Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the spring of 1850, 6 african americans jumped ship at Port philip [Melbourne] and worked their way to the first gold rush at Warrindyte [40 miles north of melb] .One of these african american would later become a famous here. His name was Jonathon Harris born round 1824 in the south to slave parents and thats all the history i can find about his youth.By 1851 the six men had worked their way to Bendigo and the gold rush was on in the local creek, at the time called the Ravenswood sheep run.Being many of thousands of diggers seeking their fortune, Jonathon and the others decided to try their luck a couple of miles due north and began to loam the side of a hill until they found surfacing of a quartz saddle reef and struck gold.Being the first to find gold in this area they claim the government prize[2000 pounds] and filed their claim at Camp hill.After working their claim for a few months, long came a fellow called G.Emmit who reckened he found the gold there first and Jonathon and his friends had claim jumped him.Emmit filed no claim so Jonathan was the legal owner.He decided to to call this reef the Husstlers reef as someone had tried to hussle him out of it.Soon the others had made their fortune and sold their share of the claim to Jonathon and went else where and i have no info what happened to these other 5 men.By 1852 many hundreds of americans worked this reef.Jonathan Harris sold his claim to John Boyd Watson 1855 for 9000 pounds and moved to other rushes seeking more wealth.He claim the gold prize for finding gold at Long Gully and in 1873 left Australia and i have no other info on what happen to him.By this time there where 150 deep lead and reef mines and most where owned and operated by americans. Some of the mine names where U.grant,Red,white and Blue,Husstler extender,Comit,New England.
the mine reef produces about 4 million ozs of gold from 1851-1930 and was one of 36 saddle quartz reefs in the area.All reefs run north to south.

The area i have been working the past month is called Shallow creek and is a flood way and runs west to east and 3 of the main quartz saddle reefs cross the creek and the creek was worked several times by many different types of people, e.g chinese,welsh,americans and so on.i did go back there this after noon and found a few more things. which i will post a pic of in the morning and then will be followed by everything i have found in the past month.Anyone got a truck ;D ;D ;D.There about 500 relics ,coins, bottles tokens ,buttons, glass bottle tops ,cermic doll bits , some jewellery,lamps,and heaps of brassy things and what ever else.all age between 1830-1930 post pics tomorrow .thank for looking

tinpan

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread