Just picked up a used White Prizim 3, need advice

Cranman

Dec 1, 2011
Central NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First of all I'm a total noob at detecting....

So I picked up the Prizm 3 at a pawn shop for $130. They also had a Prizm 4 that I could probably get for maybe another $100 or more, give or take. They are having a sale and I thought the Prizm 3 was agreat deal, but now that I have had time to read reviews I think maybe the Prizm 4 is a better deal.

I did use the Prizm 3 for about an hour and did find a few pennies in the driveway, but as I read in the reviews I did seem to get alot of erratic beeps and there was a hole or to where I never could find anything and gave up on the hole.

So I guess my question is: is the Prizm 3 worth keeping, or should I see if I can trade up to a Prizm 4 for another 100-150?

Upvote 0

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cranman said:
First of all I'm a total noob at detecting....

So I picked up the Prizm 3 at a pawn shop for $130. They also had a Prizm 4 that I could probably get for maybe another $100 or more, give or take. They are having a sale and I thought the Prizm 3 was agreat deal, but now that I have had time to read reviews I think maybe the Prizm 4 is a better deal.

I did use the Prizm 3 for about an hour and did find a few pennies in the driveway, but as I read in the reviews I did seem to get alot of erratic beeps and there was a hole or to where I never could find anything and gave up on the hole.

So I guess my question is: is the Prizm 3 worth keeping, or should I see if I can trade up to a Prizm 4 for another 100-150?

I have never used either one but I have read a lot of posts from people who really like them. Go on YouTube and look at the reviews and videos and that will help a lot. I would stick with the 3 and use it and if I really liked it I might consider upgrading. If you don't like it you probably won't like the 4 much better. Good luck either way...

DoomDrag

Dec 16, 2011
Mobile, Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
to me any new models are worth having cause they will most of the time be better then the older models. Also you could probably haggle them to drop the price if you come back not happy with the III. >:D

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya might test this out and get as much as you can out of it as you find reviews and try other friends MD models.
If it works ok, ys might keep it as a back up especially if you got it cheep as a good price.
I have read some expensive brands work the same as "Fair" called Md's
A lot also depends how deep you want to go. (Like the mecanic said, cost depends on how fast you want to go). Like I said: a guy on here said he had a $900.00 + minelab and he found a "Famous trails" Radio Shack and a lower cost Tesoro did not fair that much better and could easy have bought 2 good MD's for what he paid. For a good value the Garretts & the Tesoro have good models which for the price range are great by many oppinions. If you were retires with a lot of bread, you can spend over $5,000 for the GPX 5000 which is for the heavy hitters looking for nuggets and burried treasure as the one to get.
A sales rep from Arizona told me a couple of Mexican guys came into his store and asked if it will pick a beer can burried 2 feet deep? Not only did the GPX 5000 pick up the alum can under 2 feet deep, he held it a foot high in the air over the 2 feet target so it was picking up over 3 feet!
Keep testing with what you have and check the many youtube field tests, you can't go wrong doing your homework. The Field is my class room every time, no search is the same. Good luck friend.

OP
OP
C

Cranman

Dec 1, 2011
Central NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I am starting to see that practice and paying attention to what the detector signals and what I find will help me learn how to use it. Yesterday I detected a cabin that had initials and 1947 carved into a log on the side, and I found 4 coins but all were modern. I know kids and adults use this area in hunting and such. I only dug maybe 8 holes and ended up with 4 coins and a nail, a bottle cap and some can scraps. So I am getting a better feel for what to dig. But I generally have the discrimination turned all the way up to a penny, so zinc pennies, pull tabs, nickels, nails, bottle caps are excluded. I think as I get better I'll back the discrimination down. Thanks for the advice guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread