Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking you are meaning the overall length of the entire jet (not just the inductor log).
They have been making them shorter for weight reduction and they only need to be so long in the first place but it still needs to be keep the inductor(log) below the water surface or you get yourself a heck of a rooster tail blowing out of your sluice. So on the older crash box modle they were longer but now that the sluices are running at water surface no need for the long jets. Hope that answers question.

OP
OP
S

soggybottom

Greenie
Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
I'm thinking you are meaning the overall length of the entire jet (not just the inductor log).
They have been making them shorter for weight reduction and they only need to be so long in the first place but it still needs to be keep the inductor(log) below the water surface or you get yourself a heck of a rooster tail blowing out of your sluice. So on the older crash box modle they were longer but now that the sluices are running at water surface no need for the long jets. Hope that answers question.

yes i think thats what i was after, "the over all length" the one i was looking at had the "pressure" hose coming in at one end and then the rest of the pipe was like 3' long and made of steel and seamed to be real heavy.

thanks for the help

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious about this as well . Is there a reason why the venturi pipe is so long or could it be cut down a bit? to like 18"s.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dd- There is a section on the jet wall that wears from abrasion so if you went that short you would place your flare in the line of fire, so to speak.
Dual logs don't wear as bad due to opposing pressure but rocks still wear the jet wall just a little slower than a single log.
You could cut down the old style jets that were like 4 to 5' long. Maybe like 3' or so....
The venturi action needs to be contained within the jet tube. Also, as I said above, the log (inductor) needs to be below the water surface.
Dredge On!!!! :icon_pirat:

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good GH! I figured there was a reason along those lines . I will see what I get when I get my 5"x2x2" jet log.
Sluice box is in the works! can't wait to see that when Its done.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The longer the"sweet spots" are in your jet ,the better the suction as a complete water seal--minus turbulance,is need to propel the water into the box--same same as jet too short and log /logs outta the water and then wimpy or a BLAST you'll definately NOT be happy with-Steel is mandatory or eaten up in very short order. For ease of construction and MUCH better suction precast jet logs are obtainable from keene/precision/proline and you just use exhaust muffler pipe to cut the induction hole,weld in place and GO MAN GO-tons a au 2 u 2-John---PS over 4" of new snow and mo' mo' mo' a comn'--winter in spring thing this year soooo :tard:

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep , Dad said the river is up quite a bit and my holes from last year are starting to fill in finally. Hope it continues.

jaguargene

Feb 8, 2011
I'm in the same boat.I need a 4 inch X 3 inch.Thinking of muffer pipes. I will send you my email (PM)so I can send you some plans for jets

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've added a rather long, 3 foot extension to the 4" power log that I use on the dredge that I've built. I went to Home Depot and bought an $8 non-pressure piece of white 4" plastic pipe. The weight reduction on the sluice was outstanding. If I need to tune the length of the pipe, I have an abrasive wire saw that I always keep with me in the event of an entanglement or simply leave enough on the jet to slide up or down like a trombone.

Check out the image file attached.

By the way, I'm not in the pictures.

Best of luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread