JACKPOT! PT 900 with Diamonds -Update- Diamond Test Result!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My usual detecting beach hunt which is a daily ritual. Had a few clad and some little cars but no rings.

After quite a few recent disappointing heart breaking finds got this Heavy Silvery ring with a gem. Looked very good in the scoop. I quickly slipped it into my pocket and didn't confirm what it was since I had another half hour to detect.

Well I kept trying to not get too excited and I was still amazingly able to wait til I got back to the car. First look and my heart sank ... looked like corrosion on the bottom ...arghhh.

But got my glasses off (I'm near-sighted) and looked more carefully. The corrosion was decorative engraving and there on the inside no karat marking but only PT900.

Well OK..then I lost it! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: There's a huge diamond and 2 medium size and 6 little emerald cut. The engraving on the sides looks to indicate an oldie.

Found in dry sand shallow, about 3" deep with my Surfmaster PI+.

UPDATE: Now that my hands have stopped shaking I have another better photo. Hoping to get a reading on that big diamond today ..will post as soon as I know (say 4pm Calif time). HH Joe

UPDATE 2: My good buddy Dan (Captn SE) met me with his diamond tester. He checked the 8 smaller diamonds AND....YES!! REAL!!
Then the Big One........................nothing....................... What the heck .. is your machine working? Try again ... still nothing .... Arghhh it's NOT diamond!
Well, I need a 2nd opinion but it sure looks like they put a CZ in a Platinum ring. Why? Why? Why?

Attachments

• pt0 a sm.jpg
    pt0 a sm.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 9,539
  • pt6 sm.jpg
    pt6 sm.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,310
  • pt 2 sm.jpg
    pt 2 sm.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 8,110
Upvote 0

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Re: JACKPOT! PT 900 with Diamonds

Wow! Fantastic find.

Semper Fi

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

What a great find. And what a great attitude about attempting to find the owner. Very admirable and very much like all T-Netters here that would do the same thing. Major congrats to you on this Banner Find!!! :thumbsup: jgas

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wooooooooo-Hoooooooooooo!!!! :headbang: Congratulations! Breezie

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one magnificent ring! I might pass out if I were to see one in the bottom of my scoop. I hope you are able to find the owner, just imagine the joy that would come to her face!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

The sculpting on that ring shows very well the indescribable beauty of platinum. Nice rocks too. Congrats..... :icon_thumleft:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Phenomenal find sir :icon_thumleft:

Congrats

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sweet find!

A quick story.
When you take it in to be appraised, tell the jeweler you found it..
Each diamond has it's own unique fingerprint that is documented. The person that lost it, may have reported it to the insurance co. as stolen, lost etc... Get my drift :wink:

Sweet find friend!

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer

TooManyHobbies said:
There's a very unhappy woman out there. Congrats.
And a VERY P.O.ed guy as well! BEEEEEautiful my man, don't make us wait, lol, get that girl appraised yesterday!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy Crap, thats a nice ring. Congrats!

gxray

Jan 30, 2009

"Wow ..Thank you ALL sincerely for the Banner Vote!

I will definitely get a value estimate. That diamond looks too big to be real but it's platinum so maybe...

I am planning to make a serious effort (of 6 months duration) to locate the owner and possibly get a history of the ring. That ring looks like it has a history for sure.

HH Joe"

I would be inclined to think the stones are real....who would put fake stones in a platinum setting?

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also take it and get it put in an ultrasonic cleaner when you get it appraised. Take another picture of it all Ultrasonically cleaned up. :thumbsup: :laughing7:

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Dont let the jeweler take it out of the room till you get that stone checked...and then recheck it.. a diamond tester cost 30 Bucks,, Buy one! Take it from experience.

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

holy moly thats sic!! I need to go hit some beaches Tomorrow!!! awesome

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ooooooohhhhhhh........Aaaaaaahhhhhhh........Niiiiiiice.................... :headbang:

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California

TEXAN Connection said:
Dont let the jeweler take it out of the room till you get that stone checked...and then recheck it.. a diamond tester cost 30 Bucks,, Buy one! Take it from experience.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! Get a diamond tester and test the stones. They ARE real!!! Do not let a jeweler go into another room with this ring, or they might do the old switcharoo and come back and say "Sorry,.....CZ's."

This looks to be an old family ring. I bet someone's grandma was at the beach with her grandkids,...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread