Just a flake

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not getting much creek time with the early dark days and now we've got a huge wild fire going on so the smoke is pretty serious so we're in the red alert for air quality but today it was windy which is bad for the fire fighters but good for air quality. So I went in the creek and raked around a bit, only thing I found was this flake which to me is pretty cool. It looks like rhyolite but in this area it's called argilite. I've found a few of these flakes in the past and one Savannah River projectile point made from it so not surprised to find the flake. Thanks for the look and HH!

WP_20161119_001.jpg WP_20161119_002.jpg

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting material, and one can only wonder what the finished artifact this flake came from looked like. I just saw the news yesterday concerning all the wildfire in your area, and I hope y'all get a good drenching gully washer to help put out the fires, and to help expose more artifacts from your creek. HH

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I hated to hear about the fires up there. Been up in that area a lot, when I lived in upstate S.C.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Yes we need some serious rain dances done for western NC, so much fire it's crazy! Chestnut Knob Fire is ground zero for my area right now. This pic was from a few days ago from a church parking lot and these are what I call my mountains. I live past those houses closer to the bottom of the mountain, left side of this pic and it's crazy watching it unfold. There are 2 ponds near me the helicopters are getting water from.
WP_20161112_003.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I always get happy when I find that type of grainy flakes cause rite away I think Celt. But so far all I have found is the flakes and not the finished artifact made from them.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Wow! Looks like a nice little scraper with a graver spur. I'd say that is more than a flake with the edge work I see and that spur on what I'd say was the bit. look that thing over a little better peaches.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! I'm curious if there's any way of finding out whether or not Archies will be searching the exposed ground.
I read an article a while back about how they realized there's a small window of time to rush in after wildfires and search for Artifacts that were once hidden by layers upon layers of underbrush and trees.
If it's legal to hunt the area I would grab as many people I could and scan the whole forest. I hope the fires get put out ASAP and your family and friends stay safe!

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Yes we need some serious rain dances done for western NC, so much fire it's crazy! Chestnut Knob Fire is ground zero for my area right now. This pic was from a few days ago from a church parking lot and these are what I call my mountains. I live past those houses closer to the bottom of the mountain, left side of this pic and it's crazy watching it unfold. There are 2 ponds near me the helicopters are getting water from.
View attachment 1383399

Glad you got out and found something. I'm a little to the east of you and like you, we've had only one good rain in the last ten weeks or so...when hurricaine Matthew came through. My fields are just waiting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread