Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually around this time of the year,, we are waiting for the ground to thaw. Up in the NYC area we are also waiting for the NYC Parks Department to put out the annual Metal Detecting Permit application. I think in previous years, the earliest that the applications have been available has been in early March. I have written a few Emails over the years,, asking why a 12 month permit is only available for 10 months or less?
Well, we are off and running this year. There is a new lady up at the North Arsenal where they issue the Permits. I spoke with her and it was a very pleasant conversation. The Applications were available for download on January 2nd. I sent in a completed Application,, along with a copy of my photo I.D. Within a week, my permit was on it's way back to me. Unbelievable!
Now the weather has been such that most of us are having a hard time believing that it is January. There have not been any sustained periods of really freezing overnight temps. We have received rain instead of snow and the ground is soft and most. That has helped with deep signals and has made digging much easier.
Location can sometimes be everything. I have been hunting a wooded area recently and it has been productive. I decided to visit an old park last Saturday and made a new acquaintance. A fellow coil swinger who was very generous with a location that I have never hunted before. It turned out to be a sweet location so far. It produced the only 1/2 dime I have ever found. I couldn't stay away from a spot like that,, so yesterday I returned and hunted it again.

Along with some clad, I was able to recover a 1940s Mercury dime and an 1891 Indian Head Penny. I spoke to my new buddy today and tomorrow we plan to go to my spot up in the woods. The oldest coin that I have found up there so far is an 1844 Large Cent.
Man, January has been very good to me.

IMG_5866.JPGIMG_5865.JPG

IMG_5864.JPGIMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

Upvote 28
ATW,

Good going on the silver and IH. Looking forward to your finds from the wooded area.

Regards + HH

Bill

too cold in Ulster to dig. your next hunt____invite mayor GOOFUSIO to join you----take him to a nice secluded spot & say "start diggin'" __________after an hour or so, when the hole is deep >>>>>>> well, you know what comes next :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: OH, and remember to fill your holes :laughing7:

January's been very good to you and you still have the weekend. Another good hunt today with plans for another hunt tomorrow, who knows what you might close the month out with.
Congrats on today's finds and Good Luck with tomorrow.

Sweet finds brother, I think I like global warming too?

We've been enjoying similar weather, atw.......keep after that soft ground, it's been very good to you so far!!

Nice finds ATW. I see you found a couple of nuts. It looks like it has been cold enough to freeze the nuts off of something! :laughing7:

Glad to see you got the permit earlier since the weather has been warm enough to get out and detect. I agree, January had been good to you ATW. Congrats on digging those 10 keepers along with the other finds. :occasion14:

Seems like you're on a roll with things going well for you- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Congratualtions on the nice coin finds! :occasion14:

I would have to agree.
Ground not froze
Met a new friend
Got a new site
Found a near mint Merc.
Awesome Jan. I haven't been out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back