Just a couple o questions

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one
Hey people, I've been having a mosey round the forums and have a couple of questions for y'all.

First of all, I don't mean to insult anyone or anything like that - I'm only trying to understand.

K. So why do you guys take home allthe ring-pulls and things like that? I can undertsnad digging them up to get them out of the way so ye don't pick them up again, but why take them home?

Also, ...when people say that they've found a ring but it was on top of the ground, don't they first think to try and find an owner? - It seems to me that if it was on the top, maybe it was lost not that long ago and someone is still trying to find it.....

Well? Hmmm? Hmm? :munky2:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hellcat said:
K. So why do you guys take home allthe ring-pulls and things like that? I can undertsnad digging them up to get them out of the way so ye don't pick them up again, but why take them home?

Also, ...when people say that they've found a ring but it was on top of the ground, don't they first think to try and find an owner? - It seems to me that if it was on the top, maybe it was lost not that long ago and someone is still trying to find it.....

Well? Hmmm? Hmm? :munky2:

1. Taking home the trash or simply throwing it it away at the nearest trash can is basically just good for the hobby and for the enviornment. It lets people who think you are just out there digging holes and tearing things up know that you actually care about what you are doing.

2. Yes it would be a good idea to see if anyone around was looking for a lost ring but if you walk up to someone nearby and stick the ring under their nose and ask if they lost it they are probably going to say it is theirs whether it is or not.

OP
OP
Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one
Hey Savant. Thanks for that. I don't know I never thought of just tidying up abit :P Makes sense.

I still dunno about the other thing though. Over here, it wouldbenormal to take it to the police/report it and all that, then if no one claims it, ye get it back. Maybethat's not how it works over there though.

Either way, thanks for clearing those things up for me.

~Vic~

:icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most rings that are found "on top of the ground" might not really have been lost recently. Most of our laws say that anything of value that you find should be reported to authorities. After a certain amount of time you would get it back. However many times it was "lost" or they didn't have records of if it was returned. It gets costly to run ads looking for owers too.
I still dunno about the other thing though. Over here, it wouldbenormal to take it to the police/report it and all that, then if no one claims it, ye get it back. Maybethat's not how it works over there though.

We save pull tabs as a silly way of keeping track of all the ones we dug thinking it was a gold ring. Most class rings can be returned if we can locate the owner.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just take pulltabs with me so that I won't dig them up again. ;D I think most people have some idea what we are doing when we are metal detecting. Television commercials and all that. I figure that if I was to find a piece of jewelery on the ground and the owner was around they would probably come over and maybe ask if I had by any chance found a particular piece of jewelery. Otherwise it's mine.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
i take home every thing too. i sort out the recycles and look every thing over good. sometimes i find that what i thought was junk is something interesting. never found a ring on the surface.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
i take everything home because i like the look on my other half's face when i empty my pockets on to the table and begin staring at everything in wonder(including the ring pulls) whilst keeping a straight face ;D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hmm, I've found seated coins right on top of the ground before (heard the beep, moved the coil, and saw it sticking out of the dirt looking at me). Does that mean it was "recently lost"? Contrarily, I've dug zinc pennies at a foot deep. Does that mean it was lost 100 yrs. ago?

On the beach it can be real tricky, especially on the wet sand. Beach wet sand is constantly moving with the seasons. Heck, a foot of sand can come or go with a single tide or swell. There's simply no way to know if it is a recent loss or not. Even if the ring is an antique ring, you can't assume it is therefore "an old loss", because quite frankly, people wear antique rings. My wife, for example, wears an heirloom ring passed down from her grandmother. So you just never know.

I will agree though, that for undisturbed turf, it's probably a safe bet that something right on top, is probably a recent loss, verses something down several inches. But flukes DO happen. Gophers bring stuff up. I know this because I've gotten old coins in gopher mounds before. And if the soil from the mound, a few days later, were kicked out and scattered, so that it was just grass again (no visible dirt), an old coin or ring could be "right on top".

OP
OP
Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one
Hey, I suppose that makes sense.Like I said, I'm newto this so any info that you guys hand out is very much appreciated.Maybe I just need to learn more about how the soil moves etc.

Thanks for that Tom!

~peace~

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I take the trash out so I don't have to dig it again later, some of it is recycleable, some of it isn't trash and you don't know that until you clean it.

Also it can be a saftey issue if kids are playing nearby.

I just feel like I am doing the right thing when I take the trash out with me.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Our Code Of Ethics:

Respect the rights and property of others.
On private lands, always obtain permission, explaining how carefully you remove coins, et cetera.
Observe all laws whether national, state or local. Aid law enforcement officials whenever possible
Always conduct yourself in a manner that is courteous and polite.
Never damage in any way public or private grounds.
When coin shooting in public parks, school grounds, churches or anywhere that the ground is neat and/or natural, you must:
Have an apron or trash pouch to carry off all unwanted items uncovered and discard all junk in a trash receptical.
Do NOT cut cone shaped plugs or knife-shave grass roots from plug.
Use a probe, small trowel, or a knife.
Replace dirt and plug neatly and foot press down firmly. Brush any remaining dirt into the grass or use a drop cloth to keep dirt off of the grass.
Have as your objective to make a better image of the hobby everywhere you go.

OP
OP
Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one
Wow, thank you warsawdaddy. That's alot of good advice.

Please forgive the ignorance (and I'm lucky I've only done MDing on my own grounds so far) but how do you not leave cone shaped dug-outs? What I mean is, I've been using a trowel. (I'm getting a shovel soon) But the trowel seems to leave what you have described.

I fill it in of course; but is there a certain way/shape to dig?

~Just trying to understand~ :wink:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I assume you're talking about green turf, right? (as opposed to a weed-choked lot, or hard pan, or cow-pasture type ground cover, etc...). If you're talking turf, it depends on whether your target is shallow or deep. If you hear a LOUD beep that is obviously a shallow target, then you can probably pluck it out with nothing but little persuasion with a screwdriver. But if you need to make a "plug", then be sure you keep the dirt in-tact with the bottom of the grass roots. Because if there's no "root ball" (so to speak) and if you've just shaved off a thin divot of nothing but grass, then it will surely die. The best way to keep the grass alive, is to keep the most dirt as possible attached to the bottom of your plug, under your grass. Better yet, to keep one side of the plug attached to the grass, so you create a sort of "flap". (But that's a pain in the b*tt to work with, as it will keep you from swinging back over your target if needed).

After you're all done with a plug, be sure to stomp it hard with your foot and full weight, to keep if from coming dislodged again. Also makes it look better (as opposed to it sticking up slightly)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I agree with that and if you are BRAVE enough to hunt a place that the owner is really worried about make sure to make the plug with part of it still attached, leave it attached and then carry a little water with you in a plastic bottle. Wet the underside of the plug with a little bit of water and put it back in the hole. It will help keep the grass from turning brown and dying.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Hellcat,

The reason we photograph even pull tabs, is because we like showing everything we find. It's pretty funny. Also if you found 50 items and 40 were pull tabs, then it looks like you barely found anything. Most people throw them away after a photograph, but I throw mine into a bucket just to show everyone everything I have found. Plus some can tabs can be really old from like 1940's - 1950's. So it's worth saving.

When I found my 10K ruby ring I researched for the owner, but the thing is, there is no telling how long that ring has been sitting there. Even on top could be at least a year. Most people post lost ad's for a month or two and give up. So it's quite hard to find the owner. Also when someone says it was on "top" it usually means it was 1" - 2" deep. Anything I can dig lightly I say was on top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread