Jacksonville: Old Plank Road

D

Danielmc

My old man is the account manager for JEA's security. JEA holds alot of property around Jacksonville and they have a huge strip of land along Old Plank Road where is turns into a dirt road. When my father was down there scouting he found scored of old foundations and such.

Anyone here privy to the history, or know where I may be able to dig up a sanborn or any old map regarding this road?

I'm gathering my best bet is to take a ride up to the Jacksonville public library or the St. Johns Historic Society library.

Thanks!

-Dan

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Here, try this Sanborn link.http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/digital/collections/sanborn/query/index.html
It's the one I use and I looked already and there are a mess of Jacksonville maps.
I live near Orlando and don't know squat about Jax so I didn't even try to find your plank road.
One Sanborn map for Cedar Key shows a "Plank Road" and it's a road made of planks leading out to the wharf.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
DR

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old plank road * runs from jacksonville towards baldwin --it was used during the civil war as a wagon road from baldwin to camp milton and to jacksonville --its a old cordaroy type road --made from felled trees laid one next to another -- thus "plank road" as in "lumber"

Last edited:

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old ivan coming through once again...i knew it sounded familiar...i just finished reading the book on the Battle of Olustee, amazing read...Ivan do you go to the Re-enactment each year?? If so let me know...We plan on going there not sure which day yet...good luck with your research on the jacksonville area...let us know

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
best go to Olustee while ya can --the states talking about closing state parks due to the budget cuts --

Olustee is on the list

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks will do...too bad places like that aren't private property..would love to MD there...unfortunately the state owns it...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
part of the actual Olustee battlefeild is NOT state owned "protected" park land *---- on the far side of the road / across the street from the park enterance -- was the right side wing of the confederate line where the confederate cannons were at as well as some of the confederate troops -- while along the road edge on the far side is state owned right of way area (due to the highway) *** it is not part of the park -- :wink:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
kc10bull said:
Hey Ivan, What are the other parks in Florida that are on the list?

Washington Oaks and Fort Mose were on the hit list. Apparently, the state parks have gotten a Governor's reprieve/pardon from budget cuts. Citizen outcry has pressured the politicians in rethinking the strategy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread