Its hot and dry.but...

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
It's hot and dry.but...

...I found some wilver dimes! I got permission to hunt a really old property. This stuff is the result of a one hour hunt. All the pennies are wheats except one. That wilver just looks so clean in the hole! I think the Scout clasp is pretty old. The eagle looks like a do-do bird.
Wilvertown.jpg
Cheers!

Ridley

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's hot and dry.but...

Dave,
You're off to a great start. Congrats on the silver. Leave a few in the ground for me. ;D
Soft soil?
-MM-

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

WTG, bud. You make all of your NC ancestors proud. Keep up the great detecting hunts! Oh, by the way, Minelab can find the goods. ;) :D

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations Ridley!

Finding silver is always sweet and the the toy gun makes for neat addition to the detection collection.

With results like that I suspect you will be heading back to that spot again, I can't wait to see what else it gives up.

Happy Hunting
JCH

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Nice collection of finds you have there. Congrats on the silver.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Some nice digs. :) Rosie's will do for a good wilver fix. ;D I think I found the same or very close to the same gun:

March26all800.jpg

One other thing Dave....I never can see all of your pictures even at my native resolution of 1024x768. I have to scroll. It would be better to post the pictures at 800x600.

That dog tag is cool too even if it's not that old.

Bob

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

:o Great finds Dave. All that Wilver, dog tag, etc. Is the gun real or a toy? Glad you had a good day in the field. HH and keep 'em coming

Desertfox

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

Okay! 800! :D

The soil is soft but it's as dry as a popcorn-fart! Plus this place has lots of roots and small rocks to contend with. The house itself was built in the 1800's and there's trash-0-plenty scattered all over the yard.

I started with the DFX, but some nearby power lines forced me to switch to the EXP. It started getting pretty dark and an unidentifiable wild animal dashed out of some bushes and disappeared into some other bushes. I found the second silver dime right next to my parked car, as I walked back to leave.

Yes this place has it all! Including wilver. Doug, you're gonna love it!

The gun is a toy. It reads "DEAD RINGER" on the barrel. :D

Ridley

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark

Very nice finds ! I like the Scouts clasp...Keep up the good work ..God Bless and HH..Panz

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice!!! that Scout clasp will do well on e-bay.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Congrats on your finds, Ridley. You scored with some oldies in a very short hunt. I know you're going to find more there. Remember, be patient, swing that Minelab slowly, and you will start to hear those 'high squeaks'.

Good luck,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

Captn_SE said:
Congrats on your finds, Ridley. You scored with some oldies in a very short hunt. I know you're going to find more there. Remember, be patient, swing that Minelab slowly, and you will start to hear those 'high squeaks'.

Good luck,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Well Captn',

Of course I thought of you when those dimes popped out. :D I do swing the Minelab really slow. I finally got the pinpoint under control too. Side to side under the center bar. Zero in, then back up the coil and push forward.

The target is right under the center front of the coil. Sound right?

The next thing I need to play with is the (Iron Mask) feature. There's a ton of BIG rusty square nails. I'm afraid those are going to interfere somehow. The threshold keeps dropping out. I may just dig up some of that iron, because there should be a few Barber coins in the dirt too.

In any case, It's a great location to practice and learn. ;)

Ridley

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Congrats on the wilver Ridley, WTGT!!!
Neat little gun too... and I'm still looking for one of those Boy Scout thingy's... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Ridley, I understand you do have a great machine in the EXII, but in all seriousness, White's machines don't take forever to learn. Plus, pinpointing is a simp due to the VCO. HH!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

KirkPA said:
Ridley, I understand you do have a great machine in the EXII, but in all seriousness, White's machines don't take forever to learn. Plus, pinpointing is a simp due to the VCO. HH!

Kirk, I wasn't a "Minelab" dude from the very beginning. I swung a Whites 6000 Di Pro for a long, long time before owning the SE. I found silver with the machine from 1-6", but just not that much of it here in CA like I now do with the SE. If I found a good target next to trash, the whites would just crackle over the signal, giving me a bad target id. The SE can hear right next to the iron in the ground. It may take a little longer to master the Explorer, but once you do, you will strip mine every location you search.

Hey, I still swing a whites PI machine for the beaches. It's great.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - Yes, Ridley, you've got the pinpoint down. I use iron mask all the time now. Just a little...only about 1/3rd the screen blackened. If you're really in a place with a lot of iron, a smaller coil would be awesome (sunray's X8 or X5).

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

I love the DFX! I tried to use it first, so I could get an idea of what might be in the ground. It's probably the standard coil and BEST DATA, but the DFX just went spastic. I couldn't get it to behave at all (at this location). Lot's of scratchy broken tones that made no sense.

The EXP was completely stable and plucked out targets with no problems at all. If I was in a huge farm field, I'd use the DFX for sure. It's lighter and very accurate at a depth of 5-6". It's all about the conditions of the location.

I've used the DFX at ocean beaches. It works well, but I like the EXP better because it penetrates deeper in the sand. The depth at the beach makes a big difference.

Both detectors work well in different situations. I have no brand loyalty at all. If Proctor=Silex came out with Xray vision metal detecting sunglasses and they worked? I'd use 'em. Especially at the beach! :D

Ridley

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All that good stuff in an hour!!! :o What a site!

Congrats on those keepers!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread