Jesse James Hide Out

LordoftheZincs

Dec 14, 2013
San Juan Island WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also keep in mind the age of that story, and the number of years metal detectors have been available. Not saying not to search, but be mentally prepared for a LOT of searching, and start on the outer fringes or any place difficult to reach. Everyone starts at the obvious/easy spot.

Good post. Yes, treasure stories are a dime-a-dozen. But the persons telling the story, and chasing legends, are 100% positive the story is iron clad bullet-proof true. No amount of pointing out the the telephone game and alternative explanations (or how it's downright ghost-story lost-mine bologna) will do any good. The faithful will continue to believe. Especially if you throw in a few faded newspaper clippings, add a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro, and then it MUST be true :)

Glad to see a few familiar faces over here! :hello: When I was a kid I lived in WY and we used to go camping at the hole in the wall area every summer. Wish I would have been into md'ing back then, I woulda found ALL of JJ's loot! :BangHead:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Crosse De Sign, when I was a kid, my buddy and I would sometimes carve or write graffiti with fake dates. Like "So & so was here, May 8th 1875", etc... Just to goof off. I wonder if anyone ever read it, and took it seriously ? So too is it possible for people to possibly put Jesse James initials or name somewhere.

Tom_in_Ca,

Well sure it's possible, and a lot of other misleading things.
Chances are, not gonna look like it was done in the 1800's...

Perhaps Frank found it all, though he apparently didn't find it all in
the Wichita's, and others were fortunate enough to find the clues he
could not... I heered he visited the area, but he was selling replaceable
pebbles off of Jesse's grave about then supposedly too...

I suppose that's another untold family secret...

Some added discussion and input on this:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...mes-treasures-do-they-likely-still-exist.html

Also a very nice contribution and treasure tale, from okietreasurehunter's own blog...
http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html?m=1

... :sunny: :fish:

:cross:
~:Crosse:~

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't put much weight into initials JJ could be Jesse or a Kid playing Cowboys & Indians,
or Outlaw. Could also be Jack Junior, John Jackson, Jeramya Jamison or even Jana Jordan.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Cache or 2 out there though that were hidden by Jesse

Last edited:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see a few familiar faces over here! :hello: When I was a kid I lived in WY and we used to go camping at the hole in the wall area every summer. Wish I would have been into md'ing back then, I woulda found ALL of JJ's loot! :BangHead:

Did JJ make it on up to WY. ?
Seems Butch and Sundance spent all their hole in the wall loot, and went prospecting,
or bank robbing in South America, where the Federales suddenly ended their career...

May be a JJ cache or 2 is left lying somewhere hidden in the cool damp earth,
though don't expect anyone will say, if so...
... :sunny: :fish:

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best story I ever heard was about having to go through the large roots of a tree into a hole in the wall. Dad when alive wouldn't talk about the storys, guess it was pretty bad back then. I wouldn't mind looking and walking the old areas they rode and hide. May have to put that together one day.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Best story I ever heard was about having to go through the large roots of a tree into a hole in the wall. Dad when alive wouldn't talk about the storys, guess it was pretty bad back then. I wouldn't mind looking and walking the old areas they rode and hide. May have to put that together one day.

That sounds like another potentially good story, that may never be told...

Like so many other stories about JJ, that one would never want to take the risk of... :sunny: :fish:

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google search.
Marvin
The area was remote and secluded, easily defended because of its narrow passes, and impossible for lawmen to approach without alerting the outlaws. From the late 1860s to around 1910, the pass was used frequently by numerous outlaw gangs. Eventually it faded into history, with gangs using it less frequently. At its height it featured several cabins that gangs used to lie up during the harsh Wyoming winters, and it had a livery stable, a corral, livestock, and supplies, with each gang contributing to the upkeep of the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread