Just Curious

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
I just started to post this fall on TN.

I put my location in, And started to find people pretty close to me.

Iv'e met Mirage and Nate And hope to meet others. I really don't know anyone who else detects in my area.
But it was great to meet and share this hobby. I say What the heck. Put in your location.

As far as giving out locations to good spots. Use your best judgement.

I wouldn't take anyone to a location unless I could trust them.

I have invited Mirage and Nate to the silver mine (i should be there now!!!) next spring. Because I know I can trust them. They have kept the iceburg a secret..

ZoSo71

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey
I'm brand new to TN also, and I listed my Loc in hopes of meeting like-minded people....Have already met a couple of guys......

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I think its just basic human nature no to be too trusting of others until you get to know them well. TN has about 14000 members, but only a relative handful of "core" members / contributors

If you were to post your identity and location, and then post pics of the handful of 20 dollar gold pieces you found, could you be confident that none of the 14000 would try and help themselves to your good fortune ?

Likewise with the hot spot info; If you knew where I was, and knew I was finding good things at a local landmark, it wouldn't be hard to figure out exactly where that spot was.

Can't really blame people for being "secretive".

Diggem'

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I post my location but usually don't post too many details of where I hunted. I can safely say a school or park and you would not have much idea which park or school. That way my "hot spot" is still safe.

I do think it is helpful to know where a person is from. It tells a lot about the type of hunting they do. You learn better from others when you know where they are from.

Mirage

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind telling where I live, but I don't like to give up my hunting sites. A couple of times I have spent weeks scouting a place, found a few goodies and posted the locations. Next couple of days there was 3 or 4 MDers all over my sites. There are a lot of MDers who read this forum and others but never join or post just because they are too lazy to research on their own. Monty

SoMdRelicHunter

Sep 12, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
schj24-

I agree with most views on this one.I gladly post where i live and if anyone ever wants a mding partner im also glad to go.However, that being said i wont just take anyone to a "honey hole" persay, but if i went diggin with some one ephew times and got to know and trust them, it might be a diff story.Be warned though;there are untrustworothy people in the world who will gladly steal from you or take your spots, a good indication of someone like that would be if you take them ephew places and they never offer to take you to any of their places...or one day they just stop talking to you and you go back to your spot and find it all dug-up and destroyed(no holes filled in Etc.)Believe me, its happened to the best of us, but, most people arent like that, just a fraction.And not many of that fraction are here on T-net...

-=SoMdRelicHunter=-

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I live in Cocoa Florida, I have guns, my house has cameras, don't come in without knocking. I like hunting partners as long as their detector isn't as good as mine, If you go digging with me cover your holes.
Thats all. ;D

HH
Dale

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do I live ? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Oh ya Des Plaines IL

Oh by the way my name is BOB too.............

Sorry to far for me to buddy up with and hunt.. Looking forward to your finds................

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
theloadroom said:
Here I am come and get me! ;D LOL

ah you about two hour north of me i am some where south in utah

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Farmercal said:
I have yet to figure that one out. By posting where I live, I have gotten PMs from folks that have lived here before and gotten some pointers on areas to search. I have nothing to hide and feel all my hunting sites are free to the public.

Well I'll be...another Crestview resident! Me too ! Finding areas around here (Crestview) to hunt seems to be the biggest challenge I'm coming across. My Dad has done MDing for a Very long time and used to know of a bunch of places, but with property selling like crazy, most of the places he used to hit now have big fences and bigger no trespassing signs on them!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hiding locations in certain hobbies is not too uncommon.......I personally don't, but as a Largemouth Bass fisherman and member of the nybass forums, I can tell you that some people there are very protective of where they fish, and keep their "honey holes" top secret. Many times a place is referred to as "Lake X". The term "Hunted out" here goes along with "Fished out" over there.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Houston, TX.......I am 34, have a wife and one child, a dog, cat and mice in the attic. I drive a Cherokee and wear a black Resistol just about everywhere I go. I am 6' tall and 200 lbs. and I am still not worried about anyone finding me or any place that I hunt.

No one has my cell number, address, mother's maiden name or social security number. No one knows what grade my kid is in, where he was born, my middle name, or the last place I took my wife for dinner.

I don't think stating where you live is all that big of a deal, unless your town is really really really small. I just mean that I like seeing where everyone is from. Let's my imagine run wild about what there must be in those areas. I love the thought and notion of the hunt. Even if it is someone else's hunt. I can hunt it in my mind and no one can stop me. I can take anything from your spot, in my mind's eye, and it will never cut anyone short. I just like hearing about people's secret honey holes. I think it helps keeps some folks motivated.

Don't tell where you are. I'll tell you this. Peggy Park in H-town was acquired in 1925. It is in ghetto-ville right off Wheeler St. Lots of bottle caps. I still managed a wheat and a bunch of clad. Mostly pennies and dimes. If anyone lives in the H-town area and has a machine better than my BH 3300, I suggest you give this place a try. I know I won't be hitting it again any time soon. Knock your socks off.

Laater...

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Will Dig...I have lived in the Houston area all my life, know where Wheeler is and would not even think about detecting that area. Being 6' and 200 lbs is not gonna stop a bullet... :-\... That is the only problem in our area, good places to hunt, but man it takes big kahoona's to play in those areas. I stay mostly on the beaches and the burbs of Houston like my town of Pearland. I have always wanted to go to the Heights and hunt that little grassy area between the sidewalk and the street but yet again....too chicken, too scarie, wah wah wah. Good luck to ya, Rita

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the town in hopes that someone would contact me via PM for some hunting. So far no go. Just went to a local playground yesterday and saw that another MDer had smashed it hard. It has been there for some time. I found one dime and one zinc penny. They are out there and probably don't know about TN yet. If they do they are lurking for new sites. Who cares??? Keep doing research and ask for permission to hunt places that may not have been hit yet. Last month I hit a local school and ended up scoring close to a hundred clad coins with a sterling ring to boot!!! First sterling ring ever!!

Some day I will hook up with Jeff of PA if it's ok with him. He has been doing this a lot longer than me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathabs said:
I posted the town in hopes that someone would contact me via PM for some hunting. So far no go. Just went to a local playground yesterday and saw that another MDer had smashed it hard. It has been there for some time. I found one dime and one zinc penny. They are out there and probably don't know about TN yet. If they do they are lurking for new sites. Who cares??? Keep doing research and ask for permission to hunt places that may not have been hit yet. Last month I hit a local school and ended up scoring close to a hundred clad coins with a sterling ring to boot!!! First sterling ring ever!!

Some day I will hook up with Jeff of PA if it's ok with him. He has been doing this a lot longer than me.

Sounds like a Great Idea this Spring "E".
at this point I'm planning On Doing alot of research,
and eventually Searching along the susquehanna
between Harrisburg & Sunbury.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread