It was in the 2nd year of the CONFEDERATE WAR...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think that y'all are on the correct "track"... by the CONFEDERATE WAR, Robert Morriss/Morris was DEAD in 1863; NO MO RM! NO MO Thomas J. Beale, Thomas Jefferson Beale/Beall, etc., NO MO Washington Hotel, NO MO "Beale Expedition of 1817-1822"), etc. CIPHERS...? COULD be from the CONFEDERATE WAR... AND! 1st Lt. Newton Hazlewood.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Looking a little farther, we find that Shadrack Brown and Hannah had left Bedford and were living in Abbeville, South Carolina by 1800 and on February18, 1815 Shadrack wrote his will in which he named Hannah Brown as his wife and he named his two children. The will was entered into probate on March 2, 1815 in Abbeville...
Abbeville, SC was where Jefferson Davis and part of his cabinet stayed at Marshall's WHITEHALL PLANTATION, including CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin, CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge, and Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood, before their final flight.
This is after James Beverly Ward's cousin, CSA Major Edward Sixtus Hutter, saved Judah P Benjamin's personal annotated copy of Vattel's LAW OF NATIONS, which was used as a Confederate codebook...
...but that is another treasure story, or is it?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize for the genealogy posts that probably bore most of you to death. My justification is that Robert Morris along with Thomas Beale are the two most prominent figures in the Beale treasure pamphlet. Robert, we know is a real person and Thomas Beale, we’re not at all sure about...
Actually the MOST PROMINENT FIGURE is the "unknown author".
Without his manuscript that became the Beale Papers job pamphlet, there would be no story
This "unknown author" is the presenter of all the information in the Beale Papers, the "perilous adventure" as revealed in the "letters", the description of Robert Morriss and what Morriss told him during the "2nd year of the Confederate War", to the DOI solving of C2, and failure at the other two ciphers, to his giving Ward the finished manuscript for Ward to act as copyright agent and publisher.
Without the written word of this "unknown author" the entire Beale adventure/treasure story would have been unknown.

Returning to an earlier question: Did Sarah Mitchell Morriss know the Beale treasure story (she is mentioned in the job pamphlet by name) or did the widow Anzoletta Saunders or one of her sons overhear what Morriss told the "unknown author" and did they know this "unknown author" who they let into their home to interview Morriss?

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Actually the MOST PROMINENT FIGURE is the "unknown author".
Without his manuscript that became the Beale Papers job pamphlet, there would be no story
This "unknown author" is the presenter of all the information in the Beale Papers, the "perilous adventure" as revealed in the "letters", the description of Robert Morriss and what Morriss told him during the "2nd year of the Confederate War", to the DOI solving of C2, and failure at the other two ciphers, to his giving Ward the finished manuscript for Ward to act as copyright agent and publisher.
Without the written word of this "unknown author" the entire Beale adventure/treasure story would have been unknown.

Returning to an earlier question: Did Sarah Mitchell Morriss know the Beale treasure story (she is mentioned in the job pamphlet by name) or did the widow Anzoletta Saunders or one of her sons overhear what Morriss told the "unknown author" and did they know this "unknown author" who they let into their home to interview Morriss?
Dunno; PROBABLY never will...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Abbeville, SC was where Jefferson Davis and part of his cabinet stayed at Marshall's WHITEHALL PLANTATION, including CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin, CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge, and Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood, before their final flight.
This is after James Beverly Ward's cousin, CSA Major Edward Sixtus Hutter, saved Judah P Benjamin's personal annotated copy of Vattel's LAW OF NATIONS, which was used as a Confederate codebook...
...but that is another treasure story, or is it?
IMH, it is the SAME... here's why; CSA Maj. E. S. Hutter saved the VLoN & bought it to L'burg, later giving it to his son-in-Law, an Attorney. AFTER the CONFEDERATE WAR, Maj. ES Hutter created a BUILDING COMPANY, the RIVER MOUNT COMPANY, building the ORIGINAL River Mount Bridge across Black Water Creek (This bridge is near where Robert Morris had his Washington Inn/House on 5th Street & Main in L'burg; HEAD of Main Street). NOW! The Richmond Stores were the WESTERN VIRGINIA portion of the CSA Treasury plus $$$$$$$$$$ from Banks of Virginia, sent to L'burg, LAST state capital of VIRGINIA, April 7-10, 1865... AND! $$$$$$$$$$ to re-build Lexington, Va. & VMI (destroyed by Yank General "Black Dave" Hunter). "Beale Treasure" was just a "code name" for CSA TREASURY - WESTERN VIRGINIA; even Peter Viemeister thought so; CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVER-UP: Duty, Honor, & Deceit. (2004).

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS,
Interesting links! They will certainly help me flesh out my Buford and Otey Trees...
On the Buford family link did you notice that Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward's sister, Sarah Ann Otey married Samuel H Saunders?
...or John William Sherman's mother was Harriet P Otey, daughter of John H Otey and Elizabeth Buford Otey?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Then we have Clayton Hart's wife, the daughter of Issac Otey and Pauline Innis was shown an iron box with a torn slip of numbers covered paper by an Otey family member...
...Robert Morriss was in business with John B Otey and Ward with Harriet's brother, John Otey.
All in the family, a definite Otey connection.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... James Beverly Ward's brother in law ran a tavern or ordinary at Buford's Gap the one that stood on the West side of the Gap. There is a photo of it in Edward Pollock's book, Sketchbook of Lynchburg. Another Buford had a tavern or ordinary on the East side of Buford's Gap where the spring is beside the road today. The tavern stood between US 460 and the railroad tracks.
Maybe TJB was referring to this Buford's instead of Henry and Paschal Buford. That tavern may have been owned by Thomas Buford. The old Indian trail crossed near here and ran across the spurs of the Blue Ridge into Botetourt County to Brugh's Mill in Nelson County.
The Brugh's Mill is a likely place for TJB and party to have stayed at. The Mill was later removed behind the Buford's Tavern and up on Roanoke Mountain and is now called Mill Mountain. They have a zoo up there. George Radar Brugh was Proprietor of the Planter's Hotel in St. Louis, MO and it was with him that Thomas Beale left the letter to be delivered to Robert Morriss in Lynchburg, Va with a ten year waiting period. The envelope had on it "To Be Delivered June, 1832" signed in small handwriting along the bottom edge Thomas J. Beale.
George Radar Brugh and his traveling companion were killed at the Blackhorse Tavern on Tinker Creek in Roanoke, Virginia by Ebenezer Nelms, proprietor and a member of the TJB original party in 1817. He was wounded by James Purcell while mining the gold in the New Mexico Territory and returned home to stay in 1819.
He later died falling down the stairs of the Blackhorse Tavern. Many believed he was pushed by the ghost of George Radar Brugh.
Where is it confirmed that Ebenezer Nelms was a member of Beale's perilous adventure party?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Read the book by Claudine Fulton Ellis..
George Radar Brugh was proprietor of the Planter's Hotel in St. Louis, Mo. There was a portrait of him hanging in the lobby of the hotel. TJB must have paid him handomely for him to take a companion and deliver the letter personally to Robert Morriss. All though he never made it. Yes Claudine Fulton Ellis saw the letter and it was in a family Bible in the attic of the Blackhorse Tavern with about one inch of dust on top of it. She may not mention all of this in her book. I heard it first hand from her.
While the Planter's Hotel in St Louis did exist during the Beale time period given in the job print pamphlet, George Radar Brugh was NOT the proprietor during that time, Evarist Maury was.
This seems to be another piece of lore that gets passed around as fact.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I know where Ebenezer Nelms buried George Radar Brugh and his companion. Claudine placed a marker where their graves are located...
Thomas Beale also attended the wedding of Ebenezer Nelms in 1826 at the Peaks Presbyterian Church. I have been there also and encountered some ghostly experience upon trying to go up the concrete steps to the church.
So you can say it is Beale Lore, I say it is just some other things that have to be checked out.
The names of Beale's Party was in the back of this Bible.
Is there is documentation outside of Claudine Fulton Ellis's book and your word that can confirm that the Thomas Beale character of the Beale Papers attended Ebenezer Nelms' wedding?
If not, it is considered lore, plain and simple.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS You have a rage that needs fixed. GEt HElp.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin, you need to answer the questions that arise from these posts you make as if they are fact.
You do seem to get very upset when the information you post is questioned.
Why is that?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, you need to answer the questions that arise from these posts you make as if they are fact.
You do seem to get very upset when the information you post is questioned.
Why is that?

I would tell you what I think of you personally but I don't want banned yet. First let me say you PM'd me regularly about other posters if I could I would share those thoughts with our viewers. But now when everyone does not agree with you then you come out to billify them. Well I personally take that as personal attacks and not beneficial to any thread. You act as though you want information then you tear that information to shreds and try to make a personal attack. Your personal attacks should be getting the attention of the moderators but hey they are not listening.

I will put it like this you do not ask me any more questions. You do not say anything about me unless you say them to my face. I have had it with you and I want to have nothing else to do with you.

I think you are an armchair treasure hunter.
You do not read any books therefor you do not buy any books.
You do no research.
All of your information and replies come from the Internet.
Now if you are a treasure hunter why do not you post anything you have done. ANYTHING?
You can not all you do is get on everyone else's case and rant all the day long.
Get a life.
LEAVE ME ALONE AND I WILL IGNORE YOU> THANKS

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You do accuse me of doing the very same things that you do, and all I ever asked was for you to verify or clarify some of the information that you continually post as fact.
If one wants to discover the truth behind a treasure story, they should accept the fact that their work will be scrutinized and questioned.

Your above post has clarified much concerning these "facts" and how you respond to TN members who question these facts.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread