its been such a long time

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
it's been such a long time

I haven't posted some finds in forever. I was out for a drive with my detector this afternoon and came upon a field yet to be sewn for the season. I took a walk around and quickly discovered an old colonial site!
I spent about two and a half hours digging and found a few goodies. Although the usual nit noids were few and far between, I did recover about twentyfive or so buttons( one was a domed pewter military button, kinda far gone, but I could still make out the garter in the design). A few coins were kicking around, mostly crusties, but they seemed to date from late 1700s to 18 teens. Best of the lot was a Spanish 8 marvedis 1797! The odd guy out was an 1860 something Indian head which was an obvious later drop. Also found a frame from a wax seal, sadly the stone or jewel was missing :(
It felt good to get out for a dig, hopefully I'll get another crack at this site when the crop is gone.

Ps, pics were taken with my iPod touch and aren't of great quality :(

Attachments

• image-981342122.jpg
    image-981342122.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image-748471768.jpg
    image-748471768.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1684123486.jpg
    image-1684123486.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 11
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Well done IronHorse, you defenatly are on to a good spot but I don't think you need me to tell you that. The wax seal frame tells the hole story.
My brother found an early 1800s Spanish Marvedis while he was walking on a beach over on the Island. When he passed away it ended up with me, I just wish he told me which beach he had got it from.
ZDD

This my second one that I can recall, so I knew it right away. Yeah if you knew the shore where he was walking I'd bet the nearby fields would have held a worthy site.
I'm hoping that there will more to find there in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread