Just Lucky I Guess

J.C.

Apr 30, 2012
Clarksville, Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4.5 inch 8 lb figure 1.jpg I guess you could say I am one of the luckiest guys in the world. About 60 years ago, 1952/53, while digging around in an old scrap iron yard I found a large round Cast Iron Ball. This ball weighed some 8 to 10 lbs and was a little larger than a softball. We kids used it like a Shot-Putt to see who could throw it the furtherist. It had what appeared to be a spot of Lead in it and I tried every way I could to pry that out of the ball, Drove screwdrivers and everything else into it trying to pry it out. No Luck? I don't think so, I now believe I was one of the luckiest kids on earth. One day after cleaning up the back lot we had a good fire going and the light over my head came on. Now, I know how to get the lead out. I pitched the thing up into the middle of the fire and went off and forgot about it for some 20 to 30 minutes when it woke me up. That thing went off throwing fire and debris all over the place and was heard all over the town of Clarksville, Arkansas, a town of some 4300 at that time. Pieces were found as far as 2 blocks from our house and were about 3/4 inch thick. I got to looking on the Internet yesterday after reading a story of a man recently killed while attempting to deactive a similar find, and now believe it may have been a 4 and half inch 8 lb Bormann Cannon Ball. Image Below Hopefully.
Any Help would be most appreciated,
J.C. Wheeler

Dougshause1

Feb 20, 2012
Virginia Beach,VA.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Welcome to Tnet J.C. and also nice to see your still alive.... Nice find. GL & HH...

OP
OP
J.C.

J.C.

Apr 30, 2012
Clarksville, Arkansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Welcome to Tnet J.C. and also nice to see your still alive.... Nice find. GL & HH...

Hello GL & HH and all Others. I did not intend the photo to represent what I found (I blew mine up in the fire), I intended to use it only as a close example of what I did find. J.C.

Dig Daddy

Apr 20, 2012
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see your still here to tell the tale. Welcome and Greetings from Annapolis, Maryland.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread