jumping targets on the cz3d

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noticed yesterday that I had a target jumping from foil to nick...dug up the wire used to attach chain link fence to post. tested it on a few more and they matched.

Any tips on the 3d for other iffies that may turn out to be good targets I should pay attention too.

Starting to learn to GB better and noticed way better depth from the 3d yesterday. 69 cal at a good 9-10" but it was a honker hunk of lead. Best coin was a nick at about 8"

Noticed on a big target overload I raised the coil and it went to iron, did this one time though and it went high tone with 2 Q right on the top of the ground.

I can't fully answer your question concerning the jumping around, but I think that I saw a Youtube video where it is important to dig targets that are steady, but I have been digging everything anyway in order to learn the machine. I know that ground balancing is important to get the depth. Today, I wasn't ground balanced properly and even had trouble getting a tone on some change on the ground, but it could be because like most machines, the 3D likes a halo in the ground.

I do have another question though. I noticed today that sometimes when I push the pinpoint button the detector will continuously high tone even when I lift the coil off the ground, let off the button and push it again. I then noticed that my needle will peg over to the right in the silver range and then take a few seconds or a second target to move back to the left. This happened quit a bit today. Has yours done this?

I would think that would have GB wrote all over it the way you described. (first hunts I notice I had a bad habit of lifting the coil...push pinpoint then come back over and down....caused all sorts of strange things) Come off target with coil to the ground...push pinpoint then move into target. I have found that if I push pinpoint while over another target or the target it will blank out. Pushing pinpoint and raising the coil will also cause a false.

Your pin will change with targets as they go under the coil. I have read that the sticking of the needle is normal until a new target is picked up, mine does this as well.

As far as the OP I guess I am trying to do things as I did with other units. Like you said, I need to dig the repeatable high tones that don't change location.

Last edited:
I would think that would have BG wrote all over it the way you described. (first hunts I notice I had a bad habit of lifting the coil...push pinpoint then come back over and down....caused all sorts of strange things) Come off target with coil to the ground...push pinpoint then move into target. I have found that if I push pinpoint while over another target or the target it will blank out. Pushing pinpoint and raising the coil will also cause a false.

Your pin will change with targets as they go under the coil. I have read that the sticking of the needle is normal until a new target is picked up, mine does this as well.

As far as the OP I guess I am trying to do things as I did with other units. Like you said, I need to dig the repeatable high tones that don't change location.

There are some Youtube videos of Dirtfishing where he investigates jumping signals on the 3D.

Thx, I'll check them out.

3Ringer, the CZ's are designed to bounce between 2 ID's if it's conductivity falls in between preset ID's. In other words the needle won't hit halfway in between 2 ID's, but will hit back and forth between possible target ID's. This can of course be caused by all kinds of factors like different alloys of pulltabs/ gold jewelry, coins on edge, depth etc.

Last edited:
I see, I remember the screen unit I had would look like a slot machine on some targets before locking in.......or if it even did. Thx Fletch88, makes sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back