Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with Mel, We had another long converstation.

Gayles surgery did not go as well as expected, they could not find the kidney stones, then the doctor came and told Mel they had torn the euritha (don't know how close my spelling is), so now they have 3 options 1. To try and repair the tear, they believe it happened from long term wear of the stone or she passed it and it tore this doctor has never seen this before. 2. To rerout the kidney to the eurthia on the other side. 3. Which is the most involved surgery, not doing a real transplant, but a transplant team would lower the kidney which is what they do during a transplant. The 1st and 3rd are the best the 2nd is pretty much really the last choice, they (mel) is leaning toward 3, it is more involved but, would really be the best.
He's going back to the hospital in a few hours will keep someone updated.said thank you for the support and prayers! He will be back on line when he can.

Again Thank-You To All !
Mel

Ps They are not going to worry about the gall stones for right now, and they said if a stone had entered the stomach it could stay there without any problems.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ultra sound type equiptment can bust up kidney stones making them easier to pass ( could work on gall stones possibly) -- after she gets out -- tell her cranberry juice is a big time natural "stone" dissolver so use it and NO purine foods-- ( foods high in uric acid ) which is what causes "gout" and "makes" stones in the first place -- Ivan

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sounds like this is major stuff. My heart is with you, Mel. Thanks for sharing, Evy. Is this involving just one kidney? If so, that's a blessing, as long as the other one is operational. She has been through so much. My heart goes out to her. Keep us informed. -Noodle

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Noodle said:
Sounds like this is major stuff. My heart is with you, Mel. Thanks for sharing, Evy. Is this involving just one kidney? If so, that's a blessing, as long as the other one is operational. She has been through so much. My heart goes out to her. Keep us informed. -Noodle

Noodle, this is what I read at the CTH. It is from the PM Mel gave me permission to make public.

Hey, Guys,

Just wanted to pass this on to you:

Well, Wednesday's (Oct. 3rd) surgery was put off until Thursday(Oct. 4th)....doctor scheduling conflict. Thursday's surgery happened. They were able to remove the tube in her back from her kidney and put in a stint to from her left kidney to her bladder. They tried to reach the kidney stones, but they were too high up and the ureter was swollen too tight over the stones. There are 2 of them, large ones, fitting together like a puzzle...very tightly wedged together. They decided to terminate the procedure, and later she was released to go home...or actually back to Gayle's sister's house. Gayle is staying there because it is close to the hospital should anything bad happen.

They have rescheduled the procedure to this coming Tues...Oct 9th at 1 PM...in hopes that the stint will have allowed the ureter to heal/open more. If they find out Tues that it's still a "no go", they will probably postpose for another week or two. Although Gayle is taking it in good stride, she is becoming more and more depressed over all of the delays. They stint causes her to feel like "someone has punched me in the stomach".

Pls keep her in your prayers.

---Mel

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey ALL....thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers. After Gayle was released from the hospital for the 999th time, she went to live with her sister who lives close to the hospital......just in case they had to get her to the hospital quickly. After a few weeks, she finally came home/home to rest up. Since then, we have been going back and forth for tons of doctor appointments and tests.

At this point, basically the doctors are waiting 6-8 weeks to see whether or not the ureter tear will heal........and if it does, whether it will heal so that they can eventually go back in and zap the kidney stones. Right now she has a big stint from her left kidney to her bladder...........and of course, the stint has been causing her a lot of pain.

Until the doctors make the decision to go back in....she will have to live with the stint...and the kidney stones.

If the ureter doesn't heal..................well, major surgery to have to take place.

In the meantime, she's fightsty as normal...........doesn't like the fact that I'm making her stick to her medical diet. I told her...it could be worse................I could hire MasterEagle to move in and take over..........................OH LORDY!!!!!! :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Take care and keep the prayers coming.........she's not out of the woods by a long shot.
----Mel

borninok

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
ME? Oh no not that!!! :o
I heard he has applied for a patent on his Digger 1000 to be used as a medical instrument! ;D

AND there are a few of us with certificates that are certified to use one!!!!!! :o

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
MasterEagle...you missed the whole concept........................we hire your wife to take care of Gayle.....and you, Baldingboy, and I would take off metal detecting! LOL
---Mel

borninok

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
borninok said:
MasterEagle...you missed the whole concept........................we hire your wife to take care of Gayle.....and you, Baldingboy, and I would take off metal detecting! LOL
---Mel

borninok

That is a most excellent plan and I can get you a good rate on her nursing services since she is NOWHERE near the quality of nurse that I am (course I got 10 years experience on her that may be why). ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread