wearing metal while detecting

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was detecting and my hubby was waiting, we were getting hits with nothing, even with pinpointing. Anyhow, bottom line...he made me take off my tennies with metal eyelets and my jacket with the snaps (even tho they were far enough away...I think it was his making it go off (LOL)). And everytime I bent over with the machine on the ground my cross necklace would make it go off. I told him next we would have to dig out our fillings....

Does everyone else shed the metals?

Upvote 0
Don't feel bad, I scanned handfuls of dirt my hubby was holding a dozen time before realizing I was dinging on his wedding band!!

vicki

i usually have no problem with wearing metal or using metal trowels while detecting. I find a target, then I cut my plug, then i scan to see if the item is in the plug or the hole. Then i dig all loose dirt onto a drop cloth and keep doing so until the target is in the cloth. I then use my BULLSEYE pinpointer to zero in on the target in question. I never use my hands to scan dirt past the coil. SO over all, wearing or using metal is no issue for me while detecting. My advise, get a pinpointer probe and use a drop cloth

Only time I don't wear any type of jewlery, or metal objects is when I am gold detecting. Then I use plastic pin point my target. Normal MDin, I wear my wedding ring but follow michinkae method of detecting. Works for me.

It doesn't seem to effect my dfx, shoe eylets, etc., but after you pin point & kneel down to dig, you have to be concious of where your digger is when you rescan the hole. I always move my wedding ring & watch to my ritht hand when I am detectiong because I often take one handful of dirt at a time & swing it over the loop. This method works well in conjunction with your pin pointer. Your cross neckless may need to stay in the car though. Good luck. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back