its been such a long time

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
it's been such a long time

I haven't posted some finds in forever. I was out for a drive with my detector this afternoon and came upon a field yet to be sewn for the season. I took a walk around and quickly discovered an old colonial site!
I spent about two and a half hours digging and found a few goodies. Although the usual nit noids were few and far between, I did recover about twentyfive or so buttons( one was a domed pewter military button, kinda far gone, but I could still make out the garter in the design). A few coins were kicking around, mostly crusties, but they seemed to date from late 1700s to 18 teens. Best of the lot was a Spanish 8 marvedis 1797! The odd guy out was an 1860 something Indian head which was an obvious later drop. Also found a frame from a wax seal, sadly the stone or jewel was missing :(
It felt good to get out for a dig, hopefully I'll get another crack at this site when the crop is gone.

Ps, pics were taken with my iPod touch and aren't of great quality :(

Attachments

• image-981342122.jpg
    image-981342122.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image-748471768.jpg
    image-748471768.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1684123486.jpg
    image-1684123486.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 11

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the right area.

Yes, its always said to see the stone missing, but its pretty typical of ploughed land. HH

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Love the frame for the wax seal even if it is missing the seal.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Marivedes. :) :hello2:

That's an awesome spot you have there!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy, it's good to see you finally post something after so long...Those are some very nice finds for a short period of time. I bet there's still a ton out in that field and more military too...surprised you never pulled any musketballs out...
Hope to see more postings...

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey buddy, it's good to see you finally post something after so long...Those are some very nice finds for a short period of time. I bet there's still a ton out in that field and more military too...surprised you never pulled any musketballs out...
Hope to see more postings...

That was the one strange thing I did notice today was the absence of lead(just a few little blobs) There weren't any musket balls yet!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good quality, and quanty of finds, come on down ! to south dirtyville for a dig. And bring that other fellow with you., Hay is being cut, and stuff will be found. I have a ton of ideas.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
good quality, and quanty of finds, come on down ! to south dirtyville for a dig. And bring that other fellow with you., Hay is being cut, and stuff will be found. I have a ton of ideas.

There's nothing I would rather do than that,but, the bills are still filling up the mailbox lol. Seriously, another trip across would be lots of fun and I'm sure we'd find plenty.
We should discuss that further in the fall. Until then I'm going to work on filling up the detecting fund and getting ready for some great digging on all your best sites!
Take care Rick. We'll be in touch

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Right on! By the way, which part of Canada you from?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see you had a great time digging in the dirt, the frame work from the seal is a sweet find and still so high on the want list, congrats on the coppers and relics.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your lucky to have area's that old to hunt....My area was founded in the mid 1880's.....The oldest possible finds that I could ever find would be copper arrow heads or float copper..About 30 years ago I found some nice agates about the size of a 50 cent pieces...other than that my oldest find is 1934.....

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Your lucky to have area's that old to hunt....My area was founded in the mid 1880's.....The oldest possible finds that I could ever find would be copper arrow heads or float copper..About 30 years ago I found some nice agates about the size of a 50 cent pieces...other than that my oldest find is 1934.....

Just because the area is 1880s doesn't mean you can't find older items than that, it's funny how older stuff shows up everywhere!

I like native artifacts too, and have found a few, good luck with your hunts!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly the usual suspects except for the Spanish. I have dug one that I can recall, but pretty sure I have one or two more. You definitely had a much easier time to find a site than the Patriot and I did. I'd rather watch from the cheap seats than have to do that every time.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done IronHorse, you defenatly are on to a good spot but I don't think you need me to tell you that. The wax seal frame tells the hole story.
My brother found an early 1800s Spanish Marvedis while he was walking on a beach over on the Island. When he passed away it ended up with me, I just wish he told me which beach he had got it from.
ZDD

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Mostly the usual suspects except for the Spanish. I have dug one that I can recall, but pretty sure I have one or two more. You definitely had a much easier time to find a site than the Patriot and I did. I'd rather watch from the cheap seats than have to do that every time.

It was a fluke really, I stopped briefly at a spot up the road( literally two minutes away) and the mosquitoes were just too bad; then another five minutes away I drove down a lane towards the shore and voila there was a field. It had all the hallmarks of a field we would normally hit, nice little hill on a rise up from the bank , south facing. I was all over it! We will get back this fall after the harvest for a second crop of relics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread