JACKPOT! PT 900 with Diamonds -Update- Diamond Test Result!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My usual detecting beach hunt which is a daily ritual. Had a few clad and some little cars but no rings.

After quite a few recent disappointing heart breaking finds got this Heavy Silvery ring with a gem. Looked very good in the scoop. I quickly slipped it into my pocket and didn't confirm what it was since I had another half hour to detect.

Well I kept trying to not get too excited and I was still amazingly able to wait til I got back to the car. First look and my heart sank ... looked like corrosion on the bottom ...arghhh.

But got my glasses off (I'm near-sighted) and looked more carefully. The corrosion was decorative engraving and there on the inside no karat marking but only PT900.

Well OK..then I lost it! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: There's a huge diamond and 2 medium size and 6 little emerald cut. The engraving on the sides looks to indicate an oldie.

Found in dry sand shallow, about 3" deep with my Surfmaster PI+.

UPDATE: Now that my hands have stopped shaking I have another better photo. Hoping to get a reading on that big diamond today ..will post as soon as I know (say 4pm Calif time). HH Joe

UPDATE 2: My good buddy Dan (Captn SE) met me with his diamond tester. He checked the 8 smaller diamonds AND....YES!! REAL!!
Then the Big One........................nothing....................... What the heck .. is your machine working? Try again ... still nothing .... Arghhh it's NOT diamond!
Well, I need a 2nd opinion but it sure looks like they put a CZ in a Platinum ring. Why? Why? Why?

Attachments

• pt0 a sm.jpg
    pt0 a sm.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 9,539
  • pt6 sm.jpg
    pt6 sm.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,310
  • pt 2 sm.jpg
    pt 2 sm.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 8,110
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the bride-to-be found out it was CZ and tossed it in rage. Hence your still-glorious find.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
An old friend took a big diamond to a jeweler to have the prongs re done, (the Setting) did not know for years the jeweler stole the rock and put on a CZ that was in the 70's they been doing it for years. No Matter still an A # 1 find.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a great looking ring in platinum with small diamonds :icon_thumright: It seems the concensus is that the centre diamond is not real and your friends tester proved it. Don't be too disappointed though, it's still an incredible find that we all wish we had found! :notworthy:

coin1921

Dec 1, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could the large stone be a Moissanite. They are just under the real diamond on the hardness scale and fairly expensive. This could explain why it would be in a platinum setting.

melonhead74

Greenie
Dec 28, 2008
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!! That is one beautiful ring! My wife keeps praying that one day I will find something half as beautiful as that ring! Very unique setting, have to say probably the best ring find I've seen yet...IMHO. Congrats on making the banner! HH

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Weldone on the Banner Joe :notworthy: shame the big stone didn't test right :-\ I hope the second test reveals it is real :headbang:

SS

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Melonhead: The trick is to BELIEVE! It might sound strange and often it's difficult but really and truly you must BELIEVE you will find something good ... and you will! (persistence also helps)

HH Joe

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't dismiss it as a cz, it could be a mossite diamond which is man made and jewelers have a hard time telling the difference. My guess is it is a sapphire.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Joe congrats on the spectacular find as well as making banner :headbang:

HH,
Brian

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of that CZ commercial. :o "She will never tell..." and it will save you money. :hello2: (Only later she discovers its a CZ and throws it as far as she can.) :laughing7: To be found by you. :icon_thumleft: Man that guy was a cheap skate Haha !! :laughing9:

Still a good find you still have $1200 of diamond ring, :icon_scratch: (I think... Don't take my word for it, I'm still learning to appraise and this is how.) :dontknow: Great find !! :icon_thumleft:
Please tell me if I'm close.... :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

RyanOShea

Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac. Ex2. X-Terra. Garret pro pointer. Fisher Headphones, Whites headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUST SO YOU KNOW. ITS NOT UNCOMMON FOR DIAMONDS IN PLATINUM RINGS THAT ARE FLAWLESS. AND ARE HARD TO TEST FOR INCLUSIONS. YOU NEED TO HAVE AN EXPERT JEWELER LOOK AT IT. YES, THEY DO PUT CZ IN PLATINUM RINGS. HOWEVER 8 REAL AND A CZ....I THINK A LAB CREATED DIAMOND WOULD BE MORE LIKELY AS THE ALTERNATIVE. WHICH ARE HARD TO TEST. SO TAKE IT TO A PRO. A REAL PRO. EVEN A SMALL FLAWLESS DIAMOND IS WORTH, WELL, A SHIT LOAD!
LOOKING AT THAT RING. SOMEONE SPENT SOME SERIOUS MONEY ON IT. I'VE SEEN SIMILAR PLATINUM RINGS, WITH JUST CZ IN THEM AT 2,450.
SO EXCELLENT FIND!! WHOO HOO!

SORRY, CAPS LOCK WAS ON.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:
My usual detecting beach hunt which is a daily ritual. Had a few clad and some little cars but no rings.

After quite a few recent disappointing heart breaking finds got this Heavy Silvery ring with a gem. Looked very good in the scoop. I quickly slipped it into my pocket and didn't confirm what it was since I had another half hour to detect.

Well I kept trying to not get too excited and I was still amazingly able to wait til I got back to the car. First look and my heart sank ... looked like corrosion on the bottom ...arghhh.

But got my glasses off (I'm near-sighted) and looked more carefully. The corrosion was decorative engraving and there on the inside no karat marking but only PT900.

Well OK..then I lost it! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: There's a huge diamond and 2 medium size and 6 little emerald cut. The engraving on the sides looks to indicate an oldie.

Found in dry sand shallow, about 3" deep with my Surfmaster PI+.

UPDATE: Now that my hands have stopped shaking I have another better photo. Hoping to get a reading on that big diamond today ..will post as soon as I know (say 4pm Calif time). HH Joe

UPDATE 2: My good buddy Dan (Captn SE) met me with his diamond tester. He checked the 8 smaller diamonds AND....YES!! REAL!!
Then the Big One........................nothing....................... What the heck .. is your machine working? Try again ... still nothing .... Arghhh it's NOT diamond!
Well, I need a 2nd opinion but it sure looks like they put a CZ in a Platinum ring. Why? Why? Why?

Wow..i was reading your updates and remember something that happend about 10 years ago with my brothers exwife..she had a nice PT ring with a large stone and a couple smaller stones..Anyway..she had knocked the stone loose and took it to a local jeweler to have it fixed..about 4 years later they unfortunaly split up and she went to sell the ring, only to find out the stone had been replaced with CZ..it was orginally bought from Zales and was certified..

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bloody Belle, I modified my original post, update#2 (in blue). The eight smaller stones ARE diamonds but the big one is NOT.

I am planning to pursue this a bit further but am not too optimistic.

The setting is really beautiful to me with a unique engraved surface on the outside of the ring. It seems to be older and I wouold expect whoever lost it to be pretty upset.

HH Joe

PS: here's one more photo

Attachments

• pt 4.jpg
    pt 4.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 6,518

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
You are doing pretty well over there this year in Long, Seal and Sunset Beaches, aren't you joe ? Didn't you find another just plain old platinum band earlier this year over in that area of the So Cal coast ? Or was that Jaws2 ?

Anyway I agree with some of guys about the possibility of the stone being other than CZ (if a jeweler didn't pull a fast one or the owner lost the original stone some other way). It seems Moissanite is a pretty popular gemstone these days. I think some of these high end people like a little different gemstone to set themselves apart from the standard crowd.

I found a nice little 18k white gold Tiffany & Co ring three or four years ago in south OC. The stone was green. Looked a little dark for emerald to me. A jeweler told me it wasn't emerald. Something called Perdite. Never heard of it before and never did find out much more about that type of gemstone but thought it was interesting a Tiffany & Co ring was not using one of the traditional gemstones most of us think of.

Anyway I found this little blurb from a jewelery site talking about Moissanite. I thought some of the Tnet members who are not already familiar with this stone might find it interesting. I think if you can afford it you might want to have some with a little more gemstone expertise look at your latest find.

"Cherished worldwide the jewel is acclaimed for it exceptional brilliance and dispersion (fire) - properties that in Moissanite exceed most popular gemstones and are greater than diamonds. Moissanite is also harder than ruby, saphire and other popular gemstones and second in hardness only to diamond".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread