Jean Laffite actual last known domicile and headquarters on Galveston Island Texas.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND! All I can find is Bedford Healing Springs in Pennsylvania, near Philly. That DOES make sense, in that FRENCH "influence" would be there; Philly (Pierre Lafitte's Washington Lodge with STRONG French "influence"); Ben Franklin, Freemason of the 9 Sisters Lodge in France... etc.

Bedford Healing Springs in PA is now a RESORT... must be GOOD "stuff" up there!

Would be "very interesting" to know if there were any Buford's in the Texas/Galveston region during the period in question?

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
AND! All I can find is Bedford Healing Springs in Pennsylvania, near Philly. That DOES make sense, in that FRENCH "influence" would be there; Philly (Pierre Lafitte's Washington Lodge with STRONG French "influence"); Ben Franklin, Freemason of the 9 Sisters Lodge in France... etc. Bedford Healing Springs in PA is now a RESORT... must be GOOD "stuff" up there!

That would be known as seven springs I think here in pa.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
1804; Medicinal/Curative Springs of Bedford PA (Pennsylvania)... with MANY hotels built near-by, LATER. Mineral Springs, Chalybeate Springs, Limestone Springs, Sulfur Springs, etc... HEALING Springs! "Google" Bedford, PA (Pennsylvania)

I think the mention of Henri Lallemande going to the springs of Virginia is in Mrs Cabels 1854 book. I believe that it was the historical sketch of Lynchburg va or Bedford cty va

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
the meeting minutes show Alexander lafitte as secretary of that lodge from 1819 to about 1826. Then he gets hard to track.

Read something that he ended up in St. Loo (St. Louis, MO); it was known as Upper Louisiana, part of FRENCH colony from New Orleans & New France (Canada)... the "French Connection" continues. Jean headquartered in New Orleans/Texas areas, while Pierre traveled to VARIOUS places... Florida; Charleston, S.C.; Richmond, VA; Philly, PA; St. Loo, MO, etc. Pierre was a "TRAVELING MAN"; ("Masonic-speak"). Pierre MAY have enticed Jean to come up "Old Muddy" to St. Loo to live, changing HIS name...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think the mention of Henri Lallemande going to the springs of Virginia is in Mrs Cabels 1854 book. I believe that it was the historical sketch of Lynchburg va or Bedford cty va

Mrs. Cabels' book has caused all kinds of problems for SERIOUS researchers doing R & I; NEVER meant to be published. She was a Story-teller; info was/were NOTES to herself (for story-telling). A couple of LATER authors (Rev. Ashbury Christian was one, I think) used HER info as FACTS... BAH!; her "book" is NOT factural & SERIOUS researchers DO NOT use it as a TRUE history of Lynchburg, VA. For example, Robert MORRISS is based on Mayor Robert Morris, who DID "board" ppl; he had MANY rooms (to "let") in his HUGE home.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ironic thing about Cable's book is that a great deal of the info checks out to be fairly accurate once you look beyond many of the other local historians. I think what we have here is a case of different sources and different opinions/perceptions within these people. Innis was frequently inaccurate and she also embellished upon a great deal of her facts and yet she is still highly regarded to many locals who wish to believe all of her writings. So I think SERIOUS researchers read what is out there and then they apply "the grain of salt" theory to most of it until after they've thoroughly investigated the information provided. Keep in mind that much of what has been written was done so without any supporting evidence being provided whatsoever. Usually there's a reason for that.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Did she write about Lafitte...?

She did not. But and there's a big but here one shady person she did write about (Capt Spain) is someone of interest. One of Girards privateer Captains is a Capt Spain. He also took some of those French refugees to Texas. Also if I remember correctly this is about the time when Capt Spain leaves the Lynchburg area to never return.

Now for the big piece I've been holding on to a large piece of info and have hit a road block. And yes I have a translation of the document. Charles lallemande was never at Camp D'Isle long. Now there's evidence in a letter putting him settling west of the Colorado river. Unfortantly the letter is incomplete. So gentlemen I'm leading you to water so to speak. Let's all drink together. I will share more if someone finds something and it will tie in to that other treasure legend lol

HH Tat

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
She did not. But and there's a big but here one shady person she did write about (Capt Spain) is someone of interest. One of Girards privateer Captains is a Capt Spain. He also took some of those French refugees to Texas. Also if I remember correctly this is about the time when Capt Spain leaves the Lynchburg area to never return.

Now for the big piece I've been holding on to a large piece of info and have hit a road block. And yes I have a translation of the document. Charles lallemande was never at Camp D'Isle long. Now there's evidence in a letter putting him settling west of the Colorado river. Unfortantly the letter is incomplete. So gentlemen I'm leading you to water so to speak. Let's all drink together. I will share more if someone finds something and it will tie in to that other treasure legend lol

HH Tat

YOU had a "Thread" on Capt. Spain, once before; I was the ONLY one to respond. AGAIN, NEVER heard of him.

Books "on-line": Sketches & Recollections of Lynchburg by Margaret Cabell; Lynchburg & It's People by Rev. Ashbury Christian. HH!

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
YOU had a "Thread" on Capt. Spain, once before; I was the ONLY one to respond. AGAIN, NEVER heard of him. Books "on-line": Sketches & Recollections of Lynchburg by Margaret Cabell; Lynchburg & It's People by Rev. Ashbury Christian. HH!

Read about Capt Spain in her book from 1854 and a month ago ran into it in Girards Collection. I know nothing about him yet. Hope to find something soon

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Florida "French Connection"

In 1824,Congress gave an outright gift of 36 Sq Miles of land near Tallahasse to Lafayette,who never came to Florida,but sold it to some French speculators.A number of Frenchmen came to "Lafayetteville" to colonize and grow grapes,olives,and figs,and to culture silk.
One of the French colonozers was,Achille Charles Louis Napolean Murat,whose mother was Napolean's sister,Caroline,and father was French Gen Joachim Murat.
Murat married a grandniece of George Washington,and had a 2800 acre plantation near Tallahassee called LIPONIA.
Murat served as Tallahassee Postmaster,servered on the city council and as mayor.
It has been rumoured that Murat had business contact with LaFitte,and yes,Florida has its share of LaFitte buried treasure tales.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a letter from, I believe, Arson Latour, and Tat will know which letter I'm referring to, that speaks of where Laffitte went after his exile from Galveston Island. "If" this letter is authentic and the information in it is accurate then it would certainly change one's perception of Laffitte and the possible extent of his wealth and influence. It might also bring into question the real spelling of his last name.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a letter from, I believe, Arson Latour, and Tat will know which letter I'm referring to, that speaks of where Laffitte went after his exile from Galveston Island. "If" this letter is authentic and the information in it is accurate then it would certainly change one's perception of Laffitte and the possible extent of his wealth and influence. It might also bring into question the real spelling of his last name.

The letter calling Latour to France in the late 1820's?

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1824,Congress gave an outright gift of 36 Sq Miles of land near Tallahasse to Lafayette,who never came to Florida,but sold it to some French speculators.A number of Frenchmen came to "Lafayetteville" to colonize and grow grapes,olives,and figs,and to culture silk. One of the French colonozers was,Achille Charles Louis Napolean Murat,whose mother was Napolean's sister,Caroline,and father was French Gen Joachim Murat. Murat married a grandniece of George Washington,and had a 2800 acre plantation near Tallahassee called LIPONIA. Murat served as Tallahassee Postmaster,servered on the city council and as mayor. It has been rumoured that Murat had business contact with LaFitte,and yes,Florida has its share of LaFitte buried treasure tales.

I've thoroughly looked at this subject. One must look at congressional records on this one. Yes the land was given to the French but they were not allowed to colonize like the did in Pa, Al, and Tx. A copy of the Monroe doctrine was given to certain members of that party and Murat was one of them. This is a very deep confusing topic. But I will say I believe this move by the French for more American soil is what the Monroe doctrine was written about. And if you've seriously researched Lafitte you will find other names that will look firmiliar.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always felt that the Monroe Doctrine was directed at a certain faction rather then the a particular nation.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since things are already touching on that other mystery, it wouldn't surprise me if we someday learn that Cpt. Spain & Mexico Sherman were the same man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread