Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather's still too nasty for my mood yet. But, I wanted to experiment with settings. So, I went out my front door again to try something. Didn't really work but I did uncover this key fob. Interesting enough find.

IMGA2682.JPG IMGA2683.JPG IMGA2684.JPG

My question is about finding holes uncovered. Like I said, I was out front and nobody else is hunting there. I'm walking back in when I see a divot. After getting over there I remembered the hole. It was one of mine! Now, I know I can get excited and "MAYBE" forget to replace my divot. But, know for a fact I replaced this one. Too close to the house.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone has ever found holes they know they cut and filled, uncovered again? Also, is it possible that animals might come along, smell the fresh dirt and maybe dig it up thinking they might find a buried chestnut? Is that possible? I've dug other holes but none have come uncovered again. I think I remember that I didn't really stomp this divot back in place very firmly. But it wasn't loose by any means.

Thanks for peeking.

HH!

Upvote 4

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've definitely had that happen in my yard as well. I find the deeper plugs tend to stay put, so maybe it's just the shallower ones are getting washed out or something.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've definitely had that happen in my yard as well. I find the deeper plugs tend to stay put, so maybe it's just the shallower ones are getting washed out or something.

I never thought about it before but it sort of makes sense. This was not in a place where it could wash out, not even freeze out. But, I could see something like a squirrel coming along, smelling the fresh dirt and thinking it might be a hiding place. I wonder how many holes, I've refilled while hunting, weren't really from sloppy hunters not covering up? LOL

HH!

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug holes in my yard and after filling back in my dog came by and dug them back up lol I guess she wanted to see if buried bones

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure what kinds of wild animals like to pull out the plugs, but I have seen it several times with my plugs. In my area I'm guessing it's either squirrels or racoons--guess they think I've hidden food down there. I've seen it done at both parks and house sites with my plugs and it's very frustrating as I try to be very neat with filling in my holes. I will warn homeowners where I hunt that sometimes animals will pull out the plugs and I will often return the following day to make sure everything is OK and to fix any plugs that have been removed.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what kinds of wild animals like to pull out the plugs, but I have seen it several times with my plugs. In my area I'm guessing it's either squirrels or racoons--guess they think I've hidden food down there. I've seen it done at both parks and house sites with my plugs and it's very frustrating as I try to be very neat with filling in my holes. I will warn homeowners where I hunt that sometimes animals will pull out the plugs and I will often return the following day to make sure everything is OK and to fix any plugs that have been removed.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should carry a little bottle of "Oil of Coyote". A drop or two should keep 'em away. :)

Actually, I'm thinking that if I stomp the plug back into the ground tightly, they might not try so hard to dig it back up. :)

HH!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny you mention the "Hole" thing. Because i was just talking about it not to long ago, and I phyiscally SAW a squirral digging in a hole I had dug not 20 mins ago...lol..So i would say its for sure animals....Sometimes I go hunting and see these, and think, Dang, are all the targets 2 inches deep, but than i noticed the little feet print around them.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny you mention the "Hole" thing. Because i was just talking about it not to long ago, and I phyiscally SAW a squirral digging in a hole I had dug not 20 mins ago...lol..So i would say its for sure animals....Sometimes I go hunting and see these, and think, Dang, are all the targets 2 inches deep, but than i noticed the little feet print around them.

Hmmm, I see fuel for detectorists catching a bad rap, huh.

HH!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a yard once and later found a plug overturned and the grass had gotten crispy. I felt badly about it, but the homeowner said they had a skunk that (unfortunately) was living under their front porch that had likely done it. I'm sure it happens a lot with squirrels, raccoons, etc.

HH

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never thought about it, But it does make sense....They smell the fresh dirt and think that something good is buried there and go to investigate it......................HH

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too long ago I looked up to see a fox 15 feet from me. He kept coming, maybe 10 feet away and the first thing I thought of was rabies. Turns out he went straight for my last hole and was sniffing and investigating that! I moved off quickly regardless.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fob !!!:headbang:

weemskat

Jun 23, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very likely. When I set out my trail camera, many times I will scrape a section of dirt out in front. I do not use bait or scent and get many photos of animals sniffing that area. Or we could look at it this way. If someone was digging old coins from a area you would like to go see what they missed. As a animal if something else may of found food there you would want to check it out also to see what it was.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had crow like birds digging up my holes, aggressive little bassturds, had to go back and refill 11 holes. HH, Mike

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I've noticed. None of the holes where I've stomped the plug back in tight has been uncovered. I do tend to cut them a bit deeper than most in order to be able to repair better. I always try to leave the ground better than when I got there. If it takes a bit of grounds-keeping, then so be it.

Guess I didn't tighten that one up very well. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread