Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes
late 1800's Morgan.
It was only the second time I had used my old yard sale detector which until about 3 months ago I thought was the coinmaster 6000 DI?
But it was the coinmaster 5 supreme it had no discrimination and from what I read in the whites 1981 catalog it came out in 1974, man as a kid lugging that thing 16 blocks away from my house was brutal as I was only 8 1/2 years old and not a very big kid back then.
When I dug that thing up I really didn't know what I had until I got home with it and my parents saw it they were more excited than me because I thought metal detecting was suppose to make you candy bar and soda pop rich.:BangHead:
Strange thing I put the Morgan on top of my dresser it went missing for 2 weeks and oddly enough I found it on the floor of the closet in my room the closet was inset into the wall, I would latter have many incidents such as that things showing up weeks latter in strange places where I didn't put them.
I found quite a few old coins in that park where I found the Morgan to the point to where now I wander what was going on there,it seemed I only found more modern stuff closer to the play ground and parking lot.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope. Best I ever did was a Kennedy half.

Dug plenty of Loonies and a few Toonies up in British Columbia some 20 years ago.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, but I have a theory about this. Silver dollars laying flat probably sink very slowly in most soil conditions. Hence, the first guys to hit major hunting areas with their BFO and older detectors cleaned up
on these large coins long ago (50's,60's, 70's).
Now if it is on edge, it has a chance to sink much deeper in ground to who knows what depth but certainly out of range of BFO and older detectors. But with today's detectors, that must be an ear blasting sound - a Silver dollar laying flat.
Still how much of the earth and ocean will never have a coil pass over it? They are still out there waiting for some lucky TH'er! HH!

I took care of my itch for a piece of eight when I ran into someone whose dad was involved with Atocha recovery and they had a couple on display in a museum. When asked if a could buy one - they very kindly gave me one for a contribution to their museum.
They mentioned no price but I looked up value and gave them that. A piece of eight is what our Silver Dollar was based on in size and weight, or so I was told.

Attachments

• B1888.jpg
    B1888.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
  • B1889.jpg
    B1889.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 14
  • B1891.jpg
    B1891.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not metal detecting but yes while cleaning out an apartment I found 4 in a Mason jar half full of cornmeal they jingled when I threw it in the trash. I know cornmeal doesn't jingle so I checked it out and SURPRISE, SURPRISE. SURPRISE.I remember Peace and Morgans can't remember how many of each sadly they were sold.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes or no...
Have you ever found a Silver Dollar ? Not talking about Sacagawea Dollars, but yes for Eisenhower Dollars, though not silver.
Just yes or no... I have not in 35 years of hunting... although I have dug almost everything else..

YES
NO

NO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread