OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. The only time New Orleans is mentioned is when one tries to claim Thomas Beale Sr of the Risqué duel or his son, is the "Thomas J Beale" character of the Beale Papers.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Can someone prove it to be accurate?
So far, NO one has been able to uncover any outside collaborating evidence that Beale's perilous adventure ever occurred outside of the dime novel's pages, the exception being the mention of the homes where Sarah Mitchell Morris and Robert Morris passed away.
The accuracy of the rest of the Beale narrative story and the ciphers, is highly suspect and questionable. which causes those who claim "cipher solutions" to force fit real unrelated historical events in the hopeless task of proving the Beale story true thus creating new fictional addendum to the treasure tale.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone once said, the Beale Papers were historical documents!
Which is a totally ridiculous assessment of that ephemeral dime novel job print pamphlet which originally published and sold in the targeted market of Lynchburg for a very short period of time before removal from sale.
The discrepancies found throughout the narrative and the complete lack of collaboration outside the pamphlet's pages of the Beale party events, make THE BEALE PAPERS no more a historical document than the works of Poe or Twain.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Beale became universally known during his stay at the house of Robert Morriss whose reputation of par excellence "extended even to the other states".
This is another mention of "house" and not the Washington Hotel which the real Robert Morris began keeping in 1823, a good 3 years after the alleged stay of Thomas J Beale at his home...
From the alleged Beale letter to Morriss dated Lynchburg, January 4, 1822-
"It was finally decided that it should be sent to Virginia under my charge, securely buried in a cave near Buford's tavern, in the county of Bedford, which all of us had visited..."-THE BEALE PAPERS

That sentence clearly implies that the Beale Party where very familiar with, and were from Bedford county, and NOT so unknown as claimed earlier in the narrative text, and then during his stay becoming "universally known"...
...which means they would have been known at Buford's during their stay while digging the treasure vault.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but the Thomas Beale Sr. in New Orleans would have been recognized by James Beverly Risque. Unless of course they had made up during the Battle of New Orleans?

For the life of me I just can not see the tale happening at all. White Americans were arrested in Spanish Territory. How would they be able to go to Sante Fe. I mean a party of 30 White American Men? Does not make sense? The Spanish Archives never said they ever showed up. They even listed when someone stole a mule or someone mentioned gold they were arrested. Many were in prisons and were never released until the Mexican Independence in 1822. The whole story came from the mind of James Beverly Ward to make a few extra dollars. I wish I could get James Beverly Ward's service record? But I have been unable to find it or obtain it. He was a paymaster in Pensacola Florida also but what years. And there was rumored to be a large treasure buried under the fort.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, but the Thomas Beale Sr. in New Orleans would have been recognized by James Beverly Risque. Unless of course they had made up during the Battle of New Orleans?...
Thomas Beale Sr would also have been recognized by Pascal Buford, who also fought in the Battle of New Orleans.
This possibly another discrepancy that would have been noticed in 1885 Lynchburg- that being the Beale Party members knew this area having previously visited before the alleged stay with Morriss, when Beale became "universally known".

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... The whole story came from the mind of James Beverly Ward to make a few extra dollars.
I wish I could get James Beverly Ward's service record? But I have been unable to find it or obtain it.
He was a paymaster in Pensacola Florida also but what years. And there was rumored to be a large treasure buried under the fort.
James Beverly Risqué, along with Davy Crocket, were with Gen Andrew Jackson during his Florida campaign, and because of that connection, Risqué requested a position in the provisional Florida government, which he never received.
James Beverly Ward was a CSA paymaster, but when was he in Pensacola as paymaster?
Fort Pickens, the major fort in Pensacola, never fell to the Confederacy, although CSA Gen Braxton Bragg tried to take it unsuccessfully, October 9, 1861. The other two, Fort McRee and Fort Barrancas were fought over many times, but with support of USS Richmond and Niagra gunboats, the CSA troops departed Pensacola, May 1862, being there for only 6 1/2 months, after which the Union retained their blockade activities in the Gulf of Mexico for the duration of the War.
During this period, Ward, created for Richmond, Virginia Printing company, RITCHIE & DUNNAVANT, "Tables of Distances from Principle Points in the Confederate States" dated 1861.
In 1862, while still in Richmond, he joined the Freemason DOVE LODGE#51.
While three of Ward's children did move to Escambia county, Florida, I am not seen evidence that Ward was ever station in Pensacola as a CSA paymaster, especially during that 6 1/2 months the Confederacy was in Pensacola, and Ward was in Richmond.

*NOTE* James Beverly Ward was assistant to the US Military Pay Clerk at St Charles, Missouri from 1840 to 1843.
Thanks to Franklin's information, Ward was a paymaster at Fort Barrancas in Pensacola, then returned to help run the farm his mother inherited from her father, James Beverly Risqué, after the death of his father, Giles Ward, in 1850.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I read on one of these threads that Franklin had located where that farm was . :icon_thumright:

Yes I know where the farm was located. I know where the cemetery was located. As for James Beverly Ward being Paymaster at Fort Barrancas. There was rumored to be a large treasure under the fort. Most likely JBW was Paymaster sometime in the mid 1870's but I can not find the record. I do have a newspaper saying he was Paymaster there at one time.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Before the Battle of New Orleans, James Beverly Risqué was with Gen Andrew Jackson at the Battle of Pensacola, November 7-9, 1814. The Americans fought against the British with a combination of Spanish, Red Stick Creeks, and former slaves, who before surrendering blew up Fort Barrancas, destroying the structure, which after the US took possession of Florida from Spain in 1821, the Fort was rebuilt in 1839-1844.
During the 1870's, a railroad was built connecting Fort Barrancas to Pensacola.
Today, the Fort is surrounded by the Pensacola Naval Air Station, Home of the BLUE ANGLES.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no "take" on Ward being a paymaster at Fort Barrancas, but am interested in what information Franklin has to verify this.
That would show a long family involvement with Escambia county Florida beginning with Grandfather Risqué extending to three of Ward's children.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread