Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wanted to vent, because I am not very happy right now. We hired some tree removers to remove a couple large, semi-dead pines, that we were scared might land on our shed, house, barn, or livestock. Anyways, they were not supposed to come until Thursday, but came today, which was fine. Anyways, they said on Thursday they were going to bring the crane to remove the monster pine that is just ten feet away from our house. Anyways, I heard a big crash and crack half an hour ago, looked out and saw a tree crash right on top of our late 19th century shed that we were going to restore. I am extremely angry right now, but tried to stay polite to them, they are calling their boss over to assess the situation in half an hour. The hole roof has a two foot wide gash, and the wall in the right corner has it too. I will post photos soon.

Here is a photo of the shed that I took before we bought the house (old owner's stuff is outside the shed), we were planning on doing a restoration to make it more stable, it had a very good frame. All the nails I could find in it were square nails.
IMG_20170518_184802.jpg

I am not sure if I want them to remove any trees around my priceless historic chestnut gun stalk post barn. Or my new house, which I am very proud of, which has lasted 270 years, and I am not sure can still withstand a tree landing on it.
IMG_20170518_190730.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Sorry to hear about the damage. Hang in there, and keep us posted on the outcome! :occasion14:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like the workers skipped a corner somewhere.... dropping trees around houses is no joke.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinman, sorry to hear about the damage caused by careless/incompetent workers. I would certainly be hesitant of them dropping any more trees near any structure. I take it they are insured and bonded? Even if so, they don't make'em like they used to...I hate to see things like that destroyed carelessly that have been around for two and a half centuries...Good luck, keep us posted...Ddf

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The entire purpose of hiring a professional who is licensed bonded and insured is for such mess ups.
I would fully expect them to restore the building to the condition it was in before they hit it even if they were not. (Though I would not hire uncovered outfits).
As far as further work by them? Hey ,once bit ,twice shy.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First...
who did you hire to cut the tree's ?.. the three stooges ?

I don't blame ya for being pissed... I would be pissed as well for it seems avoidable... now a headache from hell.

Second...

These buildings are SUPER COOL.

Third... So I cant help to wonder what the house "story" is... age etc.

Not to mention property history in general.

Anyway... too cool.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome buildings! Jeeze, 200+ years & mother nature didn't take em down & a few monkeys can in one fell swoop..... Hope you are already on the phone with the tree crews insurance co.!

Hope it works out for you! Would be very interested in seeing pics when you get em restored!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The shed is almost cut in half (ok, maybe not that bad), they said that the tree cut in half when they were cutting it, and swerved into the shed. I still really wanted to keep it, loving the cool look to it, but everyone else wants to accept his offer of tearing it down for free. I guess I will have to face reality and handle the lose. He is also offering $500 if we decided not to take it down (which seems like a small amount, but it would cost $2000 to remove the shed). I was polite to him while talking, and then left to go on a hike on some nice trails nearby, where I found a cellar hole and a ton of stone walls. Photos coming soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Third... So I cant help to wonder what the house "story" is... age etc.

Not to mention property history in general.

Anyway... too cool.

I was able to find out the history after a long time of digging through deeds and documents. My town was settled in the mid 1730's, and in 1740 the man who built my house moved to the town. He settled in the center of town at first, then moved to the northeast corner, to lot 70 in around 1744. According to documents, he built a homestead (which was still an active farm in 1880, according to a book written then), and started a family. He was also a Lieutenant in the French and Indian War, head of the town's division of the militia, and laid down most of the roads also building some of the meeting houses in the town. The deeds go back to the late 1760's, and in 1779 there is one where he gives our house to his son, in 1817 he gave it to his son. In 1844 a sawmill owner got it, and stays there until he dies in the 1870's, and his heirs lived there until around 1900. To confirm my research, I dug around for an old plat map of the town, and found the proprietor's map from the 1740's, with the name of the man who built my house on lot 70. Some documents from the late 1800's refer also to it as Abel's or Joseph's old farm (Joseph was the man who built the house, and Abel was his son). There is also a map from the 1850's with the name of the man who lived there then. It's very cool to live in a house with such a long and interesting history. Luckily the shed wasn't quite as old as the house or barn, I estimate the shed was built sometime between 1880 and 1920.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd talk to a lawyer and see if he can recover damages.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The damage on shed
DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0070.JPG DSC_0072.JPG
House with the glacier rock visible in photo.
DSC_0076.JPG
The barn
CSC_0024.JPG
The house
DSC_0063.JPG
The Monster Pine, leaning toward the house, and yes the camera was completely straight when I took the photo.
DSC_0082.JPG

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Yikes! That leaner would make me nervous!! That pic of your shed is sickening. How do you replace that? Sorry for your situation. I will donate a few hundred square nails for your rehab. Good Luck brother:icon_thumright:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get calls all the time to do this but im not going to ,i sure hope they are insured . accidents do happen but thats a real shame.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I will donate a few hundred square nails for your rehab. Good Luck brother:icon_thumright:

I have enough to build a mansion at this point :laughing7:, just have to get 200 years of rust off from being underground.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Coinman123,

So sorry to see the damage on that beautiful old shed! IMHO, I would make them (legally) restore it to its original (before tree) condition, then you could complete the restoration project in time. From the photos it looks like it can be repaired but, your in person to see the severity of the actual damage and can make a better determination of its future.

Regards,

Doc

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, they did a number on that shed. So their proposed remedy to their mistake is to tear it down for free? Still leaves you with a loss, would not be acceptable to me. I'd also be pissed if I had to pay for their 'tree work' after that.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have them do an insurance claim or just pay you cash and use the $$ to have it restored/ repaired

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was removing some antique hardware and noticed that the shed was in far worse condition, from before the tree fell on it, than I though before. I was taking out the old window on top and noticed a stack antique windows in the loft. When I removed them I saw a ton of mice run away. I looked at the roof and saw multiple holes and rot, and the loft is completely rotted so badly from water falling through the holes in the roof that you can put your finger through it. The clapboards feel like sponges, and the wood behind it is slightly rotted. The right wall is also slightly leaning away from the shed, and can be seen slightly in my first photo of the shed in my original post. At least it wasn't in pristine condition when they did that. I also found another small piece of tree damage that broke some of the beams. I did manage to recover some nice hardware though.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Your ridgepole and top plate are damaged. That is NOT an easy fix. It might not have been much of a shed BEFORE they had an accident, but $500.00 wont repair it and I doubt it would "patch" it. I'd hold out for a replacement. When you talk to the tree trimmers insurance co., be sure to mention "actual and punitive" damages. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread