pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to hear that OBN is alright-get well-a wake up call for most of us-regardless if it's just land or water.

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers for a speedy recovery OBN you are an inspiration for us older dudes. Prayers do wonders. I had a 50/50 chance of surviving multiple blood clots on both lungs that landed me in the Hospital Dec. 23 to Dec.28. I was alone due to covid and scared. The Dr. suggested that I say good bye to my wife over cell phone and I prayed and asked for Gods help. By the Grace of God I survived and I am so thankful to be alive.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this cheers you up a bit, Joe. You made page 4 of the print edition of the Bay Bulletin (chesapeakebaymagazine.com/baybulletin) - ahead of the state record flathead catfish on p. 8. This is the free "Bay Weekly" paper you see at the grocery store exits And you remain anonymous in the news that I've seen.

prosub

Jan 12, 2013
up state ny
Detector(s) used
X-Call2,AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update glad to hear he's on the mend

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart. Extremely well said my friend thank you again for sharing with us..

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon I also wish Joe a quick recovery ..Im not familiar with a flotation device can it be used wearing chest waders

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon I also wish Joe a quick recovery ..Im not familiar with a flotation device can it be used wearing chest waders

As long as you can get your hand inside the waders to pull the rip cord.

Inflatible Life Vest.jpg

Bass Pro Shops A/M 24 Auto/Manual Inflatable Life Vest | Bass Pro Shops

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Always good to plan ahead and to have a plan out. He obviously was prepared for the worst and with his yrs of experience, probably what saved him. I know he always uses a floating sifter in deep water which can also be used as an emergency floatation. One of those noodles can keep a 200lb man afloat. OBN and Chicago Ron inspired me to make one. I feel much safer having one out in deep water

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I was wrong a pool noodle, depending on thickness can float 250lbs. So guys if you make a sifter use the whole pool noodle not cut in half and then you have a floatation device if you get into a jam. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610986173.758682.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess about 5 years ago now, Joe came down to meet Indian Steve & I. One of the nicest people on TNet. We went out to one of our spots and invited him in the water, but he chose to just watch us and let us keep our finds!!!

Joe doesn't really need a detector - he vacuums the finds off the sand :)

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you're doing well Joe. Remember it will all still be there in April and May. Wishing you quick recovery !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get a text from him, he is home and has been home a few days now.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes for Joe (OBN), and a speedy recovery !!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Many Thanks for the Prays, well wishes and kind words.

I have to say It was a miracle to make it thru this one. And the big saver was the floating sifter and the lord. I stepped into a deep hole about 500 foot off shore, never touched bottom but my drysuit had air in it so I came back up, but full body...head to toes.. floating. Since all got me by surprise my lungs took in a lot of water. Disoriented, I tried to paddy in but was unable, after about ten minutes I started yelling for help. Luckily, I was heard and help came. The bad was I had a doning tube coming out of my neck seal, {used to let the air out of the drysuit} it was slowly allowing cold water to come in. If I had not had the sifter to keep my shoulders and head on I would have slowly went under. I did not have a life preserver on but figured the suit would save me, in away it did but with the air in the suit being equal from head to toe all I could do was float, unable to get my feet back on the bottom.

I have made a few resolutions on this, Always wear a Manual inflate life jacket when doing reconn of unchartered or deep areas in the water, and staying out of the water once it goes below 50F. If I were wearing a wetsuit this time or my drysuit with out the Muck boots which hold air, I would had been fine. But with the extreme coldwater drysuit i see now it is totally unsafe.

Right now I feel good and the only issue seems to be getting back my endurance. Something I hope will come back in time. I still love the hobby but will be taking a vacation from detecting, not sure how long for I can hear the beach calling me now.

Please be safe in your adventures ..Thanks to everyone again,....Joe

OP
OP
midalake

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks for the Prays, well wishes and kind words.

I have to say It was a miracle to make it thru this one. And the big saver was the floating sifter and the lord. I stepped into a deep hole about 500 foot off shore, never touched bottom but my drysuit had air in it so I came back up, but full body...head to toes.. floating. Since all got me by surprise my lungs took in a lot of water. Disoriented, I tried to paddy in but was unable, after about ten minutes I started yelling for help. Luckily, I was heard and help came. The bad was I had a doning tube coming out of my neck seal, {used to let the air out of the drysuit} it was slowly allowing cold water to come in. If I had not had the sifter to keep my shoulders and head on I would have slowly went under. I did not have a life preserver on but figured the suit would save me, in away it did but with the air in the suit being equal from head to toe all I could do was float, unable to get my feet back on the bottom.

I have made a few resolutions on this, Always wear a Manual inflate life jacket when doing reconn of unchartered or deep areas in the water, and staying out of the water once it goes below 50F. If I were wearing a wetsuit this time or my drysuit with out the Muck boots which hold air, I would had been fine. But with the extreme coldwater drysuit i see now it is totally unsafe.

Right now I feel good and the only issue seems to be getting back my endurance. Something I hope will come back in time. I still love the hobby but will be taking a vacation from detecting, not sure how long for I can hear the beach calling me now.

Please be safe in your adventures ..Thanks to everyone again,....Joe

Really good to hear you are on the mend Joe. Thanks for letting us all know what happened! Look forward to your next gold find picture!!!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread