Just back from Barber site

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I had to go back this morning to the forbidden Barber site. I only had about two hours. The law of averages on barbers caught up to me. No silver this time, but a 1919 wheat and a memorial penny. Is the 1919 rare if certain mark? Also, I found the coolest thing. A few inches down I found a red metal case (copper or maybe brass) about half the size of a cigarette pack, with a snakeskin type pattern on the outside. The covering crumbled to show a glass covered photo. The glass is intact. The photo appears to be a woman in a black dress, but it's not easy to tell. I am going to have some other people look at the photo without telling them what I see to see what they say. It won't show up on a photo I bet, but I will have Earthworks give it a shot and post it when he can (he's my official photographer). (I know, there could be some great coin in the back of the photo, but for now it will have to wait. Anyway, I doubt there is because I'd probably see it through the degraded photo.) I only saw one person the whole time, a guy out jogging.

Upvote 0

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1919s is the most valuable, but still pretty common...about $10 in XF condition. Nice find though

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Should be titled "Back from Covert Opertations" :D

I can see if you only saw one other person you would trust it to be "worth the risk".

Too bad didn't score any more silver. Maybe have to try a different part of the property or bring your $1000 detector. ;) Any more plans for returning?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like every other trip out I find a 1919 wheat penny. Seems to be the most common date I find most of the time around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread