it was DEEP !!

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE
sorry i forgot to post this ring i found at a site not too far from where i got the v and shield nickels last week ... it is from what used to be an old church site built in 1837 with a picnic grove beside it...it read as a scratchy quarter...scratchy because i discriminate out gold when i hunt parks ( 2 many pop tabs for me ) but it is a SILVER ring with GOLD inlay on the sides hence the scratchy signal. but it came out right at 11 inches so yea it was a deepie but it still looks great and the hinge still works perfectly.

thanks for lookin
9volt

Attachments

• poison ring - july 2007 (2).jpg
    poison ring - july 2007 (2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • poison ring - july 2007 (3).jpg
    poison ring - july 2007 (3).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,299
  • poison ring - july 2007 (4).jpg
    poison ring - july 2007 (4).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,292
  • poison ring - july 2007.jpg
    poison ring - july 2007.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,290
Upvote 0
OP
OP
9volt

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE
Historyhound said:
Here's what I can tell you about that ring. Being that it was that deep, it could have some age to it, and the timeline will fit. Those types of rings were very popular in the late 1700's thru the mid 1800's. Back then some people threw their waste right out the front door and into the streets. And these rings were worn, mostly by ladies, but men too, and they would put a scented piece of cotton or material into the ring so that when then walked (or rode) by the rotting trash in the street, they could open the ring to take a whiff of the scent that was in it to help them get by the overpowering stench that filled the air around them. Granted, it's not as riveting as a story of poison pills and such, but it is fact. Nice find!!

thanks for the info ...i never even thought of that

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Although probably not as valuable as the periodot in the banner, I think this ring is cool enough to be up there. I've always seen these things depicted in cartoons and on tv, but never actually seen one.

harpp

Jul 20, 2006
san jose ca.
Detector(s) used
WHITES CLASSIC 3/ WHITES M 6
that has got to be THE COOLEST ring ive ever seen. i bet if it could talk.......... it would tell some tall tales. its got personality!! WTG !! ;)

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Nice find, I did a search on secret compartment rings and found a lot of links on rings similar to this one and most of them were used for "poison" or "perfume"

Poison rings are used for storing herbs, potions, powders and other small objects. In darker times poison rings were used to poison people without their knowledge, the sorceress would have her poison ready in the ring and dump it into the victims drink without his knowledge. The same was used for aphrodisiacs. These rings have hinges that open and close.

Here is a link with some info ...
http://www.faycullen.com/rings/800/ece118r1.html

This link has more current styles of the ring ...
http://stores.ebay.com/Wedding-Rings-for-Less_Poison-Rings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

If there is a way to authenicate your ring as a 16th/17th century original, it could be worth a lot of money.

OP
OP
9volt

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE
TeddyB1967 said:
Nice find, I did a search on secret compartment rings and found a lot of links on rings similar to this one and most of them were used for "poison" or "perfume"

Poison rings are used for storing herbs, potions, powders and other small objects. In darker times poison rings were used to poison people without their knowledge, the sorceress would have her poison ready in the ring and dump it into the victims drink without his knowledge. The same was used for aphrodisiacs. These rings have hinges that open and close.

Here is a link with some info ...
http://www.faycullen.com/rings/800/ece118r1.html

This link has more current styles of the ring ...
http://stores.ebay.com/Wedding-Rings-for-Less_Poison-Rings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

If there is a way to authenicate your ring as a 16th/17th century original, it could be worth a lot of money.

thanks for the info and links....and thanks to ALL who took the time to look....

keep the coil low and slow good hunting to all

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
well like everyone, cool ring

R

RUDY2003

Cool find 9volt.
My wife has two similar in design, just reproductions....

Keep diggin deeeeppppp.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread