Just Bought Some Coins Today

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Hi I just bought 2 ancient coins I do not know a lot about. Here they are
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424025997.260205.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424026051.864708.jpg
I did by a Greek owl so I was wondering if it is rare which equals [emoji383][emoji385][emoji389][emoji387][emoji386][emoji384][emoji388]
Here is the other
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424026153.138559.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424026201.096022.jpg
I also got these for being a regular customer!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424026253.998050.jpg
Any information is highly appreciated!
Jolteon

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really help you, but you're spending in the range of the prices on the holders for coins you don't know anything about? Anyone can slap $125 price tag on $50 coin, and they do. Be careful or you could spend a large pile of money and have not a lot to show for it in the end.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I did not pay the full price i negotiated to 125$ for everything he is a nice guy he would not fool me I have been dealing with him for years

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not pay the full price i negotiated to 125$ for everything he is a nice guy he would not fool me I have been dealing with him for years

Cool... I personally can't see much interest in buying an unknown, and I highly doubt it's a good investment... plus it's just not my taste but that doesn't really matter. I just know how it works because it's what I do for a living.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know alot about them? that first coin has tons of info on it.

Have you tried looking them up online?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's some history on the second coin:
Maroneia was a farming and trade center founded at the foot of Mt. Ismaros on the southern coast of Thrace, about 30 miles east of Abdera, in the 7th century B.C. by colonists from the island of Chios. The place was named for Maron, a legendary priest of Apollo, who features in the Odyssey as the bestower of gifts on Odysseus. Maroneia was renowned for the excellent quality of its wine and vines feature prominently on its coinage. Mythology relates that Odysseus got the Cyclops drunk on red wine from Ismaros. The horse appears to have been the special emblem of the city though its precise significance is uncertain. It reached its zenith in the 5th century B.C. and, together with Abdera and Aino, was considered the most prosperous city-state in Thrace. Galloping across the face of this ancient Greek coin is the city's ancient mascot, a beautiful prancing horse.
Don.....
Source: Worthpoint

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It strikes me as odd that you bought coins you know little or nothing about. Having said that...

Since you know and trust the seller I doubt you were "ripped off" but I'm sure he did enough homework to make sure he wasn't letting something extremely valuable go for $125.00. But who knows? Stranger things have happened.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Wow very interesting I truly appreciate all the help! I did not buy these coins as a investment I bought it for the love of the coin. I probably payed a little much on it but it was 2:00pm and he did not have a customer all day! He my friend was open 6 hours and I felt bad thought I had to buy something! Those ancient coins stuck out at me but the horse I think I made out on that was a coin since I bought the owl I got it for 10 bucks and said the following "I got that in a lot I don't even know if it is from Greece I'll through it in with the owl! So I appreciate the help I truly do and I just want to say treasurenet is the greatest website out there best of luck! Signing out,
Jolteon

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow very interesting I truly appreciate all the help! I did not buy these coins as a investment I bought it for the love of the coin. I probably payed a little much on it but it was 2:00pm and he did not have a customer all day! He my friend was open 6 hours and I felt bad thought I had to buy something! Those ancient coins stuck out at me but the horse I think I made out on that was a coin since I bought the owl I got it for 10 bucks and said the following "I got that in a lot I don't even know if it is from Greece I'll through it in with the owl! So I appreciate the help I truly do and I just want to say treasurenet is the greatest website out there best of luck! Signing out, Jolteon
I think that's great. I'm glad you bought the coins because you love 'em. You didn't spend your butt off for them, and they bring you joy, so I think it's a win. Some people don't understand that, but a lot of people do. Good luck in the future.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very interesting I truly appreciate all the help! I did not buy these coins as a investment I bought it for the love of the coin. I probably payed a little much on it but it was 2:00pm and he did not have a customer all day! He my friend was open 6 hours and I felt bad thought I had to buy something! Those ancient coins stuck out at me but the horse I think I made out on that was a coin since I bought the owl I got it for 10 bucks and said the following "I got that in a lot I don't even know if it is from Greece I'll through it in with the owl! So I appreciate the help I truly do and I just want to say treasurenet is the greatest website out there best of luck! Signing out,
Jolteon

You can buy many interesting coins on ebay for far less money. That's likely where he is getting them, then adding a %. Cut out the middle man and save yourself the money. Bid, don't buy fixed price listings.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's great. I'm glad you bought the coins because you love 'em. You didn't spend your butt off for them, and they bring you joy, so I think it's a win. Some people don't understand that, but a lot of people do. Good luck in the future.

Not sure who doesn't understand that, but if you're going to do it you might as well be smart about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread