Just Bought a Stingray II !!! A Relic Guy Jumping into Water . . .

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
My first venture into water hunting starts this spring. Hope I can keep up with all of you beach combers. Just picked up a Tesoro Stingray II for a good price. I've read up on it, and I like what I've seen. Price had everything to do with the purchase b/c I know the Tiger Shark is an upgrade, but this Stingray II does nicely - I hear.

Okay, what do I need to know about water hunting. I know I need a scoop and I know I need sunscreen. Anything else? Oh yeah, make sure I can swim.

Ian

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ian

good choice on machines! About the only advice I can give you is hit the busy beaches and put in the time. I don't know what the finds are like in your area but up here on average I figure about 1 gold for every 4-5 hours in the water during the summer. Sometimes it takes a while to get the skunk out but after the first one it gets easier.

GFTG
Tom

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the encouragement. That's a good ratio of gold to hours put in! I'm looking forward to my first gold find. Heck, I'm looking forward to my first silver anything!

Ever find older coins? I know of a couple of old swimming areas from late 1800's - but I'm afraid that the coins are too deep to be detected.

ian

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older coins are rare but every once in a while I run into a spot where they are not too deep and detectable. Last spring I was testing out a 6" coil at a small beach a few blocks from my house that is loaded with nails and iron and got an IH and Seated Dime. I'll try to post a pic of the take from that hunt if I can find it.

Attachments

• ie3.jpg
    ie3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 367
OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Wow! That seems like a great day hunting even for an old homesite! Maybe a relic hunter lost his finds while swimming ;D What's the history of the beach, is it more than a hundred years old - must be. See, I've been thinking that near me there are two spots where there used to be pull ferrys that would pull people across the river. It cost like 5 cents. 10 cents if you had a cow with you! Basically, im sure some of those coins are in the river bank. Problem is, it might be too dangerous to go in.

can you recommend a scoop to use in rivers?

Ian

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Ian,

I use aqua socks (water shoes) when I go water hunting. In addition to wearing the water shoes, I slide my feet. By sliding your feet, it helps you feel the edges of holes and it scares aware any thing that is on the bottom. I got my scoop from my local Tesoro dealer (www.greaterpittsburghdetectorsales.com). His name is Harry and it is a great scoop. The handle is adjustable and the basket comes off so that you can use just the basket (on the beach, etc). Hope it helps.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SaginawIan said:
My first venture into water hunting starts this spring. Hope I can keep up with all of you beach combers. Just picked up a Tesoro Stingray II for a good price. I've read up on it, and I like what I've seen. Price had everything to do with the purchase b/c I know the Tiger Shark is an upgrade, but this Stingray II does nicely - I hear.

Okay, what do I need to know about water hunting. I know I need a scoop and I know I need sunscreen. Anything else? Oh yeah, make sure I can swim.

Ian

I did a lot of water hunting years ago. I miss it. Nothing like finding a shiny gold ring in the scoop!

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaginawIan said:
Wow! That seems like a great day hunting even for an old homesite! Maybe a relic hunter lost his finds while swimming ;D What's the history of the beach, is it more than a hundred years old - must be. See, I've been thinking that near me there are two spots where there used to be pull ferrys that would pull people across the river. It cost like 5 cents. 10 cents if you had a cow with you! Basically, im sure some of those coins are in the river bank. Problem is, it might be too dangerous to go in.

can you recommend a scoop to use in rivers?

Ian

Ian the area is about 130 years old. The beach is right next to a river inlet that has had 3 or 4 different bridges built over it in the last 120 years. Also, it had ice houses (long gone) next to the water for storing ice into the summer months and I don't know what all else. Anyway, the shallows are full of iron of all sizes and types. Its not unusual to scoop a target and get 2-3 rusty nails in the scoop or a large rusty mass of whatever. Small coils are a must for this place. I was using the ID Edge with the 6" coil at the time.

As for scoops for rivers I can't give you any ideas. I use the Sunspot 7-11 for all my wading. The size is just right for me and the pointed solid stainless basket is indestructible. My preference is also for a wood handle and its the only stainless scoop I know of with one.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread