Just starting out

A

another _novice

This is my first message, but I've been reading the forum for a while trying to get some ideas. I think I'm going to get an Garrett Ace 250 based on what I've read here, and on what I want to do, and I appreciate the advice in all the posts and the enthusiasm for the hobby.

I have to say though that although a lot of the people here just seem to be out to have some fun, I'm really surprised by the number of posts that talk about searching "abandoned" property, like this:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,7159.msg42806/topicseen.html#msg42806

One of the things I wanted to do with a metal detector was to go out to some property my family owns and search around for things we kids lost or even buried when we played there as we grew up. Realistically, I'd find some coins, probably some old toys or parts of them, etc. I guess I can't help but think of that when I read posts about searching old "homesteads" - which the posters obviously do not own. I wonder how many of the "finds" on these homesteads deny others a piece of their family history.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
F

Floater

Well it sounds like the research you have done is good and the Ace is a good machine. As far as the thought about denying someone there past who would that be? If your family sold the property and it belongs to someone else then If they find stuff its there's. If you go to someone and ask permission to hunt on there property and they say yes then are you denying them of anything?. Even if you did dig up a toy that one of there children played with you may want to give it to them and it may bring back a nice memory for them but then they might just say keep it. The whole question of who does it belong to has been answered a thousand time. It belongs to the person that found it. If you don't find it someone else will. If a family is so concerned about there past lost treasures then they would do something about it. Don't feel bad and don't get condescending to those that do hunt other property. Everything you find someone has lost. No matter where it is. We just happen to have some technology that allows us to find it and we enjoy doing it.I don't go out with any malice in my heart and say today I'm going to deprive someone of there past. Who knows I may find something and it will bring back a wonderfull memory to someone even if it wasn't theres. Go out and enjoy this hobby. You may get rich doing it and you may not. The one thing you will do though is enjoy it and become fascinated by every thing you find. From a stupid little piece of brass that came off a hose to the 1900 silver coin you might find. It,s all out there for the taking. Also read up on the Spanish treasure fleets and let me know who you think owns that and if they should even be touched. I would like to here your answer. good luck and enjoy yourself. Don't over analyze and keep it light. Life is too short. HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
There is a thing called Ethics-I can't answer for everyone but 99% go by them. I think I see where you're going with this and as such, your question is welcome. We aren't poachers-we try very, very hard to find the owner and ask permission. The term abandoned usually refers to a piece of property that is not in use living wise. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I think the Ace 250 is a very good machine to start out on. As you get experience with it and read, I think you'll learn just how much fun and interesting it can be. HH

OP
OP
A

another _novice

Thanks for the responses. Our family owns the property - no one lives there. I guess I don't see that anyone has the right to search there withour permission.

We post it, and the signs are torn down like the next day; so when people look at it, it seems abandoned. But it's not.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
another _novice said:
Thanks for the responses.? Our family owns the property - no one lives there. I guess I don't see that anyone has the right to search there withour permission.

We post it, and the signs are torn down like the next day; so when people look at it, it seems abandoned. But it's not.
You are quite correct. There is no excuse for that type of behavior MD wise or otherwise. Hope to see your posts and pics. BTW, Welcome to the forum. Stoney

F

Floater

Very good point also Stoney, I assume some time that all would ask permission. I personally would not feel comfortable doing it without permission. Sometimes if you are on state land it can cross over to private but that is another issue altogether. Abandoned Property as far as I'm concerned belongs to the state or local or county. I will hunt it until told not too. I will hunt parks or any other publicly held land also until told to stop.I will not hunt land I know is private or that is posted. I assume also that all land is private until i research it.I think everyone here pretty much agrees with this. as far as hunting an old abandoned burned out house on land that is being harvested for lumber I would think you would ask the lumber company. If its public land and the lumber company has right to lumber only then I wouldn't bother.HH
Ps We own property and stoped putting up signs a long time ago. If we catch someone on it we ask them to leave. I actually would not mind an Mder on it though. I just dont want the kids starting fires or hunters taking shots out of season. When we had the signs all that happened was it turned into target practice. No signs no target practice.

OP
OP
A

another _novice

I think a lot depends just upon asking. I know that we let people hunt on the land if they ask, although it is hard for people to ask if the signs with the phone number are ripped down. I would also just ask someone to leave if they were there without permission.

I guess I just wanted to let people know that places are not always really abandoned.

Anyway, thatnks. I'll report back when I get the machine.

F

Floater

sounds Good Novice. I think you are going to enjoy this a lot more than you know. It is hard to find people and ask permission but you have to do it. You want to concentrate on your machine. Not looking out for the police or some irate owner. Keep us posted and welcome to the forum,.HH

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here we go......Pick on me why dont you ::)

Just because the title of my post says "Night hunt".......I guess you assume I was there without permission. Wrong........I've got permission. A paper company out of Fla. owns the land and could care less what is dug up on the land.......as long as its not the new seedlings they have planted. ;D

Also notice the date I posted about the night hunt........Feb 16th. When you work 12-14 hrs a day.....go in when its dark....get off when its dark.....you dont have a choice of hunting in the daylight.

They logged the land off and I saw the chimney......went to my countys tax webpage and found out who owned it. They said look all you want.......just dont mess with the saplings. And........they didnt doze the site. So now that its Daylight savings time and its still light out when I get off......Im gonna hunt it hard. Theres got to be more goodies in there.

Also.......search my post for the 1887 silver Franc I found at another abandoned house. None of my buddies had the nerve to ask permission. I did and got it.......also got the silver. ;D

No hard feelings.......Just hacking on ya. ;D

Welcome to the forum and hobby. You'll like the 250.

TOWcritter

Welcome to the forum. Here's a little hint: Take a small extension ladder and post your signs up in the trees where the average jerk can't reach them. 50 cents for a good weatherproof sign X how many times torn down = ? Make 'em work if they want to be vandals. And since you own the property you can really take your time when you get your detector. I'm sure you'll find all sorts of goodies that will bring back some childhood memories. Good Luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
A

another _novice

Thanks again for the welcomes - the ladder idea makes sense. When I get the machine, I'll post some results, successful or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread