Its not about the silver

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
I have been watching this board for a few years now, and have enjoyed quite a few days of CRH so far. It began for me when I was actually working at a bank and found Treasurenet through friend that got me into metal detecting. Whether your new or have been around this hobby for a while, there is a message I love to share with everyone about CRH every once in a while that keeps me in check.

When it comes to this hobby, if your goal is to get rich fast, find another hobby. If you are looking for a hobby where you are constantly expecting results, find another hobby. The joy of this hobby comes in the ups and downs. It is the down days and weeks that make the up days and weeks that much sweeter. If you found silver every single time, it would probably become illegal eventually. The coolest thing about this hobby for me is the excitement of "what if?". Every time you go into a bank to ask if they have some halves or to pick up your weekly orders, you just get excited about the "what if" factor. It literally is modern day treasure hunting. Its the desire to find treasure, but the reality of knowing sometimes you have to hunt for a while first, and knowing only a rare few every hit the "Mother Load".

If you are having a rough patch or you feel like this hobby is overwhelming you, it is absolutely ok to take a few weeks, or months, off. Remember that moderation is the key to just about everything enjoyable. If you are allowing this hobby to take over more important aspects of your life (Family, Work, Etc...), it is not worth it. The little money that is averagely generated from most that do this hobby is definitely not worth time with your wife or kids.

In short, enjoy the hobby for what it is, a hobby, and not a part-time job. Enjoy the excitement of unwrapping those rolls one at a time. Lastly, when the silver does come, ENJOY IT! :headbang:

HH to all and look forward to reading many more great posts and stories!
JJ

Upvote 0

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Beautifully said, and I think you bring up fair points that are often overlooked or forgotten.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
JJ,THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY !

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
I may be a little duck, but I'm a GRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDY little duck!!!!

I'll take more silver, if you please. :tongue3:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
JJ,
Well said and I agree with you. Coin collecting is a great hobby...not a profession.
Thanks for your service. I'm a 66 year old Vietnam Vet and know what it's like to
be shot at without success. That's why I'm still breathing. "life is not a dress rehearsal".
Make the best of it.
Stay safe.
rileyboy

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
rileyboy said:
JJ,
Well said and I agree with you. Coin collecting is a great hobby...not a profession.
Thanks for your service. I'm a 66 year old Vietnam Vet and know what it's like to
be shot at without success. That's why I'm still breathing. "life is not a dress rehearsal".
Make the best of it.
Stay safe.
rileyboy
To: Riley, thank YOU for YOUR service!

From: one fortunate enough to have served during a time of peace. (but that trip into East Germany to save some alphabet soup guy sure was eventful!!) :o :o :o

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
coolpix9 said:

It is absolutely a privilege to serve. Thanks and that sure is an awesome profile picture!

JJ

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
mdockter said:
Thanks for your service. Too bad you went Air Force. GO NAVY!

I have a brother-in-law that is wrapping up his Navy career and it is absolutely awesome getting to serve my country.

Thanks
JJ

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
tgcougar said:
rileyboy said:
JJ,
Make the best of it.
Stay safe.
rileyboy
To: Riley, thank YOU for YOUR service!

From: one fortunate enough to have served during a time of peace. (but that trip into East Germany to save some alphabet soup guy sure was eventful!!) :o :o :o

Thank you to you both for the time you served. Whether during a time of war or during a time of peace, you are among the few who can say they have served their country in uniform.

JJ

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing7:

Guess us veterans have to stick together huh..... I just love inter-service rivalry.

I look at CRH in a different aspect then most probably do. I love collecting old coins and completing sets. I do not consider CRH a hobby, I look at CRH as a way to get enough money to support my true love and that is older coins, although pickins have been slim lately.

I also like to collect ASE's and Maple Leafs as well, so much in fact that I have a complete set of ASE MS-69, Raw Set of ASE, Complete Dansco ASE Book and a complete Maple Leaf Set. I also have all the state quarters in a Dansco Album, P, D, Proof and Silver Proof.

I have a complete Baber Half Book (Dansco), started Walking Liberty Halfs (Dansco), Morgan (Dansco), Peace (Dansco) and just a Dansco
"Coin" book with sleeves(Thanks Rileyboy) that hold 2X2 flips. All of my special coins go in there, alot of them purchased through CRH.

So I guess you could call CRH an off shoot of actually being a coin collector/numismatis. I am currently learning how to determine altered from genuine and proper grading.

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AIRFORCE! [Cross into the blue] :thumbsup:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coolpix9 said:

I will second, third, fourth.... that. Good post JJ. Myself, I have always loved coins. Silver is the gravy on top for me.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Please refrain from your political posturing. This is about CRH'ing. Obediah used to spout off all the time. Despite warnings from the Mods, he couldn't control himself and continued. His account was suspended.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Army Vet here. Thanks to all of you who have served this great Nation. I started out lookin' for silver but I do enjoy finding old and odd coins. Last night I found a 1937 nickle and a 1920 penny. They're probably not worth anything but I'm keepin' them.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
Please refrain from your political posturing. This is about CRH'ing. Obediah used to spout off all the time. Despite warnings from the Mods, he couldn't control himself and continued. His account was suspended.

Political Posturing? Where was that, I seem to have missed it? :icon_scratch:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:
Diver_Down said:

The post was flagged and deleted. I quoted it, but the mods have removed the quote. I won't post the user's handle. They know who they are.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Diver_Down said:

The post was flagged and deleted. I quoted it, but the mods have removed the quote. I won't post the user's handle. They know who they are.

Ah, gotcha. Was wondering if this was aimed at OP. Didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Just wondering.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread