🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's shard to tell?

O.K. Folks, nothing exciting here. I didn't even need a detector. ;D
At lunch today I went to the plantation house to walk the dry stream out in the woods. Hoping to find arrowheads or old bottles after all the rain we've had lately, this is what I found.
The only reason I'm posting this crappe' is I was wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea on the age of these shards. :dontknow: The one I'm most interested in is the piece with all the crackling effect in it. It looks much older than the rest.Also, any idea what that dark crock piece would have been to? :icon_scratch:
No idea on the white jar, but the clear bottle has "Whittemore Shoe Polish" on it. Early 1900's I believe.

Looking forward to getting out to detect this weekend again. I'm having withdrawals. :wink:

Thanks for any info you may have.
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-129S.JPG
    MVC-129S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 921
  • MVC-130S.JPG
    MVC-130S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 906
  • MVC-131S.JPG
    MVC-131S.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 923
  • MVC-132S.JPG
    MVC-132S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 907
  • MVC-133S.JPG
    MVC-133S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 907
  • MVC-128S.JPG
    MVC-128S.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 897
Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's shard to tell?

Hi MM :hello:

I think you're right on in your quesstimation. :thumbsup: I have found similar stuff here in Texas. You should probably detect that area.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tymcmurray said:
I see you are out there having some fun!!!
Keep it up!

Well, I wore a brown shirt today and had a white towel hanging from my pocket. Now that I think about it, I'm glad no one thought I was a deer. :o It must of been the shovel that saved me. :dontknow: ;D
I'll get some metal Saturday if it doesn't snow. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

thrillathahunt said:
Hi MM :hello:

I think you're right on in your quesstimation. :thumbsup: I have found similar stuff here in Texas. You should probably detect that area.

Thanks Thrilla.
There was an old tenant house (long gone) and well out in this wooded area by the stream, so I'm thinking this stuff was from them. I don't know if they would of been using the fancy gold trimmed plates though. :dontknow:
-MM-

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

The crock piece looks like part of a bowl. probably made between 1900 and 1930. Nice finds. Vol1266X and I will be out detecting on Friday. I hope "Weed hopper" will be able to keep up and learn something. ;D

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The apprpriate term is "crazing" instead of crackling. Looks old-is old. You need to hit that place hard snow or not. Didn't you see the young relic hunter who dug the nice 1851 SWB and made the Banner in snow 6 inches deep. Don't be a wimp and go to Outback instead on Saturday. Good Luck Bud and can you take Dman with you? HH.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doug,

Nice finds. That white fragment could be early. That looks like the typical "semiporcelain" china, which goes back as far as the late 18th or early 19th century in England and really started being manufactured a lot in the USA by around the 1850's or early 60's. Without any markings it is really hard to tell the exact age, because the stuff looked the same throughout its years of production.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To Me the pottery piece with all the crackling going on looks like a piece of IRONSTONE POTTERY !! From england !!! Mid 19 th to early 20 th century!! I found a nice thick heavy soap dish, that I am now still using in my kitchen today !! Looks very similiar!!! MaineRelic.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dman said:
The crock piece looks like part of a bowl. probably made between 1900 and 1930. Nice finds. Vol1266X and I will be out detecting on Friday. I hope "Weed hopper" will be able to keep up and learn something. ;D

Thanks Dman. Don't forget to bring the old guys cane so he can keep up. :laughing7: Oh yeah, make sure he has batteries in the detector this time too. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-

4-H said:
Without a detector.

Great relics Doug

With my eyes I could only find the BIG pieces. ;D :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

VOL1266-X said:
The apprpriate term is "crazing" instead of crackling. Looks old-is old. You need to hit that place hard snow or not. Didn't you see the young relic hunter who dug the nice 1851 SWB and made the Banner in snow 6 inches deep. Don't be a wimp and go to Outback instead on Saturday. Good Luck Bud and can you take Dman with you? HH.

Didn't Patsy Klein sing that song "Crazing"? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
Yeah, I saw that 1851 SWB post. Fantastic find, but I am waiting for 12" of snow before I go out again. :wink:
You & Dman are always welcome to detect with me. I didn't realize you guys like digging up pull tabs. ;D
-Doug-

Rusted_Iron said:
Doug,
Nice finds. That white fragment could be early. That looks like the typical "semiporcelain" china, which goes back as far as the late 18th or early 19th century in England and really started being manufactured a lot in the USA by around the 1850's or early 60's. Without any markings it is really hard to tell the exact age, because the stuff looked the same throughout its years of production.

Thanks RI.
This plantation property is dated late 1790's. I was hoping for some markings on the back, but nothing.
-Doug-

MaineRelic said:
To Me the pottery piece with all the crackling going on looks like a piece of IRONSTONE POTTERY !! From england !!! Mid 19 th to early 20 th century!! I found a nice thick heavy soap dish, that I am now still using in my kitchen today !! Looks very similiar!!! MaineRelic.

Thanks MR.
I'll have to try detecting the area I found these once deer season is over.
Have a great holiday,
MM

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anything in the container? Nice finds and HH, Mike

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike said:
Anything in the container? Nice finds and HH, Mike

Nothing in the white jar with lid, but the tall skinny one had shoe polish in it. ;D
-MM-

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Dug, your detector will pick up the late 1700s relics and coins in that dry stream. :hello2: I know a North Carolina pioneer lost them there while cleaning his breeches! Go get 'em, Dugster! :thumbsup:

Sir Kyle

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The gold trimmed dishes, alot of families had fancy dishes, my grandmother had a set silver trimmed, they were her mothers set she had from when she was married back in Ireland. We used them for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. I would take them out of the china cabinet 1 or 2 other times a year and dust them. But there is no way these were used much, to dear to her. And there is no way seeing either of them or the living conditions that you would think they would have had fancy plates.

Looks like a great area to EYE hunt! And when your ground is not froze to detect! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
Dug, your detector will pick up the late 1700s relics and coins in that dry stream. :hello2: I know a North Carolina pioneer lost them there while cleaning his breeches! Go get 'em, Dugster! :thumbsup:

Sir Kyle

Thanks Sir Kyle.
Perhaps the pioneers breeches had a hole in the pocket and he scattered a few pioneer copper coins for me. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :laughing9:
Snowing a tad bit here today. Yikes!
-Dug-

GRANNY ELF said:
The gold trimmed dishes, alot of families had fancy dishes, my grandmother had a set silver trimmed, they were her mothers set she had from when she was married back in Ireland. We used them for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. I would take them out of the china cabinet 1 or 2 other times a year and dust them. But there is no way these were used much, to dear to her. And there is no way seeing either of them or the living conditions that you would think they would have had fancy plates.

Looks like a great area to EYE hunt! And when your ground is not froze to detect! :icon_sunny:

Thanks for the info Granny Elf.
Happy holidays,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread