It's here!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody figure out what all the differences are between the 600 and the 800? I know there is the gold mode and the wireless headphones, but not sure what else.

The info is still sparse, but you pretty much covered it there. The base multifrequencies are being advertised at 5, 10, and 15 khz with the 800 adding 20 and 40 khz (plus the wireless headphone capability, both bluetooth and proprietary module). The 800 will add a Prospecting mode in addition to the Park, Field, and Beach modes that will be available on both. What is not clear is if the custom program mode slot(s?) that is on the 800 will also be available on the 600 AND whether the 800 will make use of the 20 and 40 khz frequencies when in multi-frequency mode. Even if you are not a prospector, having those frequency modes available for beach hunting, especially if they are utilized in some sort of simultaneous multi-frequency mode, would make the Equinox a killer on the beach for gold (especially gold chains) and other mid-conductors, like that other much sought after mid-conductor beach treasure, pull tabs.

Sound like the greatest thing since slice bread! Looks like it could make my safari and eureka obsolete. But will it's response time in the single freq be fast enough to replace my fisher 1235x for competition hunts?

Is this fast enough for you? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...UiHQZc&usg=AFQjCNHhx3hy3rmo1DiyWJSlQsnsa2bIEQ BTW - That was in multi-frequency mode. I think it will hold its own at contests with that type of performance if actually delivered in the final product. As always, though I want what Minelab is selling, I am skeptical of the pre-release unit capabilities that can be manipulated in a manner to demonstrate the feature they want to demonstrate while masking a perhaps undesirable or not-ready for prime-time feature. Taking the linked video as an example, I have no idea based on the way the demo was conducted whether the machine was set up in some super fast mode that severely limits its depth capability, because that was not simultaneously demonstrated. Obviously, if you are focused on contest hunts, the depth performance is secondary.

I have been looking for a new machine and need one that can perform well in wet sand since I have nothing that does well there since I sold my sovereign(which I regret)....I have been debating on whether to try and find another sovereign just for beach hunting, buy a ctx which I am not crazy about the weight or price of.....or see if the new AT Max really does perform well in wet sand.....now I am very, very tempted to hold off for this seemingly amazing new machine from Minelab. It almost seems they have built the perfect detector....for me anyway. Part of me wants to pre order one tomorrow but the skeptical side says to hold off. My skeptical side was right with the MX Sport....so what do I do???

IMO The AT Max does not address the most glaring issue I had with the AT Pro > Weight and Balance and User Interface.. I own a Deus, sure, so no comparison. But I do hold other more traditional detectors up to a weight, balance, and ergonomics standard and that is the Fisher F75 (or the Tek T2). Even though, performance wise, those are two different machines (F75 vs. T2), from an ergonomics standpoint (I am not comparing performance here) they are just about the best designed machines out there in my opinion. Not super light, but the weight is distributed beautifully so they FEEL light, the ground grab/pinpoint trigger and simple multi-use pushbutton and rotating knob make these machines a joy to operate and nice large numbers and text. First Texas set the standard for user interface usability IMO and no other detectors I have used have come close. Of course, the First Texas detectors are not waterproof or all terrain which leaves them (as well as the Nokta Impact) out of the AT Pro, MX Sport, AT Max, Equinox discussion for best mid-priced class, all around all-terrain detector. But the weight and user interface flaws, not to mention the single vlf frequency limitation of the Max pretty much seals the deal that the Max will be mediocre at best when it comes to Salt Beach/Surf Hunting. The multi-frequency capability of the Equinox (provided it is implemented competently, if not exactly technologically the same as has been done in the CTX 3030 and eTrac) ensures that the Equinox will beat the Max at salt beach and surf hunting. No point in pre-ordering the Equinox today (not sure you could even do that anyway) but I think it makes sense to hold of on the Max until we get some real world experience with the Equinox probably sometime in the Spring of 2018, if we're lucky.

Hopefully, it shows up in time to get some late spring relic hunting in the mineralized Virginia soil.

Last edited:

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This i will be buying , i have already saved enough for 1/2 of it , in the slush fund the Mrs doesnt know about :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody figure out what all the differences are between the 600 and the 800? I know there is the gold mode and the wireless headphones, but not sure what else.
More search programs and 2 extra frequencies I know of.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont hunt mineralized ground or look for very small gold then the 600 is the way to go imo. Think I heard the multi frequency system is identical on them
I thought the same thing, but then again, it's nice having the "option" of going to 20 or 40, but perhaps more so for me in the "multi freq." mode, such as in a similar BBS or FBS machine.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The info is still sparse, but you pretty much covered it there. The base multifrequencies are being advertised at 5, 10, and 15 khz with the 800 adding 20 and 40 khz (plus the wireless headphone capability, both bluetooth and proprietary module). The 800 will add a Prospecting mode in addition to the Park, Field, and Beach modes that will be available on both. What is not clear is if the custom program mode slot(s?) that is on the 800 will also be available on the 600 AND whether the 800 will make use of the 20 and 40 khz frequencies when in multi-frequency mode. Even if you are not a prospector, having those frequency modes available for beach hunting, especially if they are utilized in some sort of simultaneous multi-frequency mode, would make the Equinox a killer on the beach for gold (especially gold chains) and other mid-conductors, like that other much sought after mid-conductor beach treasure, pull tabs.

Is this fast enough for you? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...UiHQZc&usg=AFQjCNHhx3hy3rmo1DiyWJSlQsnsa2bIEQ BTW - That was in multi-frequency mode. I think it will hold its own at contests with that type of performance if actually delivered in the final product. As always, though I want what Minelab is selling, I am skeptical of the pre-release unit capabilities that can be manipulated in a manner to demonstrate the feature they want to demonstrate while masking a perhaps undesirable or not-ready for prime-time feature. Taking the linked video as an example, I have no idea based on the way the demo was conducted whether the machine was set up in some super fast mode that severely limits its depth capability, because that was not simultaneously demonstrated. Obviously, if you are focused on contest hunts, the depth performance is secondary.

IMO The AT Max does not address the most glaring issue I had with the AT Pro > Weight and Balance and User Interface.. I own a Deus, sure, so no comparison. But I do hold other more traditional detectors up to a weight, balance, and ergonomics standard and that is the Fisher F75 (or the Tek T2). Even though, performance wise, those are two different machines (F75 vs. T2), from an ergonomics standpoint (I am not comparing performance here) they are just about the best designed machines out there in my opinion. Not super light, but the weight is distributed beautifully so they FEEL light, the ground grab/pinpoint trigger and simple multi-use pushbutton and rotating knob make these machines a joy to operate and nice large numbers and text. First Texas set the standard for user interface usability IMO and no other detectors I have used have come close. Of course, the First Texas detectors are not waterproof or all terrain which leaves them (as well as the Nokta Impact) out of the AT Pro, MX Sport, AT Max, Equinox discussion for best mid-priced class, all around all-terrain detector. But the weight and user interface flaws, not to mention the single vlf frequency limitation of the Max pretty much seals the deal that the Max will be mediocre at best when it comes to Salt Beach/Surf Hunting. The multi-frequency capability of the Equinox (provided it is implemented competently, if not exactly technologically the same as has been done in the CTX 3030 and eTrac) ensures that the Equinox will beat the Max at salt beach and surf hunting. No point in pre-ordering the Equinox today (not sure you could even do that anyway) but I think it makes sense to hold of on the Max until we get some real world experience with the Equinox probably sometime in the Spring of 2018, if we're lucky.

Hopefully, it shows up in time to get some late spring relic hunting in the mineralized Virginia soil.

+1 on the F75 ergonomics. I have used a number of machines over the years and couldnt agree more.
The equinox could be a very clever way of dominating the serious hobbyist market. I even saw a used CZ21 here for sale and now think.... nope, let me just wait for the equinox. Even the CZ has only 2 frequencies and is very heavy.
I won't be selling the sovereign though.

Chub

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the videos mentioned a 4" and 12X15" coil option for the Equinox too. I wonder what those are going to cost? Hopefully, they'll offer a package deal as I like having all the coils sizes for the various types of hunting I do.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a big deal but it was confirmed on FB that the control box can be removed and used on an aftermarket stem. Again, I'd rather have a collapsible control box/handle, but I guess if you want to mount it on one of the fancy aftermarket stems you can. I would also prefer an S-shaft to the stock straight one.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
+1 on the F75 ergonomics. I have used a number of machines over the years and couldnt agree more.
The equinox could be a very clever way of dominating the serious hobbyist market. I even saw a used CZ21 here for sale and now think.... nope, let me just wait for the equinox. Even the CZ has only 2 frequencies and is very heavy.
I won't be selling the sovereign though.
I know what you mean once you own a Minelab you never go with out owning Minelab detector . I have used Minelab'since 1992..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, pretty impressive but oh my God those freaking awful awful awful tones, the tones alone may keep me from getting one - there is no way I, and I doubt many of you, are going to be able to handle running that wide open in a heavy small nail / iron site for 3 or 4 hours, unless it has a tone option, at least the Deus in Full Tones, makes iron sound like iron......I hope it has another tone option other than "Flute-a-phone" tones....I'd really like to buy one.
Yes but there are really a lot of us and i mean a lot.. That really like those Flute sound's .I hope they do not do away with the flute sounds.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but there are really a lot of us and i mean a lot.. That really like those Flute sound's .I hope they do not do away with the flute sounds.
You will see what I mean when the videos come out of this machine working over a square nail riddened cellar hole or old home site, running wide open with this new speed and no discrimination.....no need to get rid of the flutey tones but they should give another tone option for wide open relic hunting. If it truly is as fast as the Deus and I had to listen to the same amount of hits the Deus produces at these relic sites in Flute Tones, this Equinox would be on eBay as soon as I got an internet connection.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And if any Minelab Engineers are watching these threads I'd like to make a suggestion.....all you have to do is build a tone option built or based off your threshold humm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will see what I mean when the videos come out of this machine working over a square nail riddened cellar hole or old home site, running wide open with this new speed and no discrimination.....no need to get rid of the flutey tones but they should give another tone option for wide open relic hunting. If it truly is as fast as the Deus and I had to listen to the same amount of hits the Deus produces at these relic sites in Flute Tones, this Equinox would be on eBay as soon as I got an internet connection.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And if any Minelab Engineers are watching these threads I'd like to make a suggestion.....all you have to do is build a tone option built or based off your threshold humm.

There are 1-2-5-25 tone options available, with tone break ability as well.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care too much what it sounds like if it will find coins and relics! I personally don't care for the sounds of a deus....sounds like someone walking down the road in a pair of old wet sneakers....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that can run a GPX for 8 hours in an area with even moderate amounts of iron can handle anything!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care too much what it sounds like if it will find coins and relics! I personally don't care for the sounds of a deus....sounds like someone walking down the road in a pair of old wet sneakers....

I agree with what you say it sounds like, and I love it. But, yeah, it ain't everyone's cup of tea.

Anyone that can run a GPX for 8 hours in an area with even moderate amounts of iron can handle anything!

I know very well of which you speak. I have run both a GPX AND a Deus under those conditions (same site) because I take my GPX into the field for deep searching but always have my deus strapped to my day pack to either give me a break from the GPX blanking and threshhold or to search the tailing piles from pits started with a deep GPX signal. There was one area I searched that was infested with steel tree fabric staples (apparently an old orchard or tree farm) . The GPX was completely blanked out, had to switch to the Deus and pulled six CW buttons and couple of minie's out of that mess. The right tool for the job, I say. Would love to run an equinox over that same area.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
As soon as I have one I'm going to submerge it in the ocean to test it how water tight it is. I've owned two CTX's and was so paranoid to dunk them that I missed out on half the fun.
Not this time though.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been very interesting to see the stir created by the announcement of a new MD. I am very interested as well. I have owned a few X-terra machines in the past. I guess this could mean the end of the X-Terra line? Compared to this new multi-frequency machine, the cost of having all three coil frequencies at your fingertips with the X-terra, you could easily pick up either one of the new Equinox models.
My big concern is that if I would decide to sell my current MD to fund the purchase of a new Equinox, how much more will it depreciate beyond the "normal" amount that all machines do when the Equinox hits the shelves? On the other hand, is competitive technology great or what?
I really hope this new Equinox performs as described; I could actually afford to own one of these multi-frequency Minelab machines without breaking the bank.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As soon as I have one I'm going to submerge it in the ocean to test it how water tight it is. I've owned two CTX's and was so paranoid to dunk them that I missed out on half the fun.
Not this time though.

really? I dont enjoy swinging the CTX's shaft under water, it becomes really heavy in short time with the 11", with the 17" not even an option lol.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a harness.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Use a harness.

Not heavy as in lifting, heavy as in swinging inside water. Harness does not help swings with a MD that has a high water drag.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works for me, maybe its age thing, I'm only 69.[emoji12]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread