Kaboom... what a morning....

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Had some honey do's to take care of. Painted the garage doors this morning. Primer coat and a finish coat. Had wife move her car out of the garage so she would not be housebound while the paint dried. Finished both coats and came inside to look at the forum. The second coat has been on and drying for about an hour.

My daughter ( who was in bed while I was doing my hone do's, had no idea the garage door was painted. She attempted to open the door with the electric door opener. All I heard was KABOOM and a loud scream.

Scared the you know what out of me. I run to the garage and the lever attached to the garage door from the opener has ripped itself off the door taking three huge screws with it. Apparently the rubber weather stripping on the door became fused to the door when I painted it. and welded the door in place. I could not manually lift the door. Even though freeing up the strips on both sided of the door did not take much effort, it was enough tension to hold the door in place.

The aluminum center that the screws attach to is a bit bowed and the holes where the screws attach look like little volcanoes.

Hammered every thing flat and stuck some anchors in and reattached. Appears to be working OK. Really wanted to attach a piece of aluminum over the damaged area and re-drill he holes, but did not have any thing on hand. Anchors seem to be doing the trick.

What a morning.

Think I will just go detecting tomorrow...... LOL

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I've had days like that, they are not very fun.

Hope yours gets better.

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Hi Ray,

When I installed my opener years ago I put a short piece of 2x4 behind the channel where the opener arm attaches to the door. I then ran a carriage bolt through the door and wood and arm attachment to make the whole thing solid. That way the weight of the door was not demendent on just the screws through the arm into the thin steel channel.

Hope that made sense...I cannot take a picture since I am out of town.

all the best,

Jim

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
EdleBrock said:
Hi Ray,

When I installed my opener years ago I put a short piece of 2x4 behind the channel where the opener arm attaches to the door. I then ran a carriage bolt through the door and wood and arm attachment to make the whole thing solid. That way the weight of the door was not demendent on just the screws through the arm into the thin steel channel.

Hope that made sense...I cannot take a picture since I am out of town.

all the best,

Jim

I understand what you are saying.

The braces on my door appear to have some kind of adhesive on the edges holding it to the door. Neve noticed this till today.

I have two doors. On has an opener and one does not. I had considered swapping the arms but noticed the ahdesive stuff on the edges and decided that I had enough problems at the moment without causing additonal damage.

Like your idea of the 2x4. Will keep it in mind.
Thanks.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Can I play too? thursday last week I got up,hearing what sounded like a back up beeper. It was my implant beeping. so I called the heart people, they requested a tape. ten minutes later I recieved a call,to get to the hospital now! ,and dont drive!!! I spent the two days I was going to repair the garage doors,in the hospital,getting a new implant and lots of BIG bruises. Should of just done the doors. ok now. Bob

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
lonesomebob said:
Can I play too? thursday last week I got up,hearing what sounded like a back up beeper. It was my implant beeping. so I called the heart people, they requested a tape. ten minutes later I recieved a call,to get to the hospital now! ,and dont drive!!! I spent the two days I was going to repair the garage doors,in the hospital,getting a new implant and lots of BIG bruises. Should of just done the doors. ok now. Bob

Bob,
Hope all is well with you now. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread