Ive come full circle on coin marking

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come full circle on coin marking

Do not use this thread to start arguing over the subject please. I originally hated the idea of defacing a coinformpurposes of CRH. Ive changed my mind...lol. while I still hate the idea I must know if my skunks boxs are my own dumps...averages are pathetic. So what I've started doing is marking 1 coin per roll with a sharpie. I think this is a good solution. The sharpie will where off in 2-3 years and by just marking a few coin I can still achieve the same result. It would also kinda be cool if someone on this forum found one of my marks....it's interesting how money travels..

Upvote 0

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use this thread to start arguing over the subject please. I originally hated the idea of defacing a coinformpurposes of CRH. Ive changed my mind...lol. while I still hate the idea I must know if my skunks boxs are my own dumps...averages are pathetic. So what I've started doing is marking 1 coin per roll with a sharpie. I think this is a good solution. The sharpie will where off in 2-3 years and by just marking a few coin I can still achieve the same result. It would also kinda be cool if someone on this forum found one of my marks....it's interesting how money travels..
So not to flame, just presenting an idea that might be a better solution. Heres why I think its a bad idea. Lets say you dump, it goes to Loomis, brinks, etc and gets in the pile of rolls that mix wih other boxes or in a hopper bin and scoops back in. Your marked coins now ends up in a box with mixes clad, 40% and 90%s just as it should. However said coin is an ender, and now you or someone else opens that boxes and goes "dang" its a skunk. Boxes may not even get checked and go into the system or someone is forced to search rolls likely already checked.

With that said I think wrapper marking is better. Its short lifespan, marks the roll not the coin so its only valid as long as that roll stays together. This leaves you will greater accuracy between CRHs if that get skunks to accurately say "sorry, this roll has been searched". Its also not defacing increasing numbers of coins faster than the ink can wear off making tellers, maangers, and armored companies take notice, possibly putting a stop to box deliveries. Remember banks arent forced to order you boxes and this could be the very thing that stops the practice.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong.... Of course your not going to know about the rest of the coins in the box. It's simple math honestly....if you get one coin and your only marking 5% that's bad. Yes it may be the only one but odds are your getting your own dumps.... It's not perfect but you DO GAIN INFORMATION........a lot more than when you do nothing...I think almost like a million billion time more I'm not sure.

You can tell one thing: you got one of your coins back. Not that this is a bad piece of information - it means that you are bound to get some of your coins back. This however is very very obvious - there's only so many half dollars, the country's only so big, etc. I would only say this piece of information is worth obtaining (because it is so obvious you will get some of your coins back at some point), if you are driving say 100 miles away to dump. This way, it would let you know if it was worth your effort to drive that far. As a matter of fact, you could mark the same amount of coins every week (different marks each week, and write down what mark is for what date and dump location), and drive 20 miles further out every week to dump. Eventually, if you got enough of your marked coins back, you could do some quick math and determine if it's worth your time to drive further out.

If you are picking up and dumping in the same town you will eventually get some of your coins back. So, the 'presence' or 'absence' of your marked coins, unlike a distance test, only states the obvious. Therefore, I would argue it is only worth your time if you gain some serious quantitative information. You must consider the amount of coins you must mark and find to get a statistically robust survey, keep records of the # and date that you mark relative to the total volume search, and also determine the amount of half dollars in circulation. If you can do this, you could actually establish a residence time of your coins before they come back to you, and calculate the probability that any one given coin is yours. Then you could go on to say from the # of coins you searched, how many of them were yours (regardless of whether they are marked or not).

Marking coins is fun and can be creative. To a degree I'm playing devils advocate here - yes you are right, seeing your marked coin is a piece of information. I am simply trying to express how far away it is from being USEFUL. by useful I mean you can actually implement the information into your daily CRH routine to maximize your gains

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So not to flame, just presenting an idea that might be a better solution. Heres why I think its a bad idea. Lets say you dump, it goes to Loomis, brinks, etc and gets in the pile of rolls that mix wih other boxes or in a hopper bin and scoops back in. Your marked coins now ends up in a box with mixes clad, 40% and 90%s just as it should. However said coin is an ender, and now you or someone else opens that boxes and goes "dang" its a skunk. Boxes may not even get checked and go into the system or someone is forced to search rolls likely already checked.

With that said I think wrapper marking is better. Its short lifespan, marks the roll not the coin so its only valid as long as that roll stays together. This leaves you will greater accuracy between CRHs if that get skunks to accurately say "sorry, this roll has been searched". Its also not defacing increasing numbers of coins faster than the ink can wear off making tellers, maangers, and armored companies take notice, possibly putting a stop to box deliveries. Remember banks arent forced to order you boxes and this could be the very thing that stops the practice.
If you dump with bags this is not going to matter. In my area even if you reroll they dump it into bags to be emptied and MWR.
You can tell one thing: you got one of your coins back. Not that this is a bad piece of information - it means that you are bound to get some of your coins back. This however is very very obvious - there's only so many half dollars, the country's only so big, etc. I would only say this piece of information is worth obtaining (because it is so obvious you will get some of your coins back at some point), if you are driving say 100 miles away to dump. This way, it would let you know if it was worth your effort to drive that far. As a matter of fact, you could mark the same amount of coins every week (different marks each week, and write down what mark is for what date and dump location), and drive 20 miles further out every week to dump. Eventually, if you got enough of your marked coins back, you could do some quick math and determine if it's worth your time to drive further out.

If you are picking up and dumping in the same town you will eventually get some of your coins back. So, the 'presence' or 'absence' of your marked coins, unlike a distance test, only states the obvious. Therefore, I would argue it is only worth your time if you gain some serious quantitative information. You must consider the amount of coins you must mark and find to get a statistically robust survey, keep records of the # and date that you mark relative to the total volume search, and also determine the amount of half dollars in circulation. If you can do this, you could actually establish a residence time of your coins before they come back to you, and calculate the probability that any one given coin is yours. Then you could go on to say from the # of coins you searched, how many of them were yours (regardless of whether they are marked or not).

Marking coins is fun and can be creative. To a degree I'm playing devils advocate here - yes you are right, seeing your marked coin is a piece of information. I am simply trying to express how far away it is from being USEFUL. by useful I mean you can actually implement the information into your daily CRH routine to maximize your gains

who knows.. But if you never get one of your marks back you know your in the right places. IMO its worth quickly and non permenatly marking a small amount of coins. Probably not worth marking all coins for a variety of reasons.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you dump with bags this is not going to matter. In my area even if you reroll they dump it into bags to be emptied and MWR.

who knows.. But if you never get one of your marks back you know your in the right places. IMO its worth quickly and non permenatly marking a small amount of coins. Probably not worth marking all coins for a variety of reasons.

Hey Easy, I'm sure you saw that my coins showed up somewhere on here allready. I got 1 back this week too. I only did 50ish coins with marks over 3 months ago so, doing that small amount you may never get one back, if someone gets some of your dumps in their boxes far away from you, and goes even further away to dump those dumps and then the next person does the same thing, they could keep traveling futher and futher away from you. I get coins in my boxes that I swear I've seen before, they don't have marks, but you know you look at it and think, man, I've seen this dark one or scratched one before ( I think we've all done that if you search a larger amount per week), I've thought about marking those that I keep seeing to see if it is staying in my rotation or if I'm just being paranoid. So those marks you do see could be from who knows how far away, but all those different marks tell me that there are alot more people searching than we know of, I find probably 20+ different marks in each of my boxes and the same ones sometimes each week, I don't know if these are the same coins or if the person marking them is doing it every box, it could be 1 batch that was marked is constantly floating around my system. IMO the only way to tell if you are getting back some of your dumps would be to mark every single coin you dump everytime ( too much work for me) but you would definetly know then how much of your dumps you are accually getting back. If you do just a few per batch, you'll never really know how many you are getting back, if one shows up, you just know that you got 1 back and not if the rest or how many others in that box are also yours. HH, Maverick.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
...if you never get one of your marks back you know your in the right places...
Means you are not searching your dumps. That knowledge doesn't put you in the right place. The right place is where you are finding keepers.

If you are downstream of a volume hunter (who does or doesn't mark) and you are not finding keepers, you should be moving. The lack of keepers tell you that, not marked coins.
If you are in an eddy where some of your dumps filter in to your stream but you are finding keepers, you shouldn't move (consider expanding, but don't move). The presence of keepers tells you that, not marked (or unmarked) coins.

Knowing that you aren't searching your own dump is pointless if you aren't finding anything. Just like knowing that you are searching some of your own dumps is pointless if you are finding keepers

Circling Kennedy's ear or giving him a mullet with a sharpie isn't going to move Ag your way. Where you dump can push Ag your way or toward another hunter. CRH dumps is the grease that keeps the wheels turning.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Means you are not searching your dumps. That knowledge doesn't put you in the right place. The right place is where you are finding keepers.

If you are downstream of a volume hunter (who does or doesn't mark) and you are not finding keepers, you should be moving. The lack of keepers tell you that, not marked coins.
If you are in an eddy where some of your dumps filter in to your stream but you are finding keepers, you shouldn't move (consider expanding, but don't move). The presence of keepers tells you that, not marked (or unmarked) coins.

Knowing that you aren't searching your own dump is pointless if you aren't finding anything. Just like knowing that you are searching some of your own dumps is pointless if you are finding keepers

Circling Kennedy's ear or giving him a mullet with a sharpie isn't going to move Ag your way. Where you dump can push Ag your way or toward another hunter. CRH dumps is the grease that keeps the wheels turning.
I give up.....I don't know why your kinda off topic. Yes if getting tons of keepers you are in the right place , no kidding who couldn't figure that out? Your situation may be very different from mine. I work , a lot. I have very little time to go to banks. I do not have the ability to travel any distance to dump or anything like that. So it's irrelevant as I can't do anything different other than maybe open up a third account at another bank which I always intended to do just for convenience anyways. My Op said I changed my mind and now thought that overall, if done in a certain way( type of mark,numbers marked etc)marking coins was ok to do. I still don't approve of burning and painting all your coins. I think you can get SOME useful info from it. If you disagree fine but quit trying to tell me Im wasting my time. I heard you already. Thanks I think I'll keep doing what I like anyways ok?

I knew this thread was a bad idea. Mods should just close it. My bad. I shouldn't have even told anybody. At least I didn't show my mark......

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I give up.....I don't know why your kinda off topic. Yes if getting tons of keepers you are in the right place , no kidding who couldn't figure that out? Your situation may be very different from mine. I work , a lot. I have very little time to go to banks. I do not have the ability to travel any distance to dump or anything like that. So it's irrelevant as I can't do anything different other than maybe open up a third account at another bank which I always intended to do just for convenience anyways. My Op said I changed my mind and now thought that overall, if done in a certain way( type of mark,numbers marked etc)marking coins was ok to do. I still don't approve of burning and painting all your coins. I think you can get SOME useful info from it. If you disagree fine but quit trying to tell me Im wasting my time. I heard you already. Thanks I think I'll keep doing what I like anyways ok?

I knew this thread was a bad idea. Mods should just close it. My bad. I shouldn't have even told anybody. At least I didn't show my mark......

Settle down Francis (I know, you're too young for that reference), but it is appropriate.

Don't apologize for sharing your viewpoint. That's what this forum is for.
Don't wig out that your viewpoint gets challenged. That's the inevitable - especially on this topic. If you choose to preach about the virtues of marking, be prepared to be challenged.
Don't throw out accusations of veering off topic when the whole tone has been simply encouraging you to think about >>WHY<< you would mark.

It is your time. Use it how you want. Mark if you want. Some say it adds to the fun, so do it for that reason. If there is some other logic for doing it, share, or keep it to yourself. You might get some confirmation of your logic or you might get some challenge to it (in the form of "nonsense" and/or "off-topic" replies depending on how you choose to view them).

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Settle down Francis (I know, you're too young for that reference), but it is appropriate.
QUOTE]

Wow, now that made me feel old, I didn't realize how old that movie was, lol. A classic for sure, Maverick.

It is acually" LIghten up Francis"

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It is acually" LIghten up Francis"
Right. As many times as I've watched it, I can't believe I got it wrong.

I wore the VHS tape out watching that movie. We ran it at least once a month in the background and inevitably we would wind up fixated on it at the key scenes and often ended up watching it to the end.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep on keeping on wasting time! All the time you are not in my boxes!

You markers never cease to amaze me with your optomism about futility! It's almost like voting for a Democrat!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:

Don't apologize for sharing your viewpoint. That's what this forum is for.
Don't wig out that your viewpoint gets challenged. That's the inevitable - especially on this topic. If you choose to preach about the virtues of marking, be prepared to be challenged.
Don't throw out accusations of veering off topic when the whole tone has been simply encouraging you to think about >>WHY<< you would mark.

It is your time. Use it how you want. Mark if you want. Some say it adds to the fun, so do it for that reason. If there is some other logic for doing it, share, or keep it to yourself. You might get some confirmation of your logic or you might get some challenge to it (in the form of "nonsense" and/or "off-topic" replies depending on how you choose to view them).

You need to retread the original post buddy. I never PREACHED anything. I was making a statement about my own CRH practices.

Nobody asked you to tell me why it's a bad idea.... You can say it once but quit trying to convince everyone by making multiple post about a topic where advice was not asked for.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy, I never learned something from someone who tells me what I want to hear.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
Easy, I never learned something from someone who tells me what I want to hear.

I get it but I never asked for help in this thread. Point. Back to OP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread