Just wanted to share with you a very rare button one of my buddies found ...

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• GWBUTTON.jpg
    GWBUTTON.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • GWBUTTONBACK.jpg
    GWBUTTONBACK.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,085
Upvote 3
Awesome button. If you had found it I believe it would be on banner.
Tell your friend congrats
Dman

I don't know a thing about buttons, but anybody would like that one not even knowing what it was.

It's one beauty!

Rob, that is a magnificient Button! I'd love to find one like that around here one day! VERY NICE and CONGRATS to your friend!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Hey Rob cant beleve you put barry on that GW ??? wow unreal that close to home too first one ive seen from local just amazing congrats and good film footage too!

scarce! rare! whatever! i know more and more are been found so these things change around. since i found my 1877 indian last year ive seen 4or5 posted just like the 1916 merc dimes. the more we dig the more the value goes down. :dontknow: willy

dfx willy said:
scarce! rare! whatever! i know more and more are been found so these things change around. since i found my 1877 indian last year ive seen 4or5 posted just like the 1916 merc dimes. the more we dig the more the value goes down. :dontknow: willy

Scarce! rare! value! whatever! .. One would be foolish to minimize the thrill and significance of such a great find by arguing semantics! No matter whether it is scarce, rare, or as valuable today as it might have been 30 years ago, it is probably a once-in-a-lifetime find of historical significance.

Definition of SCARCE
: not plentiful or abundant
Definition of RARE: seldom occurring or found, uncommon
Definition of VALUABLE: having monetary value, worth a good price

I would say that this button certainly meets all the qualifications above!

Don in SJ said:
That is a nice one, I believe one of our members, who does not post often here but is a member, found the same button variety in Ohio, perhaps 6-8 years ago, I used to have a photograph of it, it was heavily silverplated and just in super shape. If he reads this post perhaps he could post the photo of it. I am fairly certain it was the same variety WI-15, which now would be most likely Very Scarce with more being found since Albert's book was written.

Don

ADDED: Found the photo on this forum of the other WI-15 button that was found in Ohio by one of our members. It is his Avatar photo :icon_thumright:

That is a great looking button there! The one I found in Ohio at an old Indian fort site in 2003 is what you asked about. It's rarity is a lot more than R-4 or R-5 as that included non-silver plated ones as well as silver-plated ones. There are more non-plated ones out there and I've only run across one other silver-plated one in all these years.

Truly a great find!!! HH, Mike.

Attachments

• octripbutton.jpg
    octripbutton.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 449
Mike Moutray said:
Don in SJ said:
That is a nice one, I believe one of our members, who does not post often here but is a member, found the same button variety in Ohio, perhaps 6-8 years ago, I used to have a photograph of it, it was heavily silverplated and just in super shape. If he reads this post perhaps he could post the photo of it. I am fairly certain it was the same variety WI-15, which now would be most likely Very Scarce with more being found since Albert's book was written.

Don

ADDED: Found the photo on this forum of the other WI-15 button that was found in Ohio by one of our members. It is his Avatar photo :icon_thumright:

That is a great looking button there! The one I found in Ohio at an old Indian fort site in 2003 is what you asked about. It's rarity is a lot more than R-4 or R-5 as that included non-silver plated ones as well as silver-plated ones. There are more non-plated ones out there and I've only run across one other silver-plated one in all these years.

WoW Mike, That is a real beauty, too! There are subtle differences between the two which makes it even more fascinating!! Thanks for sharing with us! Just for curiosity sakes, does yours still have the shank?

Great button find :icon_thumleft: :icon_scratch: rare / scarce ::) it is significant and not a common find or we all would have one . Congrats to your friend and Thanks for posting 8)

creskol said:
Mike Moutray said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

WoW Mike, That is a real beauty, too! There are subtle differences between the two which makes it even more fascinating!! Thanks for sharing with us! Just for curiosity sakes, does yours still have the shank?

Yes it has a full shank left, came out of the ground with traces of thread still in it. HH, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back