Ivory and wood hinged box? carving inside... help..what is it?

lala2013

Aug 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANy thoughts? It looks like a wooden box/book with a carving on the inside. wedding scene? catholic?
thanks!
ivory024.jpg

ivory021.jpg

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
almost the same style as yours maybe the artist of your piece studied at same school

Explore ObjectCreative Commons License
The Three Theological Virtues
Each Virtue is carved from an individual tusk. The architectural setting is composed of numerous separate pieces of ivory. The composition is mounted in what appears to be the origional velvet-lined vitrine. It is signed in the masonry wall at lower left: "A Moreau. Scu.../1855."
l_pl7_71584_fnt_bw_c82.jpg

Creator
•Augustin Jean Moreau-Vauthier (French, 1831-1893) (Artist
Acquired by Henry Walters
Period
[Signature] On masonry wall at lower left: A Moreau. Scu.../1855
The Three Theological Virtues · The Walters Art Museum · Works of Art

found following these links on pg
http://www.gothicivories.courtauld.ac.uk/stories/yvard_usefullinks.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I also believe that it is very old and commemorates the Catholic wedding of a King and Queen. The Knight on the inside of the top, may well be the Knight that presented the present to the King and Queen. Now how old it is, remains to be determined and a picture of the back of the book or box, may give some indication as to the age as it should be much more worn since it was more than likely moved from time to time to clean.

Frank

Upvote 0

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
The word is diptycj for a hinged piece.

St George is on the panel on the left side and also appears killing the dragon over the altar. Suggests this is depicting an English marriage- don't know, possibly Henry VII, or, I think more likely, Aragon, and it depicts the marriage between Ferdinand and Isabella

Again, i would think a much later souvenir, possibly Spanish, possibly Spanish-American

Smithbrown

Upvote 0

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
The word is diptych for a hinged piece.

St George is on the panel on the left side and also appears killing the dragon over the altar. Suggests this is depicting an English marriage- don't know, possibly Henry VII, or, I think more likely, Aragon, and it depicts the marriage between Ferdinand and Isabella

Again, i would think a much later souvenir, possibly Spanish, possibly Spanish-American

Smithbrown

Upvote 0

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to repeat that I would appreciate more close-up photos. Especially the frontis piece, but also the bottom, the hinges, sides ... or heck anything you are willing to share. A bit of history of how you came into it would be interesting also. I would like to vote banner on it, but I would feel better about that if I knew how you got it. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
lala2013, could you get better pic of this area,as it looks like a word

is this a word.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread