Just some tips

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
With the snow piling up and the temp droping (you know the saying about the brass monkey :laughing7:) :(. I just come here and see what all the fortunettes get to find. So I thought I'd give some of the newbies and others that didn't think of it some tips I use.
I use a belly pack with three sections. One for the good stuff like coin, rings and such, another for other things like screws washer and such, plus I have like napkins or paper towels in there to wrap the good coins with to protect them. For a probe I use a 2 foot piece of fiberglass fishing pole. That way I don't scratch anything. All those Walmart plastic bags laying around. Make good junk bags, I carry one on the strap of my belly bag, and on the other side for old home sites I use one of the new cloth bags you can buy for $1 to put your groceries in, I use them to put all the rusted big items in. You can also use them along with the plastic or not to put the scrap in. I couldn't afford knee pads, So I took one of our cold/hot bag put a 4" thick piece of foam rubber in it and one of those little surf board things for swimming pool I picked up at a yard sale for $.50 in it to kneel on. Quite comfort on these old knees.
For those places where your not near your vehicle. A backpack to carry those extras (batteries, headphones), something to eat like peanutbutter or cheese crackers, beef jerkey or slim jims or kippered beef (I like the bbq flavored or regular) or anything to your liking that won't spoil.
This is a few things I thought of, I'm sure others can add to this and all tips are welcome.
So everyone have a happy rest of the year whether your out detecting or not.

Joy to all
Knightwalker

Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
plehbah said:
I always like to stash a bottle in a dirt clod nearby.
;D plehbah thats funny bud! i havent drank in 5 years and im still finding stashes. :tard:willy

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. That's why this site is so good, everyone tries to help others. Very unselfish, best of luck in the coming year.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Your welcome everyone and everyone else that comments. I'm glad I could contribute. I like reading tips either from here or Lost Treasure, every little bit helps. I think that is why I did better this year than last.
Happy holiday to all and to all a very productive New Year.
Knightwalker

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is a lot of bags you carry around, did I count 3 bags you hook to your waist?
2 plastic bags ads one cloth bag?

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great tips, can you explain the fishing pole deal a little more and possibly a pic?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good advice KW. I always carry a lighter and matches especially this time of year when I hunt alone. That way you can build a fire for heat and a signal fire in the event of a sprained ankle or other emergencies. HH.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Goes4ever said:
wow that is a lot of bags you carry around, did I count 3 bags you hook to your waist?
2 plastic bags ads one cloth bag?
LOL.. Just two bags. One plastic and one cloth. hooked to the fanny pack belt. The plastic one I use for nails, wire. soda/beer cans(whole or pieces) and other metal junk. The cloth one I put the big metal stuff that won't fit in my fanny pack. Like the last time out I found a single axe head. Made it easier to carry in the bag then in my hands which I had detector in one and folding shovel in other.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
VOL1266-X said:
Good advice KW. I always carry a lighter and matches especially this time of year when I hunt alone. That way you can build a fire for heat and a signal fire in the event of a sprained ankle or other emergencies. HH.

"Signal fire"??? WHERE are you hunting anyway VOL ?? <grin> You must have been a Boy Scout in another lifetime. As for carrying a lighter.. hell just pick one up while hunting. I find them all too often, especially in tot lots and around the parks I frequent. hmmm.. wonder how conspicuous I would be if I lit a signal fire in the woodchips of a local playground.. you know.. if I sprain an ankle or something.. <snork> Sorry.. It really is good advice for anyone hunting in out of the way locals or deep in the woods or what have you. I'm not making fun of your advice, just poking a little fun at you.... but that's just me. You might add to your list of things to carry for an emergency, a whistle, some bandaids and some kind of antiseptic ointment (neosporin) and lastly, a bottle of water. We've all scratched, scraped or cut our hands or fingers at one time or another in the pursuit of this hobby. While I now feel downright naked without my "digging gloves", I will on occasion forgo said gloves for whatever reason, and I do get cut or scratched. A quick rinse with bottled water, a dab of ointment, and a bandaid.. and putting my gloves back on.. and I'm right back in the game. Of course, if you are hunting far afield or in the woods, the bandages, water and ointment could be used to doctor wounds from briar patches or rocks or wild animal attacks as well. <grin>

**ALSO** I've not seen anyone mention anything like carrying some pepper spray either. If you are hunting out in the woods and fields, many areas of the country you can find bears.. and closer to civilization than you might think too. While it should be used as a last case deffense, Pepper Spray could very well prevent or end a bear attack... or just piss him off that much more.

How's that for a happy thought?

~HAPPY HUNTING~ everyone!

Frodov

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. I also carry a multi compartment hip pouch, but I keep various size zip lock bags in it for individual good items found. I use an old steel brake adjustment tool for my probe tool. I like the two position head. I've almost lost it a couple of times when I forgot to pick it back up so I spray painted it neon orange.

rvrpilot

Jun 6, 2008
Thanks for the tips, I was out after the snow taking photos at the glades,should have contacted you to come by and see your finds,I'm back on the boat now headed up the Ohio river,currently just above Paducah,headed to Point Pleasant W.Va, maybe the weather will be better for hunting the next time I'm off. Rvrpilot

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
**ALSO** I've not seen anyone mention anything like carrying some pepper spray either. If you are hunting out in the woods and fields, many areas of the country you can find bears.. and closer to civilization than you might think too. While it should be used as a last case deffense, Pepper Spray could very well prevent or end a bear attack... or just piss him off that much more.

Frodov

Gonna get them PETA folks riled up at you. ;D

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
GopherDaGold said:
Frodov said:

Frodov

Gonna get them PETA folks riled up at you. ;D

Bread makers riled up at me?.. over Pepper Spray? Oh oh ohhhhh.. P E T A.. not Pita.. my mistake.. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just carry a gun most of the time when I detect. PETA Shmeeda. I love animals, they're quite tasty.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
rvrpilot said:
Thanks for the tips, I was out after the snow taking photos at the glades,should have contacted you to come by and see your finds,I'm back on the boat now headed up the Ohio river,currently just above Paducah,headed to Point Pleasant W.Va, maybe the weather will be better for hunting the next time I'm off. Rvrpilot
Your welcome TW. Yea you should of contacted me. I know the glades really well. Just down the road apiece.
You'll have to post your pics. I Would like to see them.
Happy Hollidays.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread