Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What happened to Joe should be a warning for all of us. Undoubtedly Joe is an absolute expert in water hunting.

If this can happen to Joe - it can happen to any of us. All be safe out there - won't be long till it's water season again for many of us.

Look forward to seeing you in the water again my friend.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad hes Ok everyone be careful.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe... First I would like to say thank goodness your alive... and thanks for posting up your story... glad you were able to.

To all those who waterhunt... I cannot stress strongly enough to all those who read this...
Take head from Joe's story... This is an example of how a simple day in the ocean doing something like countless times before... can turn ugly in seconds EVEN for an experienced veteran of water.

I see may people out there who think they are in control in water... but the truth of the matter is... you are only really in control to an extent... the day you assume you are... or are complacent one too many times... or take the water for granted... you too will realize my words.

"The mysterious mistress will wait patiently... until you least expect it... or just plain slip... then she (the sea) can and will seize the moment to take the controls.
Remember this most of all... and prepare for it...

You can do something a thousand times without a hitch... but it only take one time for it to go terribly wrong.

Take heed and take care... and most of all... take precaution.

BE safe out there... for it IS NOT safe out there.

All I can say is... thank goodness Joe lived to tell us about it and tell you his story first hand so others may realize how REAL it can get.

Best wishes Joe. :)

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had some frights along the way, but never nuthin ever like Joe went through. I thank Our Father Joe is still here with us.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am quite comfortable in and around water... for I grew up in it... on it or around it... I was very adventurous ... stubborn... and thought I was in control of my situation.

And due to this... My respect for water was learned the hard way... and I admit... I could not be here typing this because of it.

One thing I know first hand and FOR SURE...

You must respect the water or it will slap the ___ outta you OR worse if you give it a chance to do so.

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're OK joe, can't believe we almost lost you to covid. :laughing7:
Take care and get back out there, we northeners live vicariously through you.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't know me but I follow you closely and like seeing your finds and sometimes pick up a tip here and there from you and the other long time water hunters. I'm really glad you're ok and I agree, our lord and savior had his hand on you that day, praise Him! Get well soon, be safe and get back out there when you can. Happy Hunting!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't know me but I follow you closely and like seeing your finds and sometimes pick up a tip here and there from you and the other long time water hunters. I'm really glad you're ok and I agree, our lord and savior had his hand on you that day, praise Him! Get well soon, be safe and get back out there when you can. Happy Hunting!

Yeah.. I really have enjoyed some of Joe's finds... Especially the fishing weights... I really liked those best... :P

:)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are ok my friend - hoping to get down and hunt with you again - so keep safe :icon_thumleft:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to hear your on the mend and write of your experience is helpful.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks for the Prays, well wishes and kind words.

I have to say It was a miracle to make it thru this one. And the big saver was the floating sifter and the lord. I stepped into a deep hole about 500 foot off shore, never touched bottom but my drysuit had air in it so I came back up, but full body...head to toes.. floating. Since all got me by surprise my lungs took in a lot of water. Disoriented, I tried to paddy in but was unable, after about ten minutes I started yelling for help. Luckily, I was heard and help came. The bad was I had a doning tube coming out of my neck seal, {used to let the air out of the drysuit} it was slowly allowing cold water to come in. If I had not had the sifter to keep my shoulders and head on I would have slowly went under. I did not have a life preserver on but figured the suit would save me, in away it did but with the air in the suit being equal from head to toe all I could do was float, unable to get my feet back on the bottom.

I have made a few resolutions on this, Always wear a Manual inflate life jacket when doing reconn of unchartered or deep areas in the water, and staying out of the water once it goes below 50F. If I were wearing a wetsuit this time or my drysuit with out the Muck boots which hold air, I would had been fine. But with the extreme coldwater drysuit i see now it is totally unsafe.

Right now I feel good and the only issue seems to be getting back my endurance. Something I hope will come back in time. I still love the hobby but will be taking a vacation from detecting, not sure how long for I can hear the beach calling me now.

Please be safe in your adventures ..Thanks to everyone again,....Joe
So glad you made it through that extreme situation Joe! No matter what you found, that was a lucky hunt for the sole fact that you're still on the planet! A lesson for you and the rest of us. I have been out in 35 degree water in a thick wet suit (similar to Casper) many times in the frigid waters of the great white Midwest and I try not to be lured too deep chasing those alluring tones. Where I hunt there's very few if any people around to hear a cry for help in the winter. I try to run through "what would I do if..." scenarios in my head just in case, but you never know how life might change in a matter of seconds. Wishing you all the best for a fast recovery Joe & hope your next hunt (whenever that may be) will be safe and very successful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread