Just Moved

S

silvernickel

HI everyone, I currently live in Warrenton, Va and moved here from Minnesota about 18 months ago, I am looking for ideas for where to hunt around the area. There are a lot more restrictions down here then up north so i am having a hard time finding a spot and my detectors are getting dusty :). I love to coin shoot and use a Whites XLT, i also have a Whites water dector too that i used in swimming holes up north and had great luck getting rings out of these. If someone has some advice that would be great or would like to partner up with me that would be even better. I had some friends up north i detected with, but i can't seem to find anyone in my area that Metal Detects. Thanks everyone .

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Silver,

Welcome to Virginia and to Tnet. You're in an enviable place to detect for relics, if you can get permission. I'm sure you know by now that Culpeper county was the most marched upon soil of the Civil War - by both armies.

There is a VA group hunt coming up on Memorial Day weekend. It's down near Williamsburg. Check the postings in this forum. If you can make that one, you'll meet plenty of people and get all the info you need to get swinging again.

Good Luck,

DCMatt

P.S. I'm about an hour's drive north of you.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Virginia

Hi SilverNickel
Glad to hear that you decided to move to Dixie. I trust that our Southern Hospitality has had an inpact on you and yours. I live in Sterling which is just NW of DC. I have two TH'ing buddies that I search with currently but wanted to welcome you to T.N. This is one of the nicest websites that I have found and it seems that most of the folks that are here are willing to share and give advice. My favorite method to locate sites is to research an area then see who owns the property; go knock on their door and simply ask permission to search their land. If you explain what your reseach has shown you can sometimes get the owner interested in seeing if there really is anything in their ground. One of the best things you can do is if you get permission to search and find a few bullets give one to the owner. This has gotten me invited back to several places and after the first 'gift' the owners usually don't ask for anything else. I sometimes will carry a spare detector with me just as a tool to get the owner interested in joining in the search. I just love the look in the owner's eyes when they find something. I enjoy sharing the fun with the owner or their kids, I is fun for all. Let me know if you are interested in getting out for some TH'ing sometime. I normally TH on Saturday only with my two TH'ing buddies. I hope to hear back from you.
Thanks
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

2littlelukes

May 10, 2007
luray,virginia
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
welcome silver,
if your into detecting civil war relics you are in a hot zone...the hillside above the high school in warrenton was a major campsite for both confederate and union forces.... i found a union breast plate & Bayonette without even using my m/d lying in a rock wall about 8 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread