Just got Land Star - Beach tomw - need your help

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Just got Land Star - Beach tom'w - need your help

Hi BHers: Yesterday I received an almost-new ;D Land Star. Tomorrow the temp. here in NYC is going to hit 79 :icon_sunny: so the wife and I are planning to go to Coney Island to test the machine. I will appreciate any help you can give me as far as the Ground Balance on the dry and wet sand, including possible black sand. I'll be up until 2am, EST, :icon_study: so I'm looking forward to your informative, helpful replies. As the Beatles sang: "Don't Let Me Down." :thumbsup:

doobie

Aug 8, 2005
macon ga.
Re: Just got Land Star - Beach tom'w - need your help

:thumbsup: i have a land star it good in wet and better dry sand you will be fine take your time. it is a good machine there but have fun good luck :thumbsup:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Silver Fox,
Congrats on the almost-new machine!!
Take the manual with you so you have the GB procedure on hand.
I have hunted Coney Island, the ground conditions/ mineralization change rapidly, be sure to re ground balance the machine from time to time and definitely when you go from the wet to the dry and vice-versa.
Can't go to Coney Island without stopping at Nathans for a couple hot dogs and some fries :thumbsup:
Good Luck!
Glenn

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Hey Silver Fox,
Congrats on the almost-new machine!!
Take the manual with you so you have the GB procedure on hand.
I have hunted Coney Island, the ground conditions/ mineralization change rapidly, be sure to re ground balance the machine from time to time and definitely when you go from the wet to the dry and vice-versa.
Can't go to Coney Island without stopping at Nathans for a couple hot dogs and some fries :thumbsup:
Good Luck!
Glenn
Thanks Doobie and Glenn.

Linda and I went to Coney Island after a late start. We got to the boardwalk off the Stillwell Ave. subway stop. Couldn't go to the Ocean Ave. entrance 'cause Lin wasn't in shape to go the extra distance as you, Glenn, suggested. Besides, it was going to be a basic test of the machine as Lin bugged me check it out soon in case there was something wrong with it, since I bought it sight unseen of an eBay dealer and she's usually paranoid.

I gave myself a break with the machine by hip-mounting it inside my previous GARRETT goodie bag. I cut a hole in the bottom for the cable connection and now all I had to heft was the rod. The cord was a little short for the distance but I took it easy and made short coil swings. I scanned the Manual before going on the sand and basically tuned it and left it alone. I'm happy to say it's a quiet machine until it finds metal. So I was able to find 2 corroded cents in the wet sand, with no falsing, and a dime in the dry sand. The dime sound was definite. The cents were the low and the display was consistent.

After an hour of walking a short distance between reefs we called it quits very satisfied with the machine. I looked forward to using it in Riverside Park which was a failure when I used the Discovery 3300. I like the Land Star and it looks like it's going to be the last detector I own before they come out with screens that show visually what's in the ground, if I'm still alive! I'm wondering what it might have been like if I had taken the Discovery 3300 to the beach since it drove me nuts in the park.

And, of course, first stop after the beach was NATHANS. A couple of hot dogs, a lobster sandwich, fries, orangeade and we were happy campers. It was such a beautiful day but very cool at the shore.

Sorry, I won't show photos of the dime. I discarded the corroded cents.

Silver Fox
NYC

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Glad to hear the machine ran well. Sounds like it's a keeper :thumbsup:
Glenn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread