Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
As some of you know I had my Tesoro Silver uMax with 12x10 coil for sale.

I mentioned I'd like to get the Explorer XS because it's the one Explorer I haven't had a chance to use yet. I get a kick out of trying different detectors.

Anyway, I was contacted and made a trade deal for a very nice Explorer XS.

The owner is a very respected person in this hobby. The XS comes with stock coil and a 6 inch DD coil plus everything else that came with it new. It looks nearly mint.

I'm very happy! :thumbsup:

Now the learning curve begins! :coffee2:

Badger

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright MB...will be looking for some grand finds in the near future...Sure you will have it down pat in no time.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats to you Badger.. let us know how ya make out with it.. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SC_hunter said:
Alright MB...will be looking for some grand finds in the near future...Sure you will have it down pat in no time.

Thanks SC_hunter,

By the way, my son is a Michigan State Trooper.

HH :thumbsup:

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Bootybay said:
congrats to you Badger.. let us know how ya make out with it.. :thumbsup:

Thanks much!

Now I've got to go back to all my old sites and get the silver!

You know what they say about Explorers ;D

Badger

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB, pass along the best from a southern brother....and tell him most of all stay safe and be sure he is the one that comes home after every shift...

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SC_hunter said:
MB, pass along the best from a southern brother....and tell him most of all stay safe and be sure he is the one that comes home after every shift...

I sure will. Lots of folks have no idea what you guys have to face.

I know I couldn't handle the stuff my son has to deal with.

Badger

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it's the perfect unit! (with a few upgrades that is)

6" DD?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:

6" DD?

He says it has the latest upgrade for the XS.

"I have upgraded to the SE Pro and selling my XS with two coils, the stock and the Excelerator 6" DD, both with coil covers. The stock coil has average use, slight scratches on the coil, most on the cover. The Excelerator 6" is like new. This is the last version of the XS with the updated software. Included is everything pictured including two lower arms and the upper arm is drilled for the SunRay X-1, ready to install. Also included is the SunRay 1/4" headphone adaptor/stand and an after-market arm cup, as well as the originals. Original box, owners manual, Vanco headphones and Andy Sabisch book, Mastering the Minelab Explorer XS and S and lots of tip sheets from the Internet. The rechargeable battery is in perfect condition and comes with two chargers. Alkaline battery pack also included."

Attachments

• addon.jpg
    addon.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 321

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Iron Patch said:

6" DD?

He says it has the latest upgrade for the XS.

"I have upgraded to the SE Pro and selling my XS with two coils, the stock and the Excelerator 6" DD, both with coil covers. The stock coil has average use, slight scratches on the coil, most on the cover. The Excelerator 6" is like new. This is the last version of the XS with the updated software. Included is everything pictured including two lower arms and the upper arm is drilled for the SunRay X-1, ready to install. Also included is the SunRay 1/4" headphone adaptor/stand and an after-market arm cup, as well as the originals. Original box, owners manual, Vanco headphones and Andy Sabisch book, Mastering the Minelab Explorer XS and S and lots of tip sheets from the Internet. The rechargeable battery is in perfect condition and comes with two chargers. Alkaline battery pack also included."

Price?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
He wanted $345 plus my Silver uMax.
Very good price Badger...Now get a Compass Scanner and you will sell that XS ......For what you got that for Badger you might want to keep it as a back up to your Compass.............==Jim== keppy

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
Michigan Badger said:
Very good price Badger...Now get a Compass Scanner and you will sell that XS ......For what you got that for Badger you might want to keep it as a back up to your Compass.............==Jim== keppy

What do those Compass jobs cost these days?

I need to get one if for no other reason than the fact that I haven't owned any Compass machine ever.

Back years ago I saw their ads but they just never appealed to me then. Now I discover they were some of the best machines of the day.

Back in the 80's nobody I knew owned one.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
Keppy said:
Michigan Badger said:

I need to get one if for no other reason than the fact that I haven't owned any Compass machine ever.

Back years ago I saw their ads but they just never appealed to me then. Now I discover they were some of the best machines of the day.

Badger
I have seen the scanners go for any were from $300.00 up to $550.00 ......and some of the other ones for around $100.00 to $200.00..............Joe just went in to Garys Compass fourm and put in he wanted one and i think he had one in a few days ...................But that XS you got had a lot of Extras and a good price i would keep it unless you are not going to use it then you can make some money with that one..Unless you are like me i sold most of mine i can only use one at a time i have the Compass coming and my Sovereign..........................................Jim

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:

Badger
I have seen the scanners go for any were from $300.00 up to $550.00 ......and some of the other ones for around $100.00 to $200.00..............Joe just went in to Garys Compass fourm and put in he wanted one and i think he had one in a few days ...............................................................................Jim
[/quote]

Thanks Jim,

Clue me in on these...are they still making these or are they all older machines? Somebody told me Compass is still in business.

I'm wondering why they didn't do well financially if they made such a great detector? Maybe like me people just didn't buy their machines?

Almost every day there's a Compass of some sort on ebay. I've often wondered about those old models.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Badger....All these detectors are the older ones..They keep talking about Compass starting back up but no one can find out any thing about it ..........and people have been trying hard to get information on Compass but as now no one has any information on Compass.........Keith Wills of East Texas metal detectors has parts for them and repaires them....... www.brokendetector.com That is all i know Badger.............==Jim==

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
Badger....All these detectors are the older ones..They keep talking about Compass starting back up but no one can find out any thing about it ..........and people have been trying hard to get information on Compass but as now no one has any information on Compass.........Keith Wills of East Texas metal detectors has parts for them and repaires them....... www.brokendetector.com That is all i know Badger.............==Jim==

Okay, thanks Jim. This is what I had gathered from some reading online but I wasn't sure. Like you say things are sort of confusing when it comes to the future for this brand.

I think all of us are looking for that extra edge or advantage for coinshooting. Some machine that almost like magic finds loads of old silver and gold rings.

Like I've posted many times I find all the top machines today to be good. Some may do this or that a little better, but all find the stuff if I swing the coil over it and it's there to be found.

Depth wise even some of our lost cost VLF's today can get fabulous depth. I wish I could of had some of the guys here with me when I dug some items with that Silver uMax and 12x10 concentric coil. One brass button was over the top of my full-sized shovel. The dime-sized button was dead-center the hole and the only target there. That little rig with that big coil would kill at CW relic sites. That Tesoro 12x10 concentric is the best kept secret today.

I'm wondering how many other detectors and/or coils made in the past and today that were (or are) underrated?

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ricardo_NY1 said:
The XS is a good machine Badger. You'll like it.

Thanks and I'm sure I will.

I've been exposed to Minelab already (Ex.II and GT) so now I'm ready to really settle down and learn a Minelab.

I think when one first uses a Minelab after using those older design machines, one can easily become discouraged and give up. Minelabs are so different from the general run of machines.

Believe it or not I was one of several who got this Minelab thing going here on TNet in the first place. There were Minelab users before me of course. But until Floater, Me, and another fellow also gone now, got our Minelab Excalibur's, you really heard very few positive comments about any Minelab here.

I got so harassed for using Minelab that I came up with "Minelabs are for thinking people." This didn't win any popularity contests for me here ;D

As I recall Sandman predated us and a few others here. But the sentiment toward Minelabs (any model) wasn't all that hot.

I had a different account and user name back in those days. My user name was "Minelab." I canceled that account when I had about 2000 posts. LOL! So, you can see I've sort of been around the block.

Floater and Rod (I think that was his handle) are both gone now :'( All 3 of us bought our Excaliburs from KellyCo at the same time. We all got a free detector with the Excal. due to KellyCo's pledge to meet all competition.

But in spite of all this I never really applied myself to understand my Explorer II. I did however learn the GT pretty well and did very well with it.

Sorry to ramble on.

Badger

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I did read your earlier posts about the Explorer II. Both machines are basically the same in my opinion, with the exception of the slight cosmetic differences and extra set of VDI numbers. I now have both. I do know one thing.........for silver coins, the Explorer is a monster hound. If it's there, chances are the machine will see them and you will dig them. The Explorer demands two things.........learn it so you can find silver, and keep learning it so you can find even more. Months ago I had it down to where I could bring out two or three coins. I kid you not that these days it seems as though I do not leave a park without a minimum of five. The point is not to brag, but to point out that this machine you can learn and find stuff, or you can keep learning it to the point where every two months you look back and know that you know more on any given day then you did those months ago. You'll learn it a little bit more each and every time you go out there. I'd say I have it about 60%........after almost a year. I haven't actually flexed its real muscle. Especially the sens levels, etc, etc. Haven't even upped the variablity or become familiar with any sound mode except normal. Audio 1 is supposed to be the prime choice for serious detecting with that machine. And I'm not doing too bad! Good luck with this new learning experience Badger!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions