Just wanted to share with you a very rare button one of my buddies found ...

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• GWBUTTON.jpg
    GWBUTTON.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,102
  • GWBUTTONBACK.jpg
    GWBUTTONBACK.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 3

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it's probably more accurately described as very rare than very scarce. And condition too!

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Use some lead weights to keep yourselves from floating up to the roof!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Simply incredible, awesome button and great choice on pro cleaning.

~~Happy Hunting~~

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
we'll have to take a good look at that one right here......banner material, too bad your buddy isn't a member

no kidding, eye-popper for sure, I've never seen that one, must be rare

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice one, I believe one of our members, who does not post often here but is a member, found the same button variety in Ohio, perhaps 6-8 years ago, I used to have a photograph of it, it was heavily silverplated and just in super shape. If he reads this post perhaps he could post the photo of it. I am fairly certain it was the same variety WI-15, which now would be most likely Very Scarce with more being found since Albert's book was written.

Don

ADDED: Found the photo on this forum of the other WI-15 button that was found in Ohio by one of our members. It is his Avatar photo :icon_thumright:

Attachments

49.4 KB · Views: 1,284

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
creskol said:
.. while we were digging a spot on November 14. Just had it professionally cleaned and it is an eye-popper!
It is a very scarce silver plated George Washington Inaugural Button in pristine condition.

That's a gorgeous button!..congrats to your friend.

B.H.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one out there for me....somewhere!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
That is a nice one, I believe one of our members, who does not post often here but is a member, found the same button variety in Ohio, perhaps 6-8 years ago, I used to have a photograph of it, it was heavily silverplated and just in super shape. If he reads this post perhaps he could post the photo of it. I am fairly certain it was the same variety WI-15, which now would be most likely Very Scarce with more being found since Albert's book was written.

Don

ADDED: Found the photo on this forum of the other WI-15 button that was found in Ohio by one of our members. It is his Avatar photo :icon_thumright:

Isn't "Very Scarce" in coin terms something like 200-300 known? I guess it must be different for buttons?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Isn't "Very Scarce" in coin terms something like 200-300 known? I guess it must be different for buttons?

There really is no official scale for buttons that I have ever found, but Albert's has a Scale of Rarity for GW buttons as as rarity scales go for coins, here is the best I can figure out for naming rarity for his scale.

R 7 Unique 1 or possibly 2 known
R 6 3-5
R 5 6-10
R 4 11-25
R 3 26-50
R2 51-75
R1 More than 75

Now we are talking about rarity of GW buttons here and therefore one could say the following for the numbers

R7 Unique (Cru loves that term useage)
R6 Very Rare
R5 Rare
R4 Very Scarce
R3 Scarce
R2 Common
R1 Very Common
Again, this is for rarity of GW buttons only, Page 382 Albert's Bicententenial Edition 1976. (in general ANY GW button is a "rare" find as far as all of us are concerned)

Back in 1976 the WI-15 button was listed as a R5, which with additional buttons being found by detectorists since 1976, has most likely moved it to a R4 rarity..........

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

There really is no official scale for buttons that I have ever found, but Albert's has a Scale of Rarity for GW buttons as as rarity scales go for coins, here is the best I can figure out for naming rarity for his scale.

R 7 Unique 1 or possibly 2 known
R 6 3-5
R 5 6-10
R 4 11-25
R 3 26-50
R2 51-75
R1 More than 75

Now we are talking about rarity of GW buttons here and therefore one could say the following for the numbers

R7 Unique (Cru loves that term useage)
R6 Very Rare
R5 Rare
R4 Very Scarce
R3 Scarce
R2 Common
R1 Very Common
Again, this is for rarity of GW buttons only, Page 382 Albert's Becententenial Edition 1976. (in general ANY GW button is a "rare" find as far as all of us are concerned)

Back in 1976 the WI-15 button was listed as a R5, which with additional buttons being found by detectorists since 1976, has most likely moved it to a R4 rarity..........

Don

Well maybe that's why buttons aren't worth anything close to coins for the same rarity.... because relic guys mucked up the scale! ;D It probably wouldn't be very smart of me to argue with what Albert says, but I just don't feel right calling a rare button scarce.

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...congrats to your buddy...and thanks for sharing it with us!

~Indiana Digger~

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well maybe that's why buttons aren't worth anything close to coins for the same rarity.... because relic guys mucked up the scale! It probably wouldn't be very smart of me to argue with what Albert says, but I just don't feel right calling a rare button scarce. (IP)

Albert assigned rarity so collectors could help determine the value, yes, a GW button being called scarce or even "common" :o but again it is in relation to the GW buttons themselves for determining value.

On the other hand, look how people call a 1916D Mercury Dime, rare or very rare.. only 264,000 minted. :wink:

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Well maybe that's why buttons aren't worth anything close to coins for the same rarity.... because relic guys mucked up the scale! It probably wouldn't be very smart of me to argue with what Albert says, but I just don't feel right calling a rare button scarce. (IP)

Albert assigned rarity so collectors could help determine the value, yes, a GW button being called scarce or even "common" :o but again it is in relation to the GW buttons themselves for determining value.

On the other hand, look how people call a 1916D Mercury Dime, rare or very rare.. only 264,000 minted. :wink:

Don

Yes, they must be the smart ones because a good dime is worth as much as that button!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scarce or Rare Rob she's still a beauty,tell your buddy Congrat's for me and thank's for sharing this.Awesome find :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet button. And the first I have seen posted of that type. And great info Don. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions