Using a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter for gold prospecting?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me if this metal detector or pretty well any of them for that fact can be used to scan over river beds, etc for gold prospecting or would a different machine be required? I am sure I won't be finding big chunks of gold ore, I figure maybe small grains, or maybe some gold dust in the sand and shallow part of the river by the banks.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might take a look at a little machine called the Falcon MD20 Gold Probe. I got one as a present & was kinda amazed with it. It will see flour mixed in with black sand small enough that I gotta out the glasses on. Can't remember the price, but it was a pretty useful gift.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I am looking for something that small (probe?). I can see myself on my knees in a great acre area scanning 1" X 1". I am going to a shallow river and will be working in and around the banks and maybe in some small shallow water where there is some sand. Scanning with the MD 20? I don't plan on staying out there for 50 years to scan several acres. No offense.

I will be having to look into crevises, if there are any or I may have to dig some possible earth to see if there is any small traces of gold.

I was just wanting to know if anyone had experience with the Bounty Hunter picking up traces of gold

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ads are kind of deceptive. Appears you are just looking at as you say a 1X1 area. For working streams or washes I run the adjustment back to the wide & adjust the sensitivity up. I try to spot clumps of black or places with lead shot or just appear to look good without scooping digging and a ton of test pans. Works pretty good for me. I agree with you it looks as though it's really limited. I myself probably wouldn't have bought one, but since it was a gift figured I needed to at least use it a little so as not to offend. Surprised me it wasn't a toy as I perceived! And the coil will fit in cracks & between rocks where my "nugget coil" won't fit. Just threw out an idea for you. That's one of the things I like about TNet, theres always someone with a good idea or help for you. Hope you find a good solution! Let me know what you end up doing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions