Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Bent But What The Hay!-*Restored Photo Added*

I have attached the restored belt plate to the bottom of this message.

A well done job by Roland Frodigh of Hallowed Ground Restorations.

I found this a week and a half ago but just got the photos taken.

This is a ca. 1810 militia belt plate that was issued by the Federal Government to the states to use for their militias uniforms. As I understand the story, when the War of Northern Aggression broke out the Southern States armory's issued these to the Confederate Army troops. They were available and put into service. The Northern States didn't need to use old equipment and they were not issued to their armies. So, it is a Confederate Civil War item. This seems to be indentified as the "Star of Stars" plate because the big star is made up of smaller stars.

The belt loop and hook are rusted off, they left rust deposits on the back of the plate.

I can say it was quite a thrill to see one of the cannons and part of the shield peeking out of a clod of dirt. Another piece of history saved from rotting away in the ground.

I have contacted a restorer about straitening it out so it will display well. When that is accomplished I'll post it on here.

If anyone reading this has any more information about the plate please fill us all in.

Attachments

• CIMG2261.jpg
    CIMG2261.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,964
  • CIMG2264.jpg
    CIMG2264.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,961
  • Back-2.jpg
    Back-2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,960
  • Restored-1.jpg
    Restored-1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 3

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's Bent But What The Hay!

That is an amazing find!

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find you got there. Until now, I haven't known of anyone else finding one of these! I agree about this probably is not Confederate. Of course, if it were found at a Confederate site, then maybe. The military used the old buttons, etc., pretty much until they were worn out in the early days. I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I might be breaking any rules, but what state was it found? The reason I ask is the one I found was found in Florida. It was actually being used during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). Mine came from a place by the name of "Fort Drane". Here's the story of the place.

During the beginning of the Second Seminole War, General Duncan Clinch had a plantation in Florida called "Auld Lang Syne". He wanted to protect his plantation, so he had a 12 foot high picket work constructed on part of his property, and named it "fort Drane" after Capt. Augustus Drane, its builder. Over the years, there were many troops encamped on his property. This belt-plate was lost by one of the many soldiers who were encamped there. (sorry if I bored you)

You are correct when you called it the "star of stars". This is an officer's sword belt plate of the United States Malitia, circa 1810. On the rarity scale from 1-10 (10 being the rarest) this plate rates as an 8! This is an item that most will never find. Congratulations!

Here is a photo of mine, both the front and back.

Attachments

• 100_2661.jpg
    100_2661.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,228
  • 100_2662.jpg
    100_2662.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,208

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Get a free account at amercianrelichunters.com and contact Hallowed Ground Restorations via that forum. If you post a photo of the plate there, you will receive a response within a day or two.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Get a free account at amercianrelichunters.com and contact Hallowed Ground Restorations via that forum. If you post a photo of the plate there, you will receive a response within a day or two.

Best Wishes,

Buck
Thank you Buck. It is already at Hallowed Ground Restorations being worked on. I expect to have it back in a week or so.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digging a plate is a great way to make your day! Congrats on a great find!

Steve

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

missed this post...Awesome find there.... :icon_thumright: .... please show the restored piece when you get it back..

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's Bent But What The Hay!-*Restored Photo Added*

I have added the restored photo to the original post at the top.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is some beautiful restoration work. Well done! And bravo to Roland.

Cheers,

Buck

fieldslayer

Jun 13, 2010
relocated south jersey veteran finder
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jamesbibb , I agree wholeheartedly ; *** BANNER *** !!! I was waiting to submit it upon straightening ,but what the heck. I'm voting now !! (rare , rare , rare....) I've hunted for a dazzling early plate like this for my entire career !!!

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC

Great find Mac !!!

Fantastic restoration.

Wonder how they do that >? :dontknow:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have attached the restored belt plate to the bottom of this message.

A well done job by Roland Frodigh of Hallowed Ground Restorations.

I found this a week and a half ago but just got the photos taken.

This is a ca. 1810 militia belt plate that was issued by the Federal Government to the states to use for their militias uniforms. As I understand the story, when the War of Northern Aggression broke out the Southern States armory's issued these to the Confederate Army troops. They were available and put into service. The Northern States didn't need to use old equipment and they were not issued to their armies. So, it is a Confederate Civil War item. This seems to be indentified as the "Star of Stars" plate because the big star is made up of smaller stars.

The belt loop and hook are rusted off, they left rust deposits on the back of the plate.

I can say it was quite a thrill to see one of the cannons and part of the shield peeking out of a clod of dirt. Another piece of history saved from rotting away in the ground.

I have contacted a restorer about straitening it out so it will display well. When that is accomplished I'll post it on here.

If anyone reading this has any more information about the plate please fill us all in.

Ahhhh,
A post from before I got on T-Net.
A very good out Come , Look'in Great.
Davers

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks great and didn't realize as well this thread was old but I'm interested too in who did the restoration,excellent work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread