Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Dont They Join?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• coinS.jpg
    coinS.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,214
  • coinSb.jpg
    coinSb.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Cache of 50 Silver Coins...Why Don't They Join?

Welcome back!

No, I didn't dig these coins! A very good friend did. A friend I'd love to see as a member here.

Here's the story. I'm laid up for a week or so with this bad knee..eh? Meanwhile a friend who hunts the back areas in the fine state of California sends me this letter. As soon as I pick it up I know something good is inside. Yep...a nice coin with an even nicer story.

He was hunting his usual hot spot when he gets this big fat signal and digs all these great coins. He ends up dropping one into an envelope and mailing it to me. Nice guy, eh?

Now here's the important thing, why won't this guy join here? Simple! He doesn't need this and he's always digging stuff that most of us here can only see in our dreams.

This guy digs coins and relics dating to the early 16th century! How many? Hundreds! (100's).

Even early Spanish gold cobs and stuff that if he posted it here there wouldn't be 30% who would even believe him.

Why am I telling you all this? I'd like to see these true Giants of our hobby come forth. Many hold back for fear of being called a liar or fraud. Man, lets try to get them here! Some are already here but hold back on their postings.

Come on you winners!

Thanks for your time.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

DJ_Quinn said:
Awesome! I can't ID the coins, are they French?

The peseta (₧, ESP) was the currency of Spain (and Andorra, along with the French franc) until December 31, 1998. It was divided into 100 céntimos (until inflation eliminated the céntimo), or, informally, into four reales.The five-pesetas coin was nicknamed duro.

Badger

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Badger

Just out of curiosity, would I be correct in assuming your friend is not here in the states?

16th century coins ?

Diggem'

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

diggemall said:
Badger

Just out of curiosity, would I be correct in assuming your friend is not here in the states?

16th century coins ?

Diggem'

In the post above I mention he's in California (or was). Like the East coast, the West has it's great treasure spots. Southern California holds some of the most awesome Spanish treasure one could imagine. However, few ever seriously go after it.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

WOW.....your friend really hit a nice one. I wish I could find just one spot like that.

I would love to see photos of his other finds. I find everyone's finds interesting and exciting. Hope your friend will come around and sign up.

Would he let you post photos for him?

HH to him and you...........Ann

D

doyboy

Tell him to sign up. Where does he mostly hunt?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

ronandann said:
WOW.....your friend really hit a nice one. I wish I could find just one spot like that.

I would love to see photos of his other finds. I find everyone's finds interesting and exciting. Hope your friend will come around and sign up.

Would he let you post photos for him?

HH to him and you...........Ann

It's a really funny thing with this type...they usually care little about pictures. I've been after him for a year to carry his camera but the last trip when he found this cache he had left it home :'(

He digs this stuff though. I've purchased over 100 coins from him and many dated in the 1500's (Spanish copper cobs).

See, there are tons of Spanish cobs in the U.S. due to the Spanish using them as trade items with the Indians and other purposes. The finder of this coin even found a copper cob that had been made into an arrow point.

Even today Native Americans have a special feeling for copper.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

doyboy said:
Tell him to sign up. Where does he mostly hunt?

I've asked him to sign up but he just doesn't have the time which means he doesn't need it.

By-the-way, this fellow is well-known in some circles. One of the major treasure magazines knows all about him. He has a name in this hobby.

I guess I can see it his way too. If I were digging 200 to 300 coins every month that dated in the 1800's to 1700's (or sometimes older) I guess maybe I wouldn't bother either.

As for his location, lots of people would like to know. I only know that years ago he found a piece of property about the size of a football field back in the very wildest area of California. He sees Mountain lion tracks on his way to his site.

Anyway, he believes it was once the site of an early Spanish Trader Camp. It was probably destroyed by the Indians and later the ground was tilled for farming. This spread all the caches all over the area. He's been hunting this small area for years and the stuff keeps showing up after tillings.

Sorry, this is all I know.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Michigan Badger.....oh, my hubby's the same way (not that he found anything near as to what your friend found)...but does not take the camera. Me? My camera is attached to my hip LOL.

Maybe, just maybe, I will be so lucky to find something interesting like that coin that you posted or find something of interest in regards to Indian Artifacts.

I'm sure there are lots of "unfound" Spanish treasures in this area....maybe I will be the one to find atleast one cache of it :). I need to research and read more on the Spanish and when and where they were here and all....that may help :)

HH.........Ann

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

ronandann said:
Michigan Badger.....oh, my hubby's the same way (not that he found anything near as to what your friend found)...but does not take the camera. Me? My camera is attached to my hip LOL.

Maybe, just maybe, I will be so lucky to find something interesting like that coin that you posted or find something of interest in regards to Indian Artifacts.

I'm sure there are lots of "unfound" Spanish treasures in this area....maybe I will be the one to find atleast one cache of it :). I need to research and read more on the Spanish and when and where they were here and all....that may help :)

HH.........Ann

Best to you Ann! It's great to see gals who love treasure and the hunt! 8)

All that I posted above is 100% true. I would show more of his stuff but someone might be able to identify him.

Also, he's not the only one out there doing this right here in the U.S.A. Being somewhat in the coin business in past years (hobby) I met some of them.

I'll tell you, if I were 20 years younger I wouldn't waste all my time digging clad. There're much bigger fish to fry out there!

Best to you and your husband!

Badger

J Dubs

Aug 12, 2006
IOWA

Do you know what kind of detector he was using when he found the coins?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

J Dubs said:
Do you know what kind of detector he was using when he found the coins?

I had to go back and check one of his emails. Yes, he uses the Explorer XS I pro.

Badger

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Good story Badger.

They have there reasons for staying hidden. I can be honest with you all if I made a big big find or have already I probably wouldn't post them.

These are full time treasure hunters who dedicate there lives to hunting day in and day out.

There times spent in the field and researching so much. They don't have the extra time to use the forums.

If I could full time treasure hunt I could do alot of damage. But that's not life at 25.

It's a great and fun hobby. But it's something if your good enough that can turn into a way of life.

I often heard stories of great treasure hunters losing there wives and families from persuing so much time in this hobby.

You can get real lost in this great hobby. There is something about old coins and the past that gives you a fealing like no other.

It's a great natural high that we all like to feal.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

JerDfx said:
Good story Badger.

They have there reasons for staying hidden. I can be honest with you all if I made a big big find or have already I probably wouldn't post them.

These are full time treasure hunters who dedicate there lives to hunting day in and day out.

There times spent in the field and researching so much. They don't have the extra time to use the forums.

If I could full time treasure hunt I could do alot of damage. But that's not life at 25.

It's a great and fun hobby. But it's something if your good enough that can turn into a way of life.

I often heard stories of great treasure hunters losing there wives and families from persuing so much time in this hobby.

You can get real lost in this great hobby. There is something about old coins and the past that gives you a fealing like no other.

It's a great natural high that we all like to feal.

HH Jer

Great post and so true! One can become obsessed with this hobby without much effort.

In this case the fellow isn't a fulltime treasure hunter. He actually has a very good day job. But, he's smart as all heck and majors on research. On top of all this he's one great guy.

Badger

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks for sharing the story. Very interesting. Nice of him to send you a morsal. :D

I know a few treasurehunters that just don't want to bother with the forums. I would also agree with JerDFX, If I found a lot of really great stuff(hard to imagine) I would be reluctant to post. Jealousy has a way of dividing people. I do think it's a shame that we miss out on a lot of these finds but honestly I enjoy the stories as much if not more than the actual finds themselves.

By the way - cool coin! ;D

Bob

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Thanks for the story! i do belive he got the cache of 50 silver coins! Its possible!!! :)

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X

Badger,
I like your post, I was feeling the same thing about posting the rings I found in the past.
But then sometimes I wonder about some of the posts I read on here too. It is hard tell
when someone is really good, or just pretending. I was in a club in Virginia where we had
a guy who would buy old coins and bring them to the meetings to show those coins and say
he found them. This same guy would come to the club hunts and not be able to set up his machine or recover a signal if he did find one.

On the other hand I know guys, and ladies out there that find the good sites and really recover some
fantastic finds. I think I am pretty good and I get my share, but there are some out there that are just very good .. and very lucky. I know there are guys like your friend that are in good areas where they do make the finds like 50 silver coins in one cache.

Just my thoughts ..
Tom

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Michigan Badger said:
Now here's the important thing, why won't this guy join here? Simple! He doesn't need this and he's always digging stuff that most of us here can only see in our dreams.

Why am I telling you all this? I'd like to see these true Giants of our hobby come forth. Many hold back for fear of being called a liar or fraud. Man, lets try to get them here! Some are already here but hold back on their postings.

Come on you winners!

Thanks for your time.

Badger

Great story Badger. That guy has got it going on for sure, good for him!
And good for you, getting the first hand accounts and the present.

You are certainly right about what you said,
a lot of people here wouldn't believe him
and would place nasty comments or send harrassing PMs.

I have received some nastys recently
questioning my integrity and it's not fun,
it squishes my mojo and ruins the good parts of this forum for me.

I hope you can can back on your feet again soon
and get back out there to dig some goodies
and share them here. Thanks again my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread