Its dangerous out there

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
It's dangerous out there

I didn't know where to post this so I put it here. Today I was detecting at Heritage Landing in Muskegon when my attention was diverted to a commotion about a hundred feet away. A man was beating a homeless denizen of the park with a chain with a padlock on the end. I have come across this homeless man many times and he is a meek, mild and timid sole who scavenges for bottles and cans in the trash cans.

Needless to say I was outraged by what I was seeing and I quickly ran over and confronted the perpetrator yelling at him to stop. Suprisingly he did stop the assault and squared off against me. Well he thought better of it and withdrew to the safety of his bicycle which he mounted and departed. I am a fairly large man and was really angry so I don't think he wanted a piece of me. It was just as well because I am not a fighter and did not really want it to come to that.

I checked on the condition of the homeless man who was badly beaten his face bloodied and his torso bruised. I did not have a cell phone with me but I got in my car and followed the criminal bike rider hoping that we would cross paths with a patrol car and I could point him out. The fleeing criminal knowing that I was following led me up one street and down another circling around and back and still I couldn't find a cop.

I came to a corner where a couple was talking at their car at the curb and told them what was going on and to please call 911. They said they would and I resumed my pursuit. The bicyclist came to the end of a dead end street and went into an apartment complex at the end where I could not follow. Just then I spotted the patrol car two blocks down and began waving at him.

At this point I still had a visual on the creep and the patrol car, within a minute the police were there. Unfortunately the creep had disappeared around a corner. The officer told me to stay put and he raced around the corner from the other direction. Soon there were 5 or 6 patrol cars cruising the area and the bad news is they did not catch this guy. I had followed this guy for 15 or 20 minutes and when I finally got the police there I still had him in my sight and within 2 minutes he had gottten away. I was totally disgusted with myself for not carrying my cell phone.

I gave my information to the officer and returned to the park where the homeless man was recieving treatment from the EMT's, he will be fine just shaken and bruised. I shook his hand and wished him well and he thanked me for comming to his aid.

I write this story here for a couple of reasons...

First: because I am still venting; it really makes me angry when the strong prey upon the weak.

Second: because this was in broad daylight and there were several others in that park some closer than I who made no move to help or intervene and that makes me angry because I believe that we are all in this together and as much as it is within my power I am my brothers' keeper.

and

Third: because it could just as easily been me or you being savagely attacked while we are just Md'ing in the park or wherever. I would counsel you all to be careful and take precautions for your safety. That guy is still out there because I didn't bring my cell phone and I am sure that across this great country there are many more just like him. I vow never again to go Treasure Hunting without my cell phone.

HH
MichiganRob

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's dangerous out there

holy cow what is the world coming to?

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey MichRob,
You did the right thing, Just sometimes it does,nt work out the way we would like it to.

hunterinthesky

Aug 16, 2008
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 - DX-1 Pinpointer

Excellent Rob. Thank you for sharing. I share your angst and frustration. You are a good person.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Good on you for doing the right thing and not turning away. This creep will get his one day.

There is a disturbing amount of teen violence. Google 'teens beating homeless people'. It should scare the crap out of you.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/19/homeless.attacks/index.html

Above is just one article... the list is long.

I believe it is because of our laws, and the lack of enforcement of the ones still existing. There is no real punishment, hence no deterrent, to committing crimes. Parents and authority figures are not allowed to touch or discipline our youth. Ohhh~ time out! All time out leads to is probation as an adult.

My first beating was at school. The second was when I got home and Mom found out what I did. The third was when Mom told Dad.

I survived, and didn't do things that would cause pain to my lower end after finding out what the definition of discipline was. Today, time out, when that does not work, lets talk.... yap yap yap...

Is it any wonder when a teenager has unlimited free legal counsel with in which to keep the parent and school system at bay?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

You acted more righteous than expected by today's standards and I applaud you,my friend.
If you have to make a choice pack your piece instead of your cell phone next time.

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

This is sickening. Right before I read this post, I read the post where Nat said a guy tried to mug him with a gun while he was detecting... This world is going to hell in a handbag.. I dont believe the "Karma Truck" is eventually going to hit these people that do this stuff either. Its only going to stop when good people intervene and make it stop. You did a good thing and don't beat yourself up for not having your phone, you didn't know that situation was going to happen, I'm sure you'll have it if theres a next time.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70

Rob im sure you saved that mans life.

Thanks for sticking up for the homless fella.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rob, thanks for the post and warning. You certainly have my respect. You did what a civilized human being would have done. I'm glad you were around to help that poor guy, if you hadn't have been there he could have easily been left to die in the street.

Nat

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Thanks for the post MichiganRob. It is too bad the thug got away, but you did everything you could do, and way more than most people would have done. You should be very proud of yourself for saving that man's life.

Jim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your a Good Man Rob !

I blame the meda for Making these People out to
be less then Human because they don't Conform.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In Florida we can carry concealed weapons legally. I carry a weapon when I am going to an area that could potentially be troublesome. I always carry my cell phone. Perhaps if more states allowed concealed weapons criminals would be less bold on their attacks on the innocent and the weak.

You did the right thing - you took action and that was a brave thing to do. Good on You! Us Vietnam Vets have strong feelings about right and wrong.

P.S. criminals will carry guns whether it is legal or not. Perhaps if he doesn't know if you are carrying a weapon or not he would be less apbt to commit a bold face crime in the middle of the day.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

Thanks for doing the right thing, especially when others were too cowardly or unconcerned to help
Our military has a doctrine that a unit should always be capable of doing three things:
Move, shoot and communicate.
It's a dangerous world out there, and I think that principle applies in civilian life as well
And as for the dirtbag, he'll get what's coming to him one day

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You done good Rob! When I was a street cop, I often encountered these homeless folk. Instead of harasssing them I always stopped to visit with them and hear their stories. I bought a few meals and "loaned" a bit of cash to several of them. I also probably bought a lot of alcohol in lieu of food if I really knew. But that was all the comfort some of them had. Many of them were mentally ill and beyond my help. I soon discovered they had their own subculture with unwritten "rules of the street" they followed pretty closely. And like in any society there were a few that preyed on the weaker ones. Over the years they provided a lot of good information about what was really going on in their world and I was able to remove many of the trouble makers and bullies from their midst for which they were thankful. I will be the first to admit that when their world collides with "ours" it creates a problem for both. I don't know what the answer is, but I have found that the faith based organizations do a lot more for them than the government, probably as it should be. Didn't mean to write a desertation, but just had a few thoughts I wanted to share. Thanks Rob. Monty

T

The.Boomer

But for the grace of God, there go I

Were all only one small stumble away from that homeless mans plight, thanks for sticking up for one of our own.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Rob!!
We need more citizens like you who are willing to get involved! But I hate to see bystanders become victims too when they intervene.
if you can legally arm yourself, it's a good idea!! Michigan has had a simplified CCW permit law since 2002, right!?!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your a good person rob, You should be pround :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread