Ive come full circle on coin marking

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come full circle on coin marking

Do not use this thread to start arguing over the subject please. I originally hated the idea of defacing a coinformpurposes of CRH. Ive changed my mind...lol. while I still hate the idea I must know if my skunks boxs are my own dumps...averages are pathetic. So what I've started doing is marking 1 coin per roll with a sharpie. I think this is a good solution. The sharpie will where off in 2-3 years and by just marking a few coin I can still achieve the same result. It would also kinda be cool if someone on this forum found one of my marks....it's interesting how money travels..

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why I am a member of that Where's George website. It's pretty much the same principle. I think it's cool.

I don't mark my coin dumps, but there is someone who has marked tons of them here in Alabama with a "J" and I have started marking the other side of the coin with "PB" so you can have PB & J. :) I'm so clever!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Easy, I just got one of my marked coins back tonight ( in 1 of the 6 skunk boxes I just searched) and I sent about 50ish out in the wild about 3-4 months ago with this mark. First one I have ever gottin back. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Easy, I just got one of my marked coins back tonight ( in 1 of the 6 skunk boxes I just searched) and I sent about 50ish out in the wild about 3-4 months ago with this mark. First one I have ever gottin back. HH, Maverick.

That can't be good. If only marking a few coins you shouldn't get any back I would think?

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I am a member of that Where's George website. It's pretty much the same principle. I think it's cool.

I don't mark my coin dumps, but there is someone who has marked tons of them here in Alabama with a "J" and I have started marking the other side of the coin with "PB" so you can have PB & J. :) I'm so clever!

Don't feel bad that J has made it to atlanta and has been here for over a year now. No PB & J's yet but I did find out it was a guy that used to mark them Bama Joe but he shortened to just J.

I have marked 30 coins period since last year. I even got one of those back this month.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you mark alot you will get back alot. Thats why i take around $12.000 to ac every week end. And crhstreetwalker is going 100 miles to get rid of the same amount. Marking coins is the best way to track your dumps. If your only doing 2 to 10 boxes its not so much of a big deal. I still would like to know.The 500.000 or so coins i have marked seem to be gone?? Am getting mostly clean coins. The clean ones go to ac and the painted stay in my area. For me to track.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't feel bad that J has made it to atlanta and has been here for over a year now. No PB & J's yet but I did find out it was a guy that used to mark them Bama Joe but he shortened to just J.

I have marked 30 coins period since last year. I even got one of those back this month.

Well, whoever it is, they have pretty much saturated the southeast. I have heard that people 300 miles south of me have gotten them, and if you are in Atlanta, then that is about 250+ miles from me. I've also seen them in Knoxville, TN. They are annoying to find.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
keep on wasting your time marking :-)
+1

In order to know what you want to know, you would need to devise a complex scheme of unique marks for where and when you dump (plausible) and you would also need to know with precision and certainty the bank/coin service turnaround time after dumping (utterly implausible).

Most of what you search is CRH dump - either yours or someone else's dump (it is CRH dump that stirs up Ag that was "dumped" by the unwitting).

Getting your mark tells you that you marked that coin (or someone duplicated your mark for laughs or for misdirection). It does not tell you if (or how many) other hunters sourced and dumped that coin. Nor does it tell you where or when those other hunters dumped your mark. Your marked coin could change hands a dozen times before you get it back and you have no way of knowing where it went in between.

Even with the most complex marking scheme, you don't know the difference between a fast bank to coin service to bank + fast competitor search/dump -vs- a moderate/slow bank to coin service to bank movement.

You cannot learn anything useful from marking coins. If you are getting acceptable results from your pickup/dump routine, stick with it. If not, change it. Don't count on learning anything reliable from marking coins. It is a fool's errand.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One things for sure........no one has yet topped the guy or gal who is taking a blow torch to his dumps.:dontknow:

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other

We've gotten one coin so far marked Bama Joe here in Orlando.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1

In order to know what you want to know, you would need to devise a complex scheme of unique marks for where and when you dump (plausible) and you would also need to know with precision and certainty the bank/coin service turnaround time after dumping (utterly implausible).

Most of what you search is CRH dump - either yours or someone else's dump (it is CRH dump that stirs up Ag that was "dumped" by the unwitting).

Getting your mark tells you that you marked that coin (or someone duplicated your mark for laughs or for misdirection). It does not tell you if (or how many) other hunters sourced and dumped that coin. Nor does it tell you where or when those other hunters dumped your mark. Your marked coin could change hands a dozen times before you get it back and you have no way of knowing where it went in between.

Even with the most complex marking scheme, you don't know the difference between a fast bank to coin service to bank + fast competitor search/dump -vs- a moderate/slow bank to coin service to bank movement.

You cannot learn anything useful from marking coins. If you are getting acceptable results from your pickup/dump routine, stick with it. If not, change it. Don't count on learning anything reliable from marking coins. It is a fool's errand.
I disagree. Your making it too complicated brother. You will never know or be able to control anything anybody else does so it is irrelevant what others are doing. All you can do is track your own actions. If I receive my mark that means either one of two things. It's either random and that coin changed hands several times or I'm just getting my own dumps. I may not know exactly what's going on because Im not using a "complex marking schem" but I will get usefull information from it. And I highly doubt anybody is going to duplicate my mark in any amount that would affect results. Not to mention I don't think my mark could be duplicated well enough to fool me. It's basically my signature , so good luck doing that.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Madwest is right, you have to control for all the variables otherwise there is very, and I mean very, limited information you can get from dumping. For example, if you get a marked coin of yours, are all the other coins in the box your unmarked ones, or did you just happen to get a marked one? that's a big difference. Maybe TimZim can tell because he marks so many. I'm down with marking, don't get me wrong, I love finding the marks of people on this forum

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Madwest is right, you have to control for all the variables otherwise there is very, and I mean very, limited information you can get from dumping. For example, if you get a marked coin of yours, are all the other coins in the box your unmarked ones, or did you just happen to get a marked one? that's a big difference. Maybe TimZim can tell because he marks so many. I'm down with marking, don't get me wrong, I love finding the marks of people on this forum

Wrong.... Of course your not going to know about the rest of the coins in the box. It's simple math honestly....if you get one coin and your only marking 5% that's bad. Yes it may be the only one but odds are your getting your own dumps.... It's not perfect but you DO GAIN INFORMATION........a lot more than when you do nothing...I think almost like a million billion time more I'm not sure.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong.... Of course your not going to know about the rest of the coins in the box. It's simple math honestly....if you get one coin and your only marking 5% that's bad. Yes it may be the only one but odds are your getting your own dumps.... It's not perfect but you DO GAIN INFORMATION........a lot more than when you do nothing...I think almost like a million billion time more I'm not sure.

Few ppl understand probability theory (probability theory is anything but simple math, even though it only takes relatively simple math to work through it). Please don't preach it if you don't understand it.

Anyway, I missed your point. I concede that you have a great plan:

Spend as much time as it takes to make a unique, un-reproducible mark on 50 coins per box (hours per box if necessary). Do that month after month. If you don't see your mark come back, stick with your supply bank (even if you've been getting skunk after skunk after skunk after sku...). If you do see your mark come back, even once, even months after you start marking, change supply banks immediately (even if you have been getting monster box after monster box after monster b...). That's brilliant. Why hasn't anyone thought of that strategy before?

My advice is to take that approach a bit farther. If you see any marks, yours or otherwise, either switch supply banks immediately or switch exclusively to dimes. If you see a mark, that is obviously somebody's dump. There is no reason whatsoever to search anything tainted with any amount of CRH dump.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the last clad coin is marked every one will stop marking. Am glad to know my coins are going south my marked coins tell it all !! ITS WORKING!!! I hate CLAD. I do understand you guys that only hunt clad. That don't have the money to hunt silver. I feel bad for you because clad is useless. I have asked 100 times the list of clad that you sell and to who??? Does it cover your gas??? I understand the young guys on here doing clad thats all they can do. Hey what ever i hope you find what your looking for to each his own. Have fun and good luck!!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few ppl understand probability theory (probability theory is anything but simple math, even though it only takes relatively simple math to work through it). Please don't preach it if you don't understand it.

Anyway, I missed your point. I concede that you have a great plan:

Spend as much time as it takes to make a unique, un-reproducible mark on 50 coins per box (hours per box if necessary). Do that month after month. If you don't see your mark come back, stick with your supply bank (even if you've been getting skunk after skunk after skunk after sku...). If you do see your mark come back, even once, even months after you start marking, change supply banks immediately (even if you have been getting monster box after monster box after monster b...). That's brilliant. Why hasn't anyone thought of that strategy before?

My advice is to take that approach a bit farther. If you see any marks, yours or otherwise, either switch supply banks immediately or switch exclusively to dimes. If you see a mark, that is obviously somebody's dump. There is no reason whatsoever to search anything tainted with any amount of CRH dump.

I don't want to get into a thing with you here. Let's just agree to disagree because honestly most of your post didn't even make sense...... you must be too smart for me.

I just got a box loaded with silver but I also got one of my marks back..hmm I guess I'll stop ordering those loaded boxs.??? I don't know what boxs you get but around here every box has at least a handful of marked coin. Not my marks but others old and new. Every box is basically someone's dump regardless. So your saying you should not CRH a box that has any marked coin in it at all???.?

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't want to get into a thing with you here. Let's just agree to disagree because honestly most of your post didn't even make sense...... you must be too smart for me.

I just got a box loaded with silver but I also got one of my marks back..hmm I guess I'll stop ordering those loaded boxs.??? I don't know what boxs you get but around here every box has at least a handful of marked coin. Not my marks but others old and new. Every box is basically someone's dump regardless. So your saying you should not CRH a box that has any marked coin in it at all???.?

I know that most of my posts don't make sense. I'm pretty clueless on most things in life (CRH included). I compensate for my mental inadequacy with good looks and a rocking physique - so, I squeak by in life (but I struggle horribly with CRH).

It really doesn't hurt anything or anyone for you to mark some coins. I should practice what I preach and say that if that is how you want to hunt, then go for it. Just don't rely too heavily on any conclusions that you reach from seeing marks. Rely more on if your supply produces or not. That is the end game criteria. If your supply is producing, why bother marking coins? You won't change what you do if you get a mark back. Right? If your supply never produces, why bother marking coins? You need to change supply whether you get your mark or not. Right?

When I said you shouldn't hunt anywhere that you see marks, I was just being a sarcastic a-hole. All boxes, everywhere, have marked coins. Sorry. I must have woke up on the wrong side of the curb this AM.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say, on average, my boxes have 100-200 marked coins per box. My long term average 1-2 silvers/box. If you are not getting results with your current system, change. You dont need to see a marked coin to tell you that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread