Got my vote.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OutdoorAdv gave me a link to the dug pic of the silver buckle. Oh man, did you fall over when you saw that thing?!!! I would have.

I hope the silver buckle makes it up top. Like J. Cache above me said, we need some buckles on top. My banner vote was already cast but I hope others come to understand how special that buckle is...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread