Just Curious how you Easterners get permission

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Any thing other then private or public lands would most likely be against the law.

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to hunt known civil war areas? Are they on private property, Govt. Owned Property, or both?

I know most of the people who I have asked and they just said come on. One is a civil war hospital and sherman came right through the property and Ill be there in the morrning. The owner is a great guy and the house was suppose to be haunted but who knows .

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh how I wish I were out east.. CW Relics would be such a thrill to find. The closest thing I have here in Neb. for a battle is..

Near this site, July 12, 1859, Nebraska Territorial Militia and U. S. Army Dragoons, totaling 300 men, under the joint command of General John Milton Thayer and Lieutenant Beverly Holcombe Robertson, prepared to attack a large Pawnee village. Alerted, the Pawnee immediately surrendered. Without bloodshed, the Pawnee War of 1859 was ended.

It had begun July 1st, when messengers arrived at Omaha, the territorial capital, reporting numerous depredations by Pawnee against Elk Horn Valley settlers. If the Pawnee were to be punished, immediate action was necessary.

Only the Governor could call out the militia, however, and Governor Samuel Black was a day's journey away. Petitioned by Omaha citizens, Territorial Secretary J. Sterling Morton assumed the responsibility and issued the call. Thayer with forty men left immediately in pursuit. A few days later he was joined by Governor Black with more volunteers and Lieutenant Robertson with Co. K of the 2nd U. S. Dragoons.

Though no battle occurred, the stream where the attack took place became known as Battle Creek, and the nearby town took the same name when founded in 1867.

Battle Creek Improvement Club
Nebraska State Historical Society
Hwy. 121, north of Battle Creek
Madison County
Marker 94

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permission ? I Don't need no stinkin' permission :dontknow:
I got you're Permission Right Here !

Seriously though , I never hunted near a civil war site.
too far away.

but the obvious answer is "Ask"

if told no, say. "thank you for your time !"
and go ask someone else.

If your friendly, people arn't going to tear you a new one.

my opening words with a smile are usually,

"Hi ! Sorry to bother you, I ............"

& no people do not go running for shotguns in the real world :tongue3:

if told No, Thank them for their time & Move on.
Don't try to wheel & Deal your way in.
using words like "But" , "you don't understand" , or any
other defensive/offensive remarks thinking you'll change their minds.

if you feel you must react, at the very most, try to hand them a card, saying, "This is me, if you change your mind",
Not a word more.

Last edited:

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything besides private property is going to be off limits for civil war battle sites.
I have never "yet" hunted any civil war sites but I have asked permission to hunt farms,old homesteads,corn fields,large gardens in late fall and so on.You would be surprised at how many people will grant permission,saying I doubt your going to find anything but junk but go ahead if you like. Then every now and then you'll run into an odd duck that just does not want anyone on their property period.
If you ask nice like and assure the property owner that you will not damage the land,take all trash away and maybe offer them a find or two I bet you'll get permission to hunt someones private property.Good luck & happy hunting.

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had one person turn me down and it actually surprised me a bit. I know the people really well and at first they said sure. Then called me a few days later and said they had changed their minds. Im wondering if they happened to see that stupid Rick Savage. Any way I was just curious. Thanks for all the responses!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nujasonwf8 banned for spamming........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread